Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mouse in van - dammit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

I see GoWesty has a rodent ingress prevention kit for eurovans. How do I stop them from coming into my 87? Do you think he's living in the dash (which is where I saw him last night) or did he just come in that once? This guy is not afraid of me, either. He was walking ar0ound last night like he owned the title.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - damnit. Reply with quote

To be fair... he might be in it more often than you are... if he's living there any way.

My dad always had one surefire method for keeping mice out of all our VW's, but somehow I don't think it's going to help you much here... or quickly... as he just liked to keep a cat or two around the garage.

I'd set your trap of choice (live or not) and capture him for removal... and then keep active traps near where you keep your van... Mice aren't really choosy of taking "easy" food where available.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
How do I stop them from coming into my 87?

Read this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326 and this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613451 .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or maybe this belongs in the ashtray hack thread.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Daizee's peppermint oil is your friend.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

When you block off the holes between fresh air vent and screen,
if you use wire mesh to do so, be aware of
height of fasteners you may use; they can interfere with how well the front grill
fits. (they can push the grill away causing those Mickey Mouse slot head screws to not work properly)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Westy1999 wrote:
How do I stop them from coming into my 87?

Read this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326 and this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613451 .

Wow lots of info. Thanks for those links. The mouse came again in the middle the night last night I'm just crawled over my no kill trap gave me the finger then went back underneath the dash. I just wonder what the hell it's doing the rest of the time because I never hear it
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

He's just working on the wiring for you 😀
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Forthwithtx - you earn my belly laugh of the day! Great picture.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:

... The mouse came again in the middle the night last night I'm just crawled over my no kill trap gave me the finger then went back underneath the dash. I just wonder what the hell it's doing the rest of the time because I never hear it

I'm sorry but your writing elicits actual LOL's from me.
(as did Forthwithtx image)
But. The mouse issue, is not funny in the least.

The mouse may be building a nest. They chew on stuff. It's what they do.
Well, that and crap/pee which can be a health hazard (google)
The leave a trail with their urine which they and possibly other mice, follow.
They chew wires, rubber, whatever. On my bus, they also chewed the air
tubes to/from the heat exchanger behind dash. It's possible they entered via the
fresh air ram, got in that box then chewed their way out. Their own mini
"Shaw shank"

You need to deal with this issue ASAP.

Neil.

images of mouse damage though it happened over some time. Mice LOVE
buses that sit undisturbed.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

put peanut butter in the trap

if that does not work, use a snap trap with that and/or cheese

do not seal any exits yet
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Peppermint oil on cotton balls in a jar with holes in the lid will keep them out.

Aloaha
tp
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

whatever you do... do NOT "kill it with fire."

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Just an update: The mouse came out again last night, same time (around midnight). That's three nights in a row. I'm camping in my van but travel in to town daily. I wonder if it lives in the woods where I camp and comes in just to terrorize me.

I heard knocking noises, turned on my flashlight and pointed it under the steering wheel where the noises were coming from. Then, a 1" size piece of graham cracker fell down from the dash to the floor mat. I don't even eat graham crackers! It gave me a lot of satisfaction to quickly grab the cracker and throw it out the door.

The no-kill trap set with peanut butter does nothing but give the mouse a better perch to stand on and watch me sleep.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Go with a kill trap, be done with the rodent! Nothing more satisfying than the "SNAP!" Of a trap at 2am.......

Go here, scroll down to "RODENT PROBLEMS" and plug/eliminate every possible entry point!

Then set out the deterrent of choice as an added measure.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Go with a kill trap, be done with the rodent! Nothing more satisfying than the "SNAP!" Of a trap at 2am.......

Go here, scroll down to "RODENT PROBLEMS" and plug/eliminate every possible entry point!

Dave

I checked the links and will be mouse-proofing shortly. I don't want to kill this one. I want to trap it and look him in the eyes to let him who won.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I checked the links and will be mouse-proofing shortly. I don't want to kill this one. I want to trap it and look him in the eyes to let him who won.

Glue trap........

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333518

don't miss this classic
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:

Or maybe this belongs in the ashtray hack thread.

coffee | nose > keyboard

but those little packets of poison are supposed to drive them out to look for water before they expire...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse in van - dammit Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
... I want to trap it and look him in the eyes to let him who won.

A walnut half dipped in bacon grease for bait. with a rubber band around the bait and trigger.

My grandfather used a stick balanced on the edge of a five gallon bucket with two gallons of water. You can look him in the eyes and then put a lid on the bucket and fill it with water.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: