Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manxter fire extinguisher mount
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

I've been considering installing a small fire extinguisher in my Manxter 2+2, and would like to see where others have mounted them.

Here's the unit I will probably purchase:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg100c.htm

There are a few options for mounting. I'd prefer a roll bar mount, to avoid drilling holes in the body or pan, and to keep the unit accessible, but out of the way.

The billet mount is spendy, but looks clean and sturdy:

http://www.h3rperformance.com/billet_brackets.htm

This is the low cost option, simple but not as sturdy. Would go with a painted extinguisher if I went this route.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/98003_0021.htm?g...Ak4Z8P8HAQ[/img]

A final alternative is a tunnel mount, perhaps in front of the shifter? All ideas and photos will be appreciated.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Put it somewhere you can access it FAST from OUTSIDE the car.. If there is a fire, the last thing you want to do is be digging for it when you are panicking. Roll bar mount, up high behind the drivers seat gets my vote. I made a mount for mine using muffler clamps and flat steel to weld the wall mount extinguisher bracket to. I have to carry a 5 pounder in my buggy racing and it's on my cage behind my seat. where I can get at it once I'm OUT of the car.

brad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Make sure fire extinguisher had metal mount bracket, and use two worm type hose clamps to secure bracket to roll bar in location of choice, use a strip of rubber to pad finish on roll bar.... No drilling, no muss and of you remove it, no scars....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Good suggestions. Do most of you carry an extinguisher? Is it overkill for a street driven buggy, or are fires common enough to warrant it in an already space constrained car?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

On race car I considered it a necessity..... On street car not so much, with big engine and drivers ability to sometimes do stupid things its not a bad idea to have one.... Also its sort of part of the cool factor... See, I have a performance car, need extinguisher just incase..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Always better to have safety equipment and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Let's face it we usually spend hundreds of hours building our cars, that are just the way we want them, and no one else has one exactly like it. Why watch all that work and dreams go up in flames when you can simply pull a pin and save your car?

brad
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

I carry one, but it's more important to check fuel hoses (which must be up to spec for ethanol rich fuels) and clips on a regular basis and resign those horrible little 99 cent fuel filters (and also the glass EMPI ones) to the trash can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

What does a new pickup or car cost????

Do they come with a fire extinguisher?? They cost a lot more than most buggies.

So the point is.... .build it right the first time with quality fittings and connections.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
What does a new pickup or car cost????

Do they come with a fire extinguisher?? They cost a lot more than most buggies.

So the point is.... .build it right the first time with quality fittings and connections.

True, but have you ever had to fight with an insurance company over the value of an antique car? I have and it is WAY harder to get paid for an antique than a modern, non custom vehicle.........

BTW my buggy is appraised at a value higher than what my truck was worth when I bought it new

brad
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

I've got a fire extinguisher in my company pickup and in my Suburban. I've carried them for years, and never gave it any thought because they are cheap and these vehicles have plenty of storage. Only one time did I use it, to put out an engine fire on another car pulled over on the freeway.

On the buggy, space is tight, but VW fires do happen. I don't have a fuel filter in the engine bay, and I use German hose, secured with fuel injection style hose clamps. Risk is probably low, but it still seems like a good idea. The point about getting a reasonable insurance settlement is a good one. I like the Hal Guard type extinguishers because they don't make a mess of your engine, but they are more expensive. Still, it seems like cheap insurance if I can find a reasonable and useful way to mount it.

Anybody mount one to the tunnel, or to the front of the seat mounts?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

I put one on the forward bulkhead on the passenger side. Not difficult to reach, out of the way and not too tempting to passing idiots who like to touch things.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Q-Dog, I like that idea. Did you just mount it to the fiberglass firewall, or is there some metal structure behind it?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Bolted right through the fiberglass. I may have put a couple of fender washers behind it, but I don't remember that detail at the moment.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I put one on the forward bulkhead on the passenger side. Not difficult to reach, out of the way and not too tempting to passing idiots who like to touch things.

So, If your engine is on fire, you have to stay in the car and double over under the dash, around the gearshift and get the extinguisher? Just sayin.......

brad
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

You need to move your redline up a bit.......... Wink Laughing

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

So, If your engine is on fire, you have to stay in the car and double over under the dash, around the gearshift and get the extinguisher? Just sayin.......

brad

Nope. Get out of the car first. Easy to reach under the dash from outside the car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

I mounted my extinguisher to the right roll bar front hoop. It's out of my way (feet and legs) and not really in the way of the passenger. I can easily reach it from the driver's seat or outside the car. I've seen these mounted to the roll bar (high up) and have been concerned about them being a missile in an accident. Just another idea for you.

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Bud, I like that location. I need to see if there is a similar way to do it in my Manxter.
porkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Most importantly, learn how to use the fire extinguisher! I thought I had an idea how to use one untill they did a demonstration at work ont day.y car likely would have burned looking back at how uneducated I was in this reguard.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Manxter fire extinguisher mount Reply with quote

Good point on how to use it properly. I have training and experience with dry chemical units, but I need to understand if the HalGuard units need to be used differently as I suspect they do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: