Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne? convertible Triple White
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne? convertible Triple White Reply with quote

The car is in overall pretty good condition.
The previous owner painted and did the interior about 7 years ago and then let it sit.
So, I'm looking at a lot of scaling and stuck cables and hinges.
Feels like the accelerator cable is shot. ( that will just get replaced)
Probably, cleaning all the electrical connection.
The gas tank has scaling inside and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
The floor pans are pretty good, but could probably use some reinforcement.
I'm not planning on anything major. Just get it running and driving.
I'll probably spend a few hours underneath just descaling and cleaning up and joints/hinges. Then some POR for now.

I read good and bad about the fuel injection.

Is replacing it with a carb a big deal? Or is it plug and play.
Does anyone put a double barrel on these? Or is that crazy? Or just pointless?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

Last edited by chrisarnt on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

It's rather neat in my opinion having a special edition. I can't imagine wanting to intentionally neuter the FI and make just it like every other converted bug on the road. If there are no VW mechanics in NY it may sway my opinion.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

What doesn't work with the FI? It is a pretty simple set up and pretty easy to figure out any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

If you want to devalue that bug quickly, remove the FI systems from it. They are NOT that complicated to work on and once dialed in, work beautifully.

There's lot of helpful folks on this site who know the systems inside/out and can help if you need it.

I'm not trying to be too opinionated, but, when I see an original FI bug or bus that's been converted to carbs, I think HACK job..

That's a nice bug you've got there. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Thank you for your opinions.

Personally, I have no problems with FI.
I was told by the seller that nobody knows how to work on them.

Maybe, it was just his mechanic.

So, before I try and start this thing...
I was going to either clean the tank or replace the tank and the fuel lines.
Should I do anything to the FI?

It's been siting about 7 years and I'm guessing from the sellers' comments they never got the FI working properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to replace all or the fuel lines with the good hoses and also the fuel filter if that has not been done in recent history.

Here is a kit but you can like scrounge most of the parts if you need to. Buy the good "Conti-Tech" high pressure fuel line. About 5 meters please.

https://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=409

Also just plan on cleaning and tightening all of the electrical connection going to and from the battery, starter and the double relay. While you are at it do the chassis ground strap.

Keep us posted.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

I'd also get the tank removed and flushed. 7 year old gas turns to varnish. It's probably clogged up the entire fuel system, including the FI fuel pump. Then as Randy suggested, replace ALL the rubber fuel lines on the car.

Yes, the car is 40 years old now and people who really know how to work on them whether they are carbed or fuel injected is getting rare. That's the beauty of these old cars. Learning to work on them ourselves is part of the charm and challenge of owning them. There's still shops around that are competent w/FI and old bugs, just seek out some opinions and do your research to find a good, honest one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158895&highlight=german+supply

I'm not sure if Randy is aware of folks recent experiences with German Supply. I only used them once and it was not a good experience.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure if Randy is aware of folks recent experiences with German Supply. I only used them once and it was not a good experience.

That is too bad as he could get the "good stuff".

While you are out shopping, make sure you have a set of injectors seals and a TSII in your tool box.

http://www.busdepot.com/311198261a

https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/vana...-022906041

(TSIIs used to be $20 for ever...what happened?)
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Awesome advice fellas.

Especially on the injector seals.

I shoved a stick into the tank and the tip came back dry and rusty.
So. I'm not sure if I should clean that one with a POR tank cleaner sealer kit for $40 or replace.
I'm guessing the fuel sender pump is shot also.

Maybe someone on samba has a tank with the pump all good to go for a decent price.

I had restored a 79 Westy,
Luckily the only thing mechanical/electrical it needed was a new line to the starter and some connections cleaned.
Also needed some kind of fitting to tighten up the sloppy shifter.

Wife hated it and had to get rid of it.
Frankly, I should have kept that and got rid of the wife.

When I pressed the brake pedal it stayed down and I should hear a very faint hiss. Also the gas pedal was frozen.
But hey... I got it for a song.
Body has a few bubbles, but not many.
I need to replace the window seals on the door because they are shot and the doors have taken on water.
I need to pull the panels and wire brush and spray some PB Blaster in there.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west will be a common site for you. Door & window seals as well as the window scrapers. Keep in mind that the water is supposed to pass through the door and out the bottom through the drain holes. Keep that plastic "door panel" liner in good shape.

Use some "rust bullet" on the inside vs the PB Blaster for long term results.

http://masterseriesct.com/
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

I was thinking I might knock off the loose stuff and spray the underside with this:

https://amzn.com/B00GJYG0JQ

The PB blaster would be to free up the stiff gears, hinges and handles inside the doors.
The rear windows opened fine, but the front windows are stiff and I didn't want to break them.
But if I spray the PB in there the rust bullet won't adhere..... or will it.

The master series would be good on the top side of the floor pans, but I haven't even looked under the carpets yet. Maybe underneath after I get the scaling under control.
When i saw the car it was pretty wedged into the garage.

I'm picking it up on Saturday and will be able to delve into it a little.

I'm looking forward to this. Will post pics when I get it.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Please do us all (esp OP) a great favor here, & Restore it all STOCK to the best of abilities: NJ emissions criteria & performance carbs are not a great mix.

Thank me later & checkout all posts from the millennial idiot in my sigline, whom endured some serious issues upon the mere mention of performance upgrades.

chrisarnt wrote:
I'm not planning on anything major. Just get it running and driving. Is replacing it with a carb a big deal? Or is it plug and play.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Please do us all (esp OP) a great favor here, & Restore it all STOCK to the best of abilities: NJ emissions criteria & performance carbs are not a great mix.

Thank me later & checkout all posts from the millennial idiot in my sigline, whom endured some serious issues upon the mere mention of performance upgrades.

chrisarnt wrote:
I'm not planning on anything major. Just get it running and driving. Is replacing it with a carb a big deal? Or is it plug and play.

C'mon this isn't the vortex.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Any thoughts on whether to clean the tank or just replace it?

One video I watched looked like $75 in materials and 3 or 4 hours on the tank.

It looks like I can get a new one for $150.

Once I get a look inside I can decide, I figure light scaling I can handle.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Agree with all, keep it original.

I had a 78 Euro vert once, replaced the single carb with a Kadron setup. Drove about 5 miles, went straight back to the garage and removed it. The verts have some special sonic peculiarities which made the twin carb setup soundt like you were sitting inside the engine. Totally not worth the extra 5 hp when you can't talk to your passenger anymore.

Get the FI sorted.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

So, I guess what you are all saying is that if I did this you would not be happy? Shocked Razz

Or this? You must admit the suicide doors are pretty cool.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
Any thoughts on whether to clean the tank or just replace it?

One video I watched looked like $75 in materials and 3 or 4 hours on the tank.

It looks like I can get a new one for $150.

Once I get a look inside I can decide, I figure light scaling I can handle.

Unless the old tank is full of holes once clean do everything you can to keep it, new parts just aren't as nice as the original stuff, tinny and fit poorly.
I'm also not fan of coatings unless there's pinholes, clean bare metal never peels away and blocks the outlet. Here's some reading on how to resurrect your tank: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770 , while it's out ream out the fuel lines through the tunnel as well, they'll be just as nasty inside.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

Many thanks....
I will look that over.
I suspect its not that bad inside.

I tend to be overly ambitious..How long would you estimate replacing all the fuel lines will take.
I've looked at several fuel system diagrams and it looks like there's a decent amount of line there.
As one poster said to buy 5 meters of quality line.

How long to replace the accelerator cable?

I'm assuming the level of difficulty is fairly easy.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

And By the way... to all the folks giving advice I am taking paying attention and taking notes.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

So you are also saying I should not do this!!!
Holy crap!!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5596208647.html

WTF?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: So, I just bought a 1977 Champagne convertible! Triple White Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
So you are also saying I should not do this!!!
Holy crap!!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5596208647.html

WTF?

Unless you're going to do this to it, NO! Wink

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: