Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Running, driving, what's it Worth?
1k-2k
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
2k-3k
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
3k-4k
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
4k-5k
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
5k-6k
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
6k-7k
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
7k-8k
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
8k-9k
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10k solely based on it's sexiness
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 31

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

I'm looking at a really dry Ghia and would love to know what you guys think it's worth. It's a REALLY dry '69 that has spent all of it's life here in the so. cal. It does not currently run but the seller told me the engine was rebuilt shortly before it was parked (that's the way they all are right?). It's a two owner car with documentation going back to the original window sticker. Here's what I'm in love with. You guys tell me what you honestly think it's worth.

1. I believe it's all original paint. I'd totally love to bring it's shine back out. I wouldn't touch the paint at all other than clay bar, buff, more buff, wax, wax, repeat. Laughing

2. Look at how straight it is! Never impacted in the front. looks like a slight tap on the rear bumper but all the metal is straight as an arrow.

3. The only rust is in the battery tray.

4. last tagged in '86. This thing is a time warp. That means those Rivieras aren't some repop but legit old school cal look.

5. The interior is doable. Besides sourcing an original dash pad and wood grain vinyl, I'd just preserve the rest.

6. I think I could have it running with fresh brake lines and gas lines, an oil change, valve adjust, etc. (basically in a weekend)

7. It's sexy as all get out with those original plate frames!!!

ok Anyways, I've never owned a Ghia. I know it's not as desirable as a low light but at least it's pre bumper change. I'd hate to over pay on it based on emotions but that OG paint has me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Your poll asks "Running, driving, what's it worth?", but you state it is currently not running. Does it turn over? Are you more interested in price for it as is, or as it might be if it was running and drivable?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

I think it would also depend what your plans are to do with it. IF your going to restore it you are going to need to touch every inch of that car.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Always look at the purchase price of it as is. Don't make assumptions. The engine may well run but why would someone park a fresh motor? Bad rebuild? Something happen soon after rebuild? Transmission problems etc. with the battery tray rust I would plan on lower quarter rust under the bumper. But I like you dig the paint. It looks solid enough to drive. Bumpers look tight and not falling off. Engine does look nice however.

Current value as is to me in my market. $1500-$2000 take a battery and it cranks over $2500.

Running and driving $4000.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Was this an AC car? No more than $3K
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Engine has A/C crank pulley, and there are rubber hoses present on driver's side of engine bay. And the A/C ductwork & bits are visible in dash photo...

bnc
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

I thought real riviera wheels didn't have the raised pads on the spokes.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Yes, the pull says running driving because to me that is a state that I can have it in very reasonably within a weekend. I'm not one who does body work and this car doesn't need body work, it simply needs the mechanicals checked out.

As for intentions with it, like I said under number 1, there is no intent to restore it but rather preserve it. To restore it would be unfair to it. The only cancer is in that body tray and given some elbow grease I believe the original paint would come out nicely.

To answer the Was this an AC car question... Yes. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the value.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

looks like a fun one.
Those look like eagle rivieras.
2K-3K seems fair if the engine will turn over. What are they asking?
I would get the missing bumper parts and side trim back on it too. Looks incomplete w/o.
I have read the original rivieras did have flat spokes. They also called them Formula Vees and then Riviera because that was the name of the Pacific Northwest VW dealer that had them made.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

You sure this is original paint? I think I see evidence of overspray around the decklid, bumper bracket covers and the license plate light...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Quote:
I see evidence of overspray around the decklid, bumper bracket covers

Good eye! I didnt catch that on the first look. Embarassed
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
I see evidence of overspray around the decklid, bumper bracket covers

Good eye! I didnt catch that on the first look. Embarassed

In light of this new information, I think the car should be crushed.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Quote:

Crushed?? Shocked ??

It should be burned first, then crushed.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Crushed?? Shocked ??

That is a bit severe---------but sometimes a fella has to do whatever it takes.

Moderators Health Note: The opinions stated in this forum don't necessarily represent the official view of The Samba.com. Laughing
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Crushed?? Shocked ??

That is a bit severe---------but sometimes a fella has to do whatever it takes.

Moderators Health Note: The opinions stated in this forum don't necessarily represent the official view of The Samba.com. Laughing

In light of this initial comment by the OP, ...

Jos.Hall wrote:
I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth?

... perhaps it would be best to simply remind him that - just as when one makes a decision regarding matrimony - if you don't leave your emotions out of the decision, then the final cost will no doubt be higher than perhaps it should have been.

Wink
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

dual aircleaners! 5k! all day.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
You sure this is original paint? I think I see evidence of overspray around the decklid, bumper bracket covers and the license plate light...

Great eye!!! I didn't even notice it. I was going off what I could find as well as what the owner was telling me. Maybe I can use this to bring down the price to something I can justify. Then I can purchase it and drive it off a cliff as is the only respectable thing to do with a repainted car. 😎
I still really like it but may have to court it under supervised visits before really making that matrimonial decision.

Thanks for the input so far guys! It helps. Kinda like when your head over heels for that chick that everyone else knows is crazy but you're blind to it.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

I voted 10K. I want the seller to be happy Very Happy
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

There is no engine seal or heater tubes. Two things that can over heat and kill an engine . So back to the' ran great before it was parked' fantasy scenario......
Or maybe rats ate em while it was sitting and every things fine.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I'm in love but don't want to overpay...What's it honestly worth Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
bobnorman wrote:

Great eye!!! I didn't even notice it. I was going off what I could find as well as what the owner was telling me. Maybe I can use this to bring down the price to something I can justify. Then I can purchase it and drive it off a cliff as is the only respectable thing to do with a repainted car. 😎
I still really like it but may have to court it under supervised visits before really making that matrimonial decision.

Thanks for the input so far guys! It helps. Kinda like when your head over heels for that chick that everyone else knows is crazy but you're blind to it.

I would also launch it into space, just to make sure it is truly gone. Very Happy

The original paint is a nice to have, but really is inconsequential. What’s important is what the re-spray may be hiding. If indeed the only rust is in the battery tray as you say, and if you’re prepared to spend a bit of time and money going through the brakes, suspension, electrical, drivetrain, and interior, then go for it… My vote, as is, maybe 2-2.5k.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: