Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toilet Install Story "American Standard"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

So it came time to do the dirty deed.
Went to a local major home improvement center to purchase a new toilet.
Settled on an "American Standard" mid-range priced toilet at $200.00.
Finished the installation.
First time usage, the seat cracked and broke!!!

Got the paper work out and low-n-behold the seat was made in "China"!

"American Standard" .... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Fooled you.

Did you buy it from a big box store or from a plumbing supplier? Stores like home Depot use their purchasing muscle to force manufacturers to meet a low price point which forces them to make cheaper versions of their products. A plumbing supplier will carry the real deal.

Toro lawn mowers at Home Depot have plastic cams.
Schlage locksets have plastic internals and can be snapped off with a hammer. Ones bought at a locksmith are all metal.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Fooled you.

Did you buy it from a big box store or from a plumbing supplier? Stores like home Depot use their purchasing muscle to force manufacturers to meet a low price point which forces them to make cheaper versions of their products. A plumbing supplier will carry the real deal.

Schlage locksets have plastic internals and can be snapped off with a hammer. Ones bought at a locksmith are all metal.

That's our 'Global Economy' for you. Confused

(the other big box store...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

That's the American standard, buy it all from third world countries, make a profit, and let the banks glean a percentage off the top by people putting it on a credit card & then the bank gets to charge them interest too.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

What an age we live in. Sad
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Trade that throne in on a Toto. Best office chair I ever bought. Great flush, easy parts replacement, nary a skidtrack...

Right after we built our house, my wife was mad at me because I scribbled a sign on the inside of the bathroom door that said, "Kansas, I don't think I'm on Toto anymore."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:

What a bunch of crap !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
............Finished the installation.

{then later}

............Got the paper work out ............

So you didn't read the instructions until after the installation was complete? Razz Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
So it came time to do the dirty deed.
Went to a local major home improvement center to purchase a new toilet.
Settled on an "American Standard" mid-range priced toilet at $200.00.
Finished the installation.

Got the paper work out and low-n-behold the seat was made in "China"!

"American Standard" .... Wink

I wonder who you'll be voting for? Laughing please don't respond, I'm just joking.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

What a bunch of crap !!!

Truly, it was the shits !!!
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

{then later}

So you didn't read the instructions until after the installation was complete? Razz Wink

I'm a true man .... Not talking
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

{then later}

Unless the instructions had a maximum weight limit, what good would it have been if he read them?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

{then later}

That's the American way!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
Cusser wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

What a bunch of crap !!!

Truly, it was the shits !!!

Your puns are leaving me flushed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

I added a set of extra feet under the seet inbetween the other set so it would not break. as in everything these days you have to look andfigure out what needs to be done befor ever putting them into usage. funny thing is I just threw that seat way this week. the seat was fine but the hindges of the lid broke...the lid wtf??? this is the one in my shop. how did the hindges break...cheep china plastic. and new hindges almost as much as a new seat. then I remembered I had a nice oak seat with brass hindges up on a storage shelf in the house. now my shop shitter has some style Shocked . I dont like the am std stuff any more. and the toilets were not quite right. I got the jucuzzie for my house, then another for the other bathroom in my house, then one for my daughters home in tenn. it's the best toilet I ever sat on that sucker will eat almost anything you put/drop in it lickety split!! no reflush and it takes it all. and ......priced right about $118 at lowes when I got the first one 8 years ago and $118 when I got the one up in tenn 2 years ago. seat was good as I recall. I dont know but american std may just be like the rest of the companys that sold thier name to china for a royalty.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

[quote="mark tucker"]I added a set of extra feet under the seet inbetween the other set so it would not break. as in everything these days you have to look andfigure out what needs to be done befor ever putting them into usage. funny thing is I just threw that seat way this week. the seat was fine but the hindges of the lid broke...the lid wtf??? this is the one in my shop. how did the hindges break...cheep china plastic. and new hindges almost as much as a new seat. then I remembered I had a nice oak seat with brass hindges up on a storage shelf in the house. now my shop shitter has some style Shocked . I dont like the am std stuff any more. and the toilets were not quite right. I got the jucuzzie for my house, then another for the other bathroom in my house, then one for my daughters home in tenn. it's the best toilet I ever sat on that sucker will eat almost anything you put/drop in it lickety split!! no reflush and it takes it all. and ......priced right about $118 at lowes when I got the first one 8 years ago and $118 when I got the one up in tenn 2 years ago. seat was good as I recall. I dont know but american std may just be like the rest of the companys that sold thier name to china for a royalty.[/quote

Interesting, will check them out, thanks!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

You mean "American subStandard"
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

{then later}

When I was a kid and needed the bathroom when my dad was in there, he would always tell me he was just finishing the paperwork. When I read this post, that is where my mind went immediately. Laughing

Last edited by cdennisg on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Fooled you.

Very true. American Standard probably still makes decent stuff, but you can't buy it at a box store. Same goes for lawn mowers, etc. You will pay more at a supply house, but you will get better stuff, and a better warranty.

Our plumbing contractors (I am a home builder) refuse to use store-bought fixtures for that reason. If they install it, and it breaks, the homeowner will blame them and refuse to pay for the repair. I have seen it happen before.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Toilet Install Story "American Standard" Reply with quote

the big box stores(louies,homers deport & such) havd pure shite for thier own brands, they may look nice and have the lifetyme warranty but...they dont last, cost so much to replace,no parts available,rust corrision...noise...I put in some fancy pertty and kinda expensive bathroom fans in when I was doing the remodel. they were supposed to be quiet.....wtf I can hear them over the fighter jets roaring over head everyday Shocked and the corrision on the brushed nipple Very Happy oops nickle...and the entire inside thats "galvonized" is total rust in less than 2 years , the pot mettell peices,doodads,nuts are dead and locked tight requiring vicegrips to get it appart.....pure garbage and the flapper ...useless good thing I added an external flapper assy out side where it exzits the house. and now they there in there....they cant be removed without effing up the sheet rock cealings.how effing stupid to make stuff like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: