Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A real barn find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bughut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: A real barn find Reply with quote

As usual Samba comes through. People call BS...Scam..whatever. Tried to get cool cars and parts out there. Want to know why I had so few post over the years?..This is why.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bughut on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

You've got 4 post and 3 pics in 6yrs. on the samba.

calling BS.
think I may have seen that pic before.

Post a pic of you holding the license plate off the split ragtop as varification to your story.

even better-TITLES to show that what your trying to sell actually belongs to you.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

I don't understand the gist of your post bughut. Are you trying to get a teaser going? Are you upset this horde hasn't received enough press- or is losing to the guy in Texas for attention?

One pic and you reference previous posts I don't see makes me think you have very little to do with this N.Mex thing. That is not a barn- it's an intentional beetle storehouse. They weren't "found" there- they were stored there. Big difference.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Gee bughut- other folks who are here frequently know this about "barn finds:"

If you want to sell- you place an ad.

If you want to show off- you tell at least tell a bit of a complete story and provide some pictures and some shred of credentials.

If you are just bragging about someone else's score- you credit them.

You did none of these things. So what is your gig? Are you looking for attention or do you want to sell? Don't use my response as any kind of a barometer- I in no way represent the samba community. Place an ad and provide some details if you are serious- pull up your big boy pants. If you are not, blame us and go about your merry way.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Gee bughut- other folks who are here frequently know this about "barn finds:"

If you want to sell- you place an ad.

If you want to show off- you tell at least tell a bit of a complete story and provide some pictures and some shred of credentials.

If you are just bragging about someone else's score- you credit them.

You did none of these things. So what is your gig? Are you looking for attention or do you want to sell? Don't use my response as any kind of a barometer- I in no way represent the samba community. Place an ad and provide some details if you are serious- pull up your big boy pants. If you are not, blame us and go about your merry way.

Yeah, I saw the same pic posted on facebook some weeks back. Of course it perked my interest, but after wading through a billion of lame comments, and finding no update comment from the original poster, I gave up. Pretty much what the op has done here as well. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Last year on my way back to Arizona I did call a fellow in Clovis NM. I was just passing thru and we did not meet. I think the item shown may be real cannot honestly say. The fellow is retired and at that time wanted to get rid of his VW stuff. So if the items are for sale do be prepared to PAY UP for what ever is offered no dickering either. Honestly I would just pass on it all. I also think that the original poster may possibly have more then one name here on the Samba, not sure. That is my opinion. Also note how the Photo is gone so to me that speaks volumes just sayin.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Interesting photo nonetheless...

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

The term "Barn Find" has become so grossly overused in all car cultures that it has now become sickening to see and I just turn my head and cough.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Yep, right up there with NOS, and patina...

Central Jersey VW Society
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I can't figure out what that radiator shell and hood are from that are resting in the Speedster. Confused
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I can't figure out what that radiator shell and hood are from that are resting in the Speedster. Confused

It looks as though you can only just barely see the right side of a two-section grille. hmmm..
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The term "Barn Find" has become so grossly overused in all car cultures that it has now become sickening to see and I just turn my head and cough.

I dunno - they are out there - I bought this one a couple weeks ago - driven into the barn in 1980 and parked. The straw around it was actually kind of nice since the one brake was stuck - slid easier. I had it towed to my shop shortly after this pic was taken..... Laughing

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

73sports wrote:

... and original miles.
Were those miles on the car when it was sold new? No? then they aren't original. They're aftermarket. Usually installed by a DPO. Laughing Laughing

I think people generally mean actual miles, as in the speedometer hasn't turned over. But often it has.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
73sports wrote:

... and original miles.
Were those miles on the car when it was sold new? No? then they aren't original. They're aftermarket. Usually installed by a DPO. Laughing Laughing

I think people generally mean actual miles, as in the speedometer hasn't turned over. But often it has.

Original miles makes me laugh......Not sure that folks remember that odometer "adjustments" at dealers were the norm years ago. My Dad's 65 magically lost 30,000 miles in the span of a week at the dealer he traded it in at.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
iowegian wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

It looks as though you can only just barely see the right side of a two-section grille. hmmm..

30s era BMW 303 roadster- maybe shit just got real. Cool

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
iowegian wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

30s era BMW 303 roadster- maybe shit just got real. Cool

Nice work!!!

vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

I don't doubt anything until proven. Usually stories have some truth. There was 7 split beetles sold out of a building (maybe not a barn) in North Carolina in the last 2 years all from one place. Stored for a long long time. 3 of them were convertibles. I didn't believe that one but it was true and now they are all gone. I should have laid out the big bucks and bought them all. I heard of an Enzmann car years ago sitting in a garage with 1250 miles on it. That one turned out to be true as well and was bought by Joe Ruiz. They are still out there.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

Any news on this? Confused
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675461

The gentleman from New Mexico, Jack Quaif, is in transit today (03/28/17) to the site. There was some attorneys ythaty got involved, but now all that is resolved. He is the ONLY contact point for the owners, and has been inventorying the barns since this was originally posted.
There is a seller in Colorado Springs claiming to be the contact point, he is not.

Jack will be posting the cars, the inventory, and the location (according to him) this week
>Click< to see my stuff for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Dub Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: A real barn find Reply with quote

HiTest,

Yeah, this story just resurfaced again this week on FaceBook and I see new traffic here on The Samba. Based on everything I've read, I think "bughut" and "vwluvrs" is the same person (Jack Quaif). Don't know why a bug shop owner in Clovis, NM would have a hand in the estate auction of a man who died in Wellington, KS. Just too bizarre. I called an estate attorney and 2 auction houses in Wellington and nobody knows anything about these cars.

hitest wrote:
I don't understand the gist of your post bughut. Are you trying to get a teaser going? Are you upset this horde hasn't received enough press- or is losing to the guy in Texas for attention?

One pic and you reference previous posts I don't see makes me think you have very little to do with this N.Mex thing. That is not a barn- it's an intentional beetle storehouse. They weren't "found" there- they were stored there. Big difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: