Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

I've searched quite a bit and haven't found anything on the net or any vendors listing them so figured I'd ask here. Does anybody know where I can get replacement/repop stickers for a set of 912 Mann & Hummel air cleaners? Mine look okay but I'd like to refinish the air cleaners and replace the stickers afterwards. I'm talking about the black & white labels that are on the part that mounts to the carbs. Thanks for any help. Cool

EDIT: Thought about it and decided that decals was a poor choice of words. They're really more like stickers so I've edited the title and post to reflect that.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

Take one to a sign shop that makes vinyl signs and they can make you some.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

Yeah, that's kinda' what I was thinking. I might know a guy... Maybe I can get a discount! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

Talked to the guy, showed him my air cleaners. He said he can do it. We just need to get together sometime after he remembers to bring his hand-held scanner down to his shop. He's going to make 4 copies of each sticker so I'll have some spares. Price is unbelievably reasonable. Don't know that they'll be perfect but this is for my kit car so they'll probably be good enough. Mine are okay but the scans are going to need a lot of cleaning up. If anybody has any pics of good ones that they could post it might be helpful. Thanks! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to have a sign shop and he had one of those machines and he could do wonders with it. I'm glad you checked. You may want to get a few extras if they come out good and sell them here in the classifieds..
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

I thought about maybe selling them. I've never seen a really good original so I'm not sure what kind of finish they had. Matte maybe? Are the originals paper? Kinda' looks like it. The new ones are going to be vinyl. We didn't talk about what types of finishes he might have. Conversation was mainly about whether or not he could do it and trying to decipher all of the details that were hard to read on my originals. He did say that the material he uses has a several year warranty. Don't remember what it was though. Something like 7 years? 9 years?

mark tucker wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

Not trying to take anyones business......but go to an industrial decal printer....not a sign printer.
Vinyl is not the material you want. The warrnty depending on whose product is outdoor and ranges from 3-5 years .....mainly for UV exposure.

The original decals would have been a mylar (oriented polyester) or straight polyester.....screen printed or pad printed. The ability to print n that material is limited with inkjet systems. ....which is where the cheap price comes in.

Vinyl is not used for underhood decals on any automobile and never has been. It cannot handle the heat and shrinks. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mann & Hummel Stickers/Decals? Reply with quote

It makes sense. I'll have to do a lot more hunting to find somebody to do that kind of work. I live in the sticks. Probably someone at least 50 miles away. Possibly over 100. Looks like I have a bit of research to do. Very Happy Thanks for the info about the material. I really didn't think vinyl seemed very well suited to the application. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: