Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine diagnostics request
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Ok so what is happening with your engine is it's too hot in your engine compartment for that fuel pump and those fuel lines running everywhere like that. Carb Technology and fuel systems had to change in order to tolerate todays gasoline with it's lower boiling point. Fuel systems now are pressurized and recirculate some gas back to the tank so there is always a little fuel flow to keep the lines cool so cars don't vapor lock on ethanol gas.
An electric fuel pump is a step in the right direction and I think if you go in and replace leaking fuel lines with good quality fuel line and mount that fuel pump or better yet a new fuel pump mounted on the under side of the bus through the floor there under the back seat where it's sloped. It would be mounted only be about 1 foot forward from where it is now. The vapor locking will clear up.
CB-Performance has good quality fuel line and fuel pumps. Use hose clamps on the fuel line if you go with the SAE 1/4" id fuel line. 5mm fuel line for stock solex carbs Not sure what you need.

If you have not sealed around the engine good to keep heat from below from entering the engine compartment that will help as well. I am not sure but there may be a kit for fitting your Type 4 1700cc engine into your early bay.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

I have virtually the same setup as yours (look up threads I started, not many hehe) and the pump going louder softer sounds a lot like fuel not getting to it. That said, my pump was just a loud thing, so I changed it.

I've heard that some pumps "push" better than "pull" as well. Perhaps yours pushes better? Maybe try relocating it under the bus (I have a thread on that too) and wire up a relay or two to control how things work.

As for minor leaks, well, any leak should be fixed and since you're doing that, pay close attention to how fuel lines could be routed to avoid the whole gravity feed thing...ie, keep your lines high up the engine compartment.

Good luck!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Ok, the electric fuel pump simply getting louder and softer is totally normal. When the carb float opens, the pump gets louder, then the float closes, and the pump gets quieter.

If you said, "hey guys, I realize my pump gets louder and quieter, but now its twice as bad as before" then I would say maybe something to it.

It sounds more to me that once you had a problem, you started looking for signs of "things" happening, and notice the fuel pump getting louder and quieter and thought this was a issue.

if you want to stop guessing, drive it till issue happens, pull over, leave [b]ignition OFF, pull air filter and pump carb and see gas comes out. if gas comes out, then its your coil like I said before in previous post. if gas does NOT come out of accelerator pump jet, then yes you got a fuel issue. Your filter is plugging up or replace your pump.[/b]
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Alright, the new information, I relocated my fuel pump to under the bus virtually right below where it come out of the tank. It pumps great! It would fill a coke can in 15-20 seconds. I bought a cheapo ignition coil, and put it on, didn't change a thing. So that leaves the carbs. I'm going to pull them off and clean em up and put them back on. They did sit for a year almost so they could have clogged. I'll report back when I'm done with that.

Does anyone have other thoughts than that? Also, my mechanic friend who drove the bus thinks that it is essentially flooding its self, so I'll be paying close attention to the float.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your help, I'll let you know if it ends up being fuel starvation tomorrow night.

And for everyone's entertainment, this is all this reminds me of: https://www.google.com/search?q=dick+from+the+inte...IIUTAUM%3A
Laughing Laughing

I have my electric pump mounted right under the tank - opposite the master cylinder in my Oval. The thing is ridiculously loud. I too had read that this is the best location for it - pushing fuel rather than pulling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
I have virtually the same setup as yours (look up threads I started, not many hehe) and the pump going louder softer sounds a lot like fuel not getting to it. That said, my pump was just a loud thing, so I changed it.

I've heard that some pumps "push" better than "pull" as well. Perhaps yours pushes better? Maybe try relocating it under the bus (I have a thread on that too) and wire up a relay or two to control how things work.

As for minor leaks, well, any leak should be fixed and since you're doing that, pay close attention to how fuel lines could be routed to avoid the whole gravity feed thing...ie, keep your lines high up the engine compartment.

Good luck!

So when you had this similar problem, was it ever under load? Also, the conclusion was that your gaskets that mate your intake header to your heads were leaking? I'll check that before removing my carbs tomorrow.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

You aren't doing yourself any favor fastening the pump directly to the
sheetmetal cover of the fuel tank, it's like the surface of a snare drum.
If the PO did it, at least put a barrier of rubber mat sandwiched in there
to cut the echo-chamber effect. Run a separate ground wire if needed.
When it's loud, it's re-loading your drained carbs, or pumping vapor. Sad
I use a rubber grommet isolated pump myself, into 34 icts. When you get
it set up, it is the lowest maintenance dual carb set around.
Your running issue could be just one float failing/maladjusted, keeping
the other 2 cylinder bogged down.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
You aren't doing yourself any favor fastening the pump directly to the
sheetmetal cover of the fuel tank, it's like the surface of a snare drum.
If the PO did it, at least put a barrier of rubber mat sandwiched in there
to cut the echo-chamber effect. Run a separate ground wire if needed.
When it's loud, it's re-loading your drained carbs, or pumping vapor. Sad
I use a rubber grommet isolated pump myself, into 34 icts. When you get
it set up, it is the lowest maintenance dual carb set around.
Your running issue could be just one float failing/maladjusted, keeping
the other 2 cylinder bogged down.

It isn't to the sheet metal below the tank, it's essentially on the frame. (No I didn't drill into the frame)

And I'm hoping it is the float too. That's be easy to fix.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Alright, so I took apart and cleaned out my carbs. They had some deposits in them, but nothing too bad. But what is interesting is my jetting set up. Ready?

Emulsion tube: f8
Air main: 160
Jet main: 130
Idle jet: 40

So, I went about the Weber setup proceedure: http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm

Needless to say it didn't work well. I had to turn out my mixture idle speed screw 3 turns and my mixture screw to two and a half. And I still had to gas it to get it going and heat up a bit. Before it would "run like a tractor".

Thoughts and opinions? Can I tune this but just suck, or do I need to change out my jets? If so. Suggestions on what jets sizes to try first?

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

I assume the floats were both still good, and both needle & seats shut
off cleanly, I know it's a hassle with out an access panel but you may
have to idle it & check with a mirror, air filters off, to see if you have gas
pouring out the main venturi of one of those carbs.
Seeing as you already ran a different coil, the other problem is shorted
condenser, if you're running points for ignition.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
I assume the floats were both still good, and both needle & seats shut
off cleanly, I know it's a hassle with out an access panel but you may
have to idle it & check with a mirror, air filters off, to see if you have gas
pouring out the main venturi of one of those carbs.
Seeing as you already ran a different coil, the other problem is shorted
condenser, if you're running points for ignition.

yes, both floats were good and the needles and seats seemed to be working well. There was some junk in the float bowl, which i cleaned out. But there wasn't ton. I'll check my condenser/distributor and make sure it all is up to snuff tonight before my test drive. Thank you for replying.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

I would assume you need bigger idle jets to start with. Say 50, or 55?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
I would assume you need bigger idle jets to start with. Say 50, or 55?

I thought that and my main jet both seemed kind of small, just after reading what other people are running. But I have never touched jetting, this is actually my first time touching carbs before. Also first times for setting distributor points, setting timing, adjusting valve lash, and working on a air-cooled engine... lots of firsts. Lots of research. It has me a little freaked out on figuring out what is going on with my engine. But they seem pretty straight forward and I think I'll really end up liking their simplicity.

Anyways, once I get this thing running would you suggest I go someplace reputable to get my jetting done? or should I just get a jet kit and fiddle with it until I find something responsive that doesn't over heat my engine.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

well, I'll be removing my gas tank for a quick cleaning early next week (Monday probably) and if that doesn't fix my problem I will be having it towed to a reputable shop in Detroit (Munks Motors) Sad and hopefully they will be able to get it right. Unless anyone else has ideas on this topic. I'm sure I have left information out, so throw out ideas/questions if you want. Ill answer them asap.

Ive never had any of my cars towed to get fixed... It's so defeating.

surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Baby Webers , ICT 34 -- my setup on a 2.0 type 4 is
idle 60 , main 160 , air 185 , emulsion f 6 . At sea level .
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646211&highlight=ict+jetting
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

An air-fuel meter is a worthwhile investment, I think you can even rent one from Aircooled.net. if it's just for this once.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

I dropped her off at Munks motors yesterday. Really nice people, even showed me the shop and current projects. They have a 10 day wait, but ill keep you posted on what it ends up being. The master mechanic's first comment was "I bet you have a contaminated gas tank"... I'll be kicking myself if that is what it is, because I was just too lazy to properly test for that...

So I'll keep you posted on what they find out.

Till later

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

did you ever check the tank breather?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
did you ever check the tank breather?

Yes, I took the cap off the fuel filler, no change.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: