Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine diagnostics request
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

So, here is the engine: 1700cc CB type 4 engine, dual Weber 34ict (assume standard jetting for the carbs, I haven't touched them nor did I install them), 009 distributor, timing at 30°btdc. (Ask if you want any other specs)

Scenario (when at operating temp): runs well for maybe 30 seconds, then once I'm in third gear for a little bit (holding 35mph) it starts to stutter, then I lose a lot of power and have to coast, turn it off and wait for a little bit before starting back up and going through the same process again. I was about to drive a little longer if I was easy on the gas.

Ideas of what could be causing this?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Sounds like it is fuel starved......what kind of fuel pump are you using?

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Sounds like it is fuel starved......what kind of fuel pump are you using?

Unsure, on what it is. Seems to be a aftermarket deal. And it has been getting pretty loud sometimes, then it gets nice and quiet again. Here is a bad picture of it (sorry only one I have). It's mounted to the firewall there. Brass colored and is pretty much a square box with an inlet and outlet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Ever pulled the strainer out of the tank outlet?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ever pulled the strainer out of the tank outlet?

The gas tank was supposedly cleaned about 2 years ago. It may have gotten crap in it since then (dust, or other crap)

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Those use to be called a Facet pump.....just a small electric pump. Pull the fuel line from one carb and measure how much fuel it is pumping (with the pump running) You should get 300 to 400 cc's in a minute. That is about a beer can full.

If you aren't getting that much flow, do what Busdaddy said to do.....there is a strainer on the fitting coming out of the tank (inside the tank)

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Is there possibly a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump under the bus that could be clogged as well?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

My guess is the coil. They do that exact thing you described. Soon as they get warm they start stuttering like your saying. Shut it off and coil cools, and will work for awhile again.
got another coil? Give it a try, easy swap.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

If it started doing this with the warm days then I would think it's vapor locking. Electric Fuel pump should fix that. Or does it already have an electric fuel pump? Mount it near the tank where it is cool. Did you use seal around that 1700 engine to keep the hot air out of your engine compartment?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Alright, lots to answer.

Fuel filter, yes there is one, no it isn't very clean, yes I'll change that first. (I have new filters already)

Then I'll try pulling the fuel lines off the pump and make sure it is pumping about a beer can a minute. If it isn't, can those be cleaned or do I have just have to get a new fuel pump? If so, suggestions on a good deal for my money?

The tank strainer, I also think is pretty clean. When I took the fuel line off the fuel filter it was spraying good. I think it will be down stream of the tank.

I do not have a new coil, so I'll check this last. Suggestions on a place to get a good coil? Will an auto parts store have one? Or will I need to order one online?

And thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

When a facet pump gets loud it is starving for fuel. So I would say there is some type of restriction before the pump, or you are running out of gas

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

The fuel pump needs to be under the car where it's cool, not mounted in the engine compartment. But if you could find ethanol free gas it should clear up the problem.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
The fuel pump needs to be under the car where it's cool, not mounted in the engine compartment. But if you could find ethanol free gas it should clear up the problem.

AND it needs to be properly wired with a relay so that it only pumps when the starter is operated and then while the engine is running.
this is probably the most common saftey issue i see an nearly all carbed T4 buses.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
Danwvw wrote:

AND it needs to be properly wired with a relay so that it only pumps when the starter is operated and then while the engine is running.
this is probably the most common saftey issue i see an nearly all carbed T4 buses.

Yes, I do not have a relay. I have just been aware of it so far and will look into that correction soon. Maybe now.

How will the ethanol free gas help? I'm running 93 octane, but it has ethanol.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
When a facet pump gets loud it is starving for fuel. So I would say there is some type of restriction before the pump, or you are running out of gas

Would this potentially be from say a leak in my fuel line draining my fuel filter out? (This is one thing I think it may be.)

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Would this potentially be from say a leak in my fuel line draining my fuel filter out? (This is one thing I think it may be.)

Really? Are you actually that,,,,,,,,,,,,, not smart enough to figure this out?

"leak in my fuel line"

"why does my car run bad" Whatever
Gotta love the typical vw person, my dog has a higher IQ

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

"leak in my fuel line"

I'm talking a drop or two a night, and if your dog has my IQ and you haven't made him a star yet, I guess we've found a reason for business schools.

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

"leak in my fuel line"

I'm talking a drop or two a night, and if your dog has my IQ and you haven't made him a star yet, I guess we've found a reason for business schools.

A fuel leak is a fuel leak, doesn't matter if it is a drop or a gush, a fuel leak is a fuel leak.....Even my dumb dog knows this

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your help, I'll let you know if it ends up being fuel starvation tomorrow night.

And for everyone's entertainment, this is all this reminds me of: https://www.google.com/search?q=dick+from+the+inte...IIUTAUM%3A

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine diagnostics request Reply with quote

"Anyone can own a dog,
but only love will make him wag his tail."-------Kinky Friedman, Kerrville, Texas

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: