Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toilet Install Story "American Standard"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

I have bought my water closets for my house and my rental from "homers deport" (please, mark, it's getting old) and I have had no problems whatsoever. Although I do admit I did not buy the bottom line cheap units. Same with sinks and fittings.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Fooled you.

Did you buy it from a big box store or from a plumbing supplier? Stores like home Depot use their purchasing muscle to force manufacturers to meet a low price point which forces them to make cheaper versions of their products. A plumbing supplier will carry the real deal.

Toro lawn mowers at Home Depot have plastic cams.
Schlage locksets have plastic internals and can be snapped off with a hammer. Ones bought at a locksmith are all metal.

Very true. American Standard probably still makes decent stuff, but you can't buy it at a box store. Same goes for lawn mowers, etc. You will pay more at a supply house, but you will get better stuff, and a better warranty.

If it's the same UPC, then the same.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Fooled you.

Did you buy it from a big box store or from a plumbing supplier? Stores like home Depot use their purchasing muscle to force manufacturers to meet a low price point which forces them to make cheaper versions of their products. A plumbing supplier will carry the real deal.

Toro lawn mowers at Home Depot have plastic cams.
Schlage locksets have plastic internals and can be snapped off with a hammer. Ones bought at a locksmith are all metal.

Very true. American Standard probably still makes decent stuff, but you can't buy it at a box store. Same goes for lawn mowers, etc. You will pay more at a supply house, but you will get better stuff, and a better warranty.

If it's the same UPC, then the same.

True. But if you do some research into the products, you will find what Glenn wrote is also true. The large chains force manufacturers to produce cheaper product lines that they can sell in their stores at a lower price point, even if it has the same name as the more expensive stuff. Consumers bite on it all the time.

I cannot exclude myself from this. I have a Glacier Bay sink faucet from HD in my bathroom. It has worked flawlessly for 16 years and counting. If I were to buy a new faucet today, I would buy from a supply house over HD.

On Friday, I installed a two piece pre-formed laminate countertop in a kitchen, then dropped in an old 66" farm sink. That countertop was a piece of garbage, and very difficult to make the seams disappear. It had heat activated glue pieces designed to be ironed into place to cover the ends. Looks like shit. It will probably fail in a few years, but the homeowner just wants it done so she can sell the house. Then it will be someone else's problem. If this were anyone but the daughter of a good friend, I probably would have talked them into letting me build a good solid top and doing my own laminate job.

I also hung seven interior doors from HD, and did all the base and case which was MDF paint grade junk. But it will look pretty once painted, no matter that it will likely fall apart in a decade. Oh well.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

I guess I'll wait it out. I bought all this stuff several years ago FWIW.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Got a response today from the "American Standard Company".

"Tina" their customer service rep. said; "Send a copy of your receipt and a photo of the damage. As a one courtesy we will send you a new lid. But, the china will only be damaged by impact."

"China" !!!! What freaking china !!!! The lid is all plastic !!!!

"Oh" well, its about what I expected.

"American Standard" .... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

oh yours was plastic? mine was pressed cardboard that cracked&pinched my ass, thats when i got another and added the extra feet .I dont recall seeing plastic seats. the china ones wood be good fer cutting a fart when they break Shocked and hope that they dont cut nutten else off.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Got another response this afternoon (2nd one).

Question: "Did you sit on it?"

"Folks" I'm not making this up, that was the last question asked!

Good Grief ... Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

HAHAHA!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Laughing Better check the fine print on those instructions, there's likely something buried in there about it being a decorative item only and sitting on it voids all warrantys.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
Got another response this afternoon (2nd one).

Question: "Did you sit on it?"

"Folks" I'm not making this up, that was the last question asked!

Good Grief ... Brick wall

The plastic lid on my old toilet feels a little thin when sitting on it and I'm pretty light by American Standards (haha, get it?!?)

Maybe newer ones aren't made to be sat on?
Seems dumb though
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

That one "tank"ed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

I'm telling you- Toto is the one.

I can relax and complete the daily crossword puzzle as the sun gently passes over the house.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

I can relax and complete the daily crossword puzzle as the sun gently passes over the house.

I have no idea what brand our toilet is. But when we move (hopefully soon) it is going with us. It is fantastically comfortable, and has only plugged a handful of times in our 18 years of ownership.

Maybe I will stop by Home Depot on moving day to pick up an American Standard for the new owner to enjoy.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Update:

Receive a 3rd e-mail today.

E-mail:

"The lid is not designed to be sat on and could break"
"It is more of an ornamental item"
"Included in the kit for those who can't afford a higher end product"
"Most likely would need to purchase a stronger lid"

This just keeps getting better and better! Shocked
I'm beginning to think that I'm talking with someone who has never used a toilet before, maybe from a third world country. Laughing

Anyway, sent a copy of the receipt and a picture of the damage.
Will be interesting to see what happens.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
So it came time to do the dirty deed.
Went to a local major home improvement center to purchase a new toilet.
Settled on an "American Standard" mid-range priced toilet at $200.00.
Finished the installation.
First time usage, the seat cracked and broke!!!

Got the paper work out and low-n-behold the seat was made in "China"!

"American Standard" .... :wink:

Is this toilet for your personal usage ?
If so, mid-range toilets don't start at $200. that's a low-end POS and they flush terrible too.
I'm a Plumber by Trade and when you purchase something for your personal use, buy nothing but the best. $350. is the mid-range starting price with a quiet closure and easy clean toilet seat are $50.- $80. more.
Those $200. toilets with that garbage seat included are for rentals or resale homes ... cheap, cheap junk.
Don't buy one of those cushion or wood toilet seats as they are nothing but bacteria breeding grounds.
As the saying goes "you get what you paid for".
Nothing is to good for your tush.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
So it came time to do the dirty deed.
Went to a local major home improvement center to purchase a new toilet.
Settled on an "American Standard" mid-range priced toilet at $200.00.
Finished the installation.
First time usage, the seat cracked and broke!!!

Got the paper work out and low-n-behold the seat was made in "China"!

"American Standard" .... Wink

Is this toilet for your personal usage ?
If so, mid-range toilets don't start at $200. that's a low-end POS and they flush terrible too.
I'm a Plumber by Trade and when you purchase something for your personal use, buy nothing but the best. $350. is the mid-range starting price with a quiet closure and easy clean toilet seat are $50.- $80. more.
Those $200. toilets with that garbage seat included are for rentals or resale homes ... cheap, cheap junk.
Don't buy one of those cushion or wood toilet seats as they are nothing but bacteria breeding grounds.
As the saying goes "you get what you paid for".
Nothing is to good for your tush.

It was on sale, marked down from $275.00.
It actually has all the features you've described, its just that the seat /cover is a POS.
We clean our toilets (2) all the time and don't have any worries about bacteria.
They had them all the up to close to a $1000.00 but, that is a bit eccentric I think.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

OK, just so I'm clear. Your problem was with the lid and not the ring? When I use my toilet the lid is always up. The ring of course is dependent on the need. So did you break the lid or the ring? If you broke the lid, why were you sitting on it in the first place? If you broke the ring, then, yeah, that is a "shitty" toilet. Just wondering...
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Don't your legs fall asleep? Able to stand up and walk after that length of time? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

oh mine was the seat not the lid, I lift my lid Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes ...but I do have to addmit Confused .....the one I changed a few weeks ago from the broken hinges was the top lid hinges....as it's in my shop and the bathroom is a 4x5 room with toilet, water heater above it on a shelf(30 gal type) and some bare unmachined head castings on the shelf above the loovered doors, 6 or 7 sets of pistons on the shelf above the shiter next to the water heater, various other parts&new tinware, and my valve spring shim assortment cabnet(VSI) is on the wall under the shelf and above the toilet, so... I dont have a clue as to how it got broke Wink Cool Idea it could of been my fat ass...or rather the feet holding up my fat ass.
and NO you do not have to buy a $350 toilet to get a good one. thats just another ripoff. and the plumer selling you that one... well he's ...... I do like the big flush valves in some of the newer toilets they work better.(mine have them) that 350 toilet cost withen 20 of the cheep one to make. have you ever seen how they make them??? many are made in the dirt/sand out in the yard, by hand by a real craftsman making probably $3 an hour in Mexico. there seems to be a lot of profit in crap.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
there seems to be a lot of profit in crap.

Mark, this is the clearest, most profound statement I have ever read from your posts. And I generally have a very hard time reading them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: