Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission issues on a 2003 Beetle
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Transmission issues on a 2003 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi All,

Posting this for a friend as I spend most of my time on the air cooled side.

She has a 2002 Beetle. It recently started making bad noises from the transmission and was becoming undrivable. After taking it to a local shop they recommended rebuilding the transmission. I won't bother with the amount, but it was astronomical and they didn't even do the work themselves. Just took it out, sent it off to be rebuild and put it back in.

So, my question: Anyone know a reputable shop in the Denver area that works on transmissions that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Jay
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission issues on a 2003 Beetle Reply with quote

Even the dealer will not do the rebuild, they'll install a rebuilt unit. Was it already done and still having problems or are you still looking for a shop?
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission issues on a 2003 Beetle Reply with quote

Nope, not done yet... She is trying to make sure that it is worth doing (e.g. not so out of whack with the value of the car) and find a trustworthy place to do it.

I get it. I have a 73 Thing that i have way more invested in that it will ever be worth. Worth it to me Smile

So, yea, if you have recommendations on shops?

jay
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission issues on a 2003 Beetle Reply with quote

Not a clue about the Denver area. If the rest of the car is worth it, and she doesn't plan on selling it any time soon, a new/rebuilt tranny could be worth it. Should still be less than a new vehicle cost.(hopefully) Be sure to have it done by a shop that gives a decent warranty and will back it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: