Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

I'm planning on using the Thing off road as much as on the road and that leaves me thinking about just how do I want to finish the body off? I'm not excited about a hours and hours of body work and a super shiny paint job. especially knowing I will be popping brush on occasion and who know what else. So that got me looking around at some options. I think Im going to tackle a digital desert camouflage paint job. Ive seen all types of home done camo techniques but this one looked pretty cool to me. It appears that starting with a light base color and working the patterns from light to darker is the secrete. Was wondering if anyone else here has used this technique? Any precautions or tricks to make it easier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-BWx0JWEc

I just ordered up a 5 foot by 2 magnetic flexible sheeting to cut and uses as templates. I will order a few quarts of hot rod flatz desert storm tan for the base coat then buy a few cans of assorted flat finish colors at Home Depot. Looking for thought and further guidance... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Considered it about 5 years ago. I thought a vinyl wrap would be easier.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the end though I thought it would be better overt rather covert. People drive crazy around here. ....and for that reason, I seldom drive after dusk.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Okay, I watched the video. You probably have considered things like not using the same template too many times and not too close together so as not to have a repeating pattern that draws the eye. I was told once that an aspect of successful camo patterns is that they are a variation of three scales and a minimum of three colors. So mix up the scales and colors. Also pay attention to the spacing of the stencil elements on the background so that the relationship of the stencil elements and the background lends itself to the concept of three scales. Does that make sense?

Personally I would pick a not digi pattern. I've never felt that the digi patterns were that effective, since they are based on a shape that doesn't occur in nature. (unless you're camouflaging yourself in a deposit of pyrite. Wink )

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Boy that Thing sure looks good in black! Way beyond where I want to go! Very Happy
Im thinking about something that will be super easy to repair. Thanks fr the input!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Okay, I watched the video. You probably have considered things like not using the same template too many times and not having a repeating pattern that draws the eye. I was told once that an aspect of successful camo patterns is that they are a variation of three scales and a minimum of three colors. So mix up the scales and colors. Also pay attention to the spacing of the stencil elements on the background so that the relationship of the stencil elements and the background lends itself to the concept of three scales. Does that make sense?

Yes he address those issues in the following 3 videos. As far as the pattern variations he suggests using the pieces that are removed from the center of the sheeting can be added back in the center in different ways to change everything up insuring they will stay inconstant. Around minute 3:18 on the last video it shows the finished dash board with all the colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALuNcyPmWCE

Last edited by Metal Twister on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Duplicate Post... Boy did I blow that one! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Metal Twister on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Oh wow..... Shocked I've Never considered magnetic sheet for stencil material!........ That's awesome!!

I like the digicam, love desert tones as well!! I say go for it, and post pics!!! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

Unless you're using it as a hunting vehicle, I would NOT paint the car in camo and then go off into the hinterlands adventuring. If you have a problem, and you're out of cell phone range, the rescue helicopters will not be able to find you by picking out the bright yellow or bright orange Thing from the surrounding boulders/trees/grass/etc...
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

I went with this "Eastern Front" look around 1980.
The white was applied with a paint roller, the green was applied with a broom.
Shocked Shocked Shocked (I've been crazy for a long time)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:
Unless you're using it as a hunting vehicle, I would NOT paint the car in camo and then go off into the hinterlands adventuring. If you have a problem, and you're out of cell phone range, the rescue helicopters will not be able to find you by picking out the bright yellow or bright orange Thing from the surrounding boulders/trees/grass/etc...

LOL We think exactly opposite of each other... That is the whole reason for the camo is to get lost and not found! I tossed out and quit using a cell phone when I left sales. Oh man you have no idea what freedom is if your tied to a cell phone. Specially if you carry it for security or for self preservation reasons? Tell ya what I will do... I will paint the underside of the bikini top bright orange or yellow and if I need a helicopter to see me I will flip the top over so I can be seen?

On a side note I never travel in that deep alone. If I could get the whole group to paint their rigs camo that would be pretty cool but that just isnt going to happen! We do carry race radios and of course CB's for group communications. If we go into Baja someone usually does take a Sat phone along. Funny I'm 60 years old and have been doing this my whole life on 2 wheels. In some 40 plus years I don't think I have ever known anyone who has needed helicopter aid? Interesting thought though. Or maybe I need one of those new Jeeps with the built in black box. That way they can find you anywhere anytime? Heck they can even unlock or lock my doors via satellite or start it and turn it off anywhere in the world.

Oh to be a time traveler crossing the Mojave in a wagon train... Razz

Guess I'm being silly, and at times I just want to get away from all the bad press, electronic distractions, rules and regulations . Primitive camping and enjoying my solitude is all Im wanting to do. Wow, I didn't mean to take this rabbit trail!

If I were normal your response would be spot on... Thanks for the reply and your point is well taken. I need a Vacation! Wink

Last edited by Metal Twister on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

I went with this "Eastern Front" look around 1980.
The white was applied with a paint roller, the green was applied with a broom.
Shocked Shocked Shocked (I've been crazy for a long time)

Broom or what ever you used, you nailed it! How cool and unique is that? Bet you can quickly pick out your Thing at the shows? I'm glad you pictured it with the plane as well... I don't think I have ever seen that pattern before? Looks sweet!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Camouflage Technique... Yea or Nea Reply with quote

You can see this camouflage scheme on a (post war, Spanish built) JU-52 in the film "Where Eagles Dare"

That car is long gone.
It was replaced by my current Thing in 1983.
Which is still going after 33 years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: