Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne? convertible Triple White
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Can anyone decode this vin for me?
I did try and figure it out, but could not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if Randy is aware of folks recent experiences with German Supply. I only used them once and it was not a good experience.

While you are out shopping, make sure you have a set of injectors seals and a TSII in your tool box.

(TSIIs used to be $20 for ever...what happened?)

TSII I am not down with the jargon. Temp Sensor? Temp I Sensor, Cylinder Head, Bosch
VW #: 022-906-041
Part #: 906-041A75 79 OE
T-4 71 - 73

That's the TS2 (II, AKA temperature sensor #2) you've listed the part number for, it's in the top of the head above #4 cylinders rockerbox on a bug.
TS1 is in the AFM on some earlier models.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:

Can anyone take a decode this vin?

I have my suspicions that the Car may have been re-vinned?

I don't think it was stolen, the people I bought it from are a known family in the area and really don't seem like people who would do that.

Also, gave the motor a couple of turns by hand. Moved freely, but I didn't want force it though a full revolution. So I mostly worked it slowly back and forth. Seemed to stop just before a full revolution. Ran a bunch of electical motor cleaner through the alternator because it was sounding crunchy as it turned. Then ran some contact cleaner through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Stop solid with a clunk?, or growing resistance like a spring?

There's not much to decode from a VIN, it's for a 77 convertible if that's what you are concerned about.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Stop solid with a clunk?, or growing resistance like a spring?

There's not much to decode from a VIN, it's for a 77 convertible if that's what you are concerned about.

Thanks..
Confused I think if I had to choose between a clunk or growing resistance.. i would say clunk, but I didn't try to go past the resistance on it or make it clunk all that much Confused
I had just freed it up after letting the mystery oil sit for a few days and was taking it very slow. Also I had a very short wrench and not on the main pulley, on the alternator. Didn't take the time to find the big one..
Will do that next.

What do you think?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Don'r force anything past a clunk, I assume the spark plugs are out when you are doing this?

Next step is remove the rocker covers and see if any of the lifters get really loose at various segments of your turning, could be a valve stuck open.

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Don'r force anything past a clunk, I assume the spark plugs are out when you are doing this?

Next step is remove the rocker covers and see if any of the lifters get really loose at various segments of your turning, could be a valve stuck open.

OK. So... I looks like that just clips off.

I haven't ventured into this part of an engine since 2001.

I have successfully avoided anything like this, but I will check it out.

Can I get to the stuck valve from there? Confused
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

OK. So... I looks like that just clips off.

I haven't ventured into this part of an engine since 2001.

I have successfully avoided anything like this, but I will check it out.

Can I get to the stuck valve from there? Confused

Maybe, combined with some lube through the injector mounting hole tapping on the valve with a soft hamer may get it moving again make sure that piston is near the bottom of it's stroke though.

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:

As a typical VIN for the year- it is still hard to determine the SE status from just that number. I want to see a close up of the dash- to see if it has an elm "burlwood" vinyl wrap. Like big block 1967 corvettes, there seems to be more champagne edition beetles on the road than were ever originally built.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
chrisarnt wrote:

As a typical VIN for the year- it is still hard to determine the SE status from just that number. I want to see a close up of the dash- to see if it has an elm "burlwood" vinyl wrap. Like big block 1967 corvettes, there seems to be more champagne edition beetles on the road than were ever originally built.

Maybe its not a champagne...

let me know. Here is a pic of the VIN.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

[quote=
Maybe, combined with some lube through the injector mounting hole tapping on the valve with a soft hamer may get it moving again make sure that piston is near the bottom of it's stroke though.[/quote]

Duh... I will pull the covers and tell you what happens.

Am I correct in thinking that the suspect side is the one that had the rusty plug?

As far as getting some lube on that valve What about just flooding the crap out of the cylinder with mystery oil with tube the size of the plug hole taped tight onto the bottle. Then when the cylinder is full give the bottle a good long squeeze to flood the valves?
Does that make sense?

Then give it a little tappy tap.

Then take the next step.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Worth a try, but remember you have to get whatever you put in there out after as well. I was thinking a penetrant that fizzes or foams up, putting it down the intake (if that's the valve that's siezed) gets it on the guide where all the bad action likely is. If it's the exhaust then some sort of foaming lube in the cylinder would be the better way to get at that.

But in the end if it's stuck odds are other things didn't do too well when the moisture got in that cylinder either, it may be telling you it's time to pull the heads for a look. A golden opportunity to replace the pushrod seals if nothing else since there's a great chance they'll leak.

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying.

Pulling the head is a winter project.

At the moment I just want to get it on the road, even if just a few spins around the block to see whats what...
I think I need to get my vw buddy over for a look see.

As far as "the pushrod seals if nothing else since there's a great chance they'll leak." Forgive my ignorance.. is that a seized motor problem or a smoke like hell problem?

Also, what kind of foaming lube would you recommend?

I'm kind of assuming that any extra lube will just work it's way out and smoke like hell..

I have to admit I will be disappointed if there isnt some major smoking (at least initially ) when I fire this think up.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
chrisarnt wrote:

I asked this because you can't tell from the VIN. It may be one- but there were only one issued per dealership- apparently just 1000 were made total. The thing that makes them unique that is seldom changed over the years is the dash. Paint, tops and interior materials were change often.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Leaky pushrod tubes are messy but not terminal, lost of drips where you park and stinky heater, often hardened up on engines that have been sitting and they start piddling shortly after reanimation.
As Randy mentioned earlier also consider blocked cooling fins from assorted nests and debris.

As for foaming lube I'm not sure, I had some stuff years ago called engine storage spray that fizzed up and filled the cylinder when you sprayed it into a plug hole. There's also some penetrating oils that also fizz up but I can't recall the exact brand at the moment.

Myself if it puts up any kind of fight I'd give up on the drive around the block and pull it for a deeper peek. Between the chance of blocked fins and possible risk of stuck parts breaking off and damaging more parts sometimes it's just not worth the potential extra expense for a few minutes of running that only confirms it needed to come apart anyways.

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Wise words.

The heater ducts have been taped off on the engine.
I will take a look and run the blower through to see if it's restricted.

It's too late to think about the valve right now.

I got some Seafoam penetrating lube that sounds like it foams from the label.
I didn't try it last night because I ended up stopping at a strip club on the way home... And on the way home from that I stopped at the supermarket and bought a strip steak...
IT was a good night. Twisted Evil

Last edited by chrisarnt on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Razz I completely understand, there's always time for the tittybar Very Happy

It's not just the heater ducts, the fan inlet as well as a few other places you'd never imagine are access points, those little buggers will deconstruct the seats or something nearby and pile it all into some deep recess in there, likely stash some nuts or seeds for snacks as well. Have a fire extinguisher handy incase that pile catches fire.

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

OK. There is tape over these two vents... The air filter box was open, so that's not good.
The tape looks like it's been there for years..

Are these the vents/ducts you are all concerned about?

chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
hitest wrote:
chrisarnt wrote:

I asked this because you can't tell from the VIN. It may be one- but there were only one issued per dealership- apparently just 1000 were made total. The thing that makes them unique that is seldom changed over the years is the dash. Paint, tops and interior materials were change often.

Did you see the pics? Or do you need better ones? I will take more incase
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Leaky pushrod tubes are messy but not terminal, lost of drips where you park and stinky heater, often hardened up on engines that have been sitting and they start piddling shortly after reanimation.
As Randy mentioned earlier also consider blocked cooling fins from assorted nests and debris.

As for foaming lube I'm no

Ok. So I pulled the covers the right side looked good.
The left side not so much.
Had some rust blooms and laquering but not too bad.
I gently cleaned with PB blaster, Seafoam, Carb cleaner(sparringly)
Then sprayed it down with some motor oil.
It cleaned up nice.
When turning the motor the last arm to the right does not move.
I gave it a little tappy tap with my ratchet, but still no movement.
It will move a bit when I press the spring end by hand.<< (once I lube from the injector hole will pressing that spring in work the valve?)

I'm gonna pull the injector and flood that with some seafoam. That stuff really disolved the gunk. So, I am worried that it will work bits of laquer into the other valves. I need a longer spray tube to flood the cylinder properly.
What I really need is that thing they have to suck the saliva out of your mouth at the dentist to sucion out what I am breaking loose.

Before

After

Here is the other side I sprayed with some seafoam and then squirted with oil.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: