Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery tender/car won't start
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

My 72 has a relatively new battery. I keep a battery tender on it. A couple of weeks ago, the car wouldn't even turn over. I reconnected the battery tender and let the battery "charge" for 24 hours. The car started right up. Just had the same problem tonight. Any thoughts?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Can you see any swelling or bulging on the sides of your battery?
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Kevin1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

No
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Take your battery back to your battery man. Might be a bad battery.
Batteryman can help.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Take your battery back to your battery man. Might be a bad battery.
Batteryman can help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Kevin1957 wrote:
My 72 has a relatively new battery. I keep a battery tender on it. A couple of weeks ago, the car wouldn't even turn over. I reconnected the battery tender and let the battery "charge" for 24 hours. The car started right up. Just had the same problem tonight. Any thoughts?

Could be an open circuit or short somewhere that is causing a slow drain. Also as mentioned even new batteries may have problems.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Kevin1957 wrote:

Could be an open circuit or short somewhere that is causing a slow drain. Also as mentioned even new batteries may have problems.

Perhaps one of the battery tender connections wasn't quite solid enough when you had initially set it up, and was good enough to allow charging to occur when you reconnected it the second time.

If you're lucky, it could be as simple as that - sometimes those battery tender clamps can make "iffy" connections, particularly when there is either any corrosion on the battery terminals or when they have been sprayed with that protective coating.
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Do you have a newer radio, or any other electronics, with an "always on" hot connection? I did, and it drained my battery, over time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdotConnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Sometimes the wire is labeled 'memory'
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

Or that always faithful hot to clock might be an issue with grounds. It's drained mine before. Crying or Very sad
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender/car won't start Reply with quote

trelms wrote:
Or that always faithful hot to clock might be an issue with grounds. It's drained mine before. Crying or Very sad

Yep. I pulled out a bunch of hair a few weeks ago with battery/charging system problems that I finally traced to the clock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: