Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel well and under fender rustproofing
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Wheel well and under fender rustproofing Reply with quote

As of right now, my bug is in bare metal about to be primed. Im thinking of using bedliner under the fenders and the wheel wells. So my questions are: should I even do this at all. And if I do, should I apply the bedliner directly to the bare metal, then prime, or primer first, then bedliner. Im using epoxy primer, and its going to be that way for a while. One, I like the color. Secondly, it needs a little body work before I lay the paint. And lastly, paint is expensive which I dont have the funds for right now.
Assuming I prime first, then bedliner, do I have to primer again on top of that before paint?
If I bedliner first, then prime, Im assuming the bedliner is water proof and what not and I wont have any rust issues or adhesion issues with it sticking to the bare metal?
This is not a show car or a correct restoration. Its going to be a little weekend cruiser, albiet I hope a pretty nice one. Last question. If I decide not to use the bedliner at all and just prime, when it comes time to paint, how much of a factor is the grime and all that and what will I need to do to prep it paint

Also, I live in AZ so its not like Ill be driving this in the snow or anything
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel well and under fender rustproofing Reply with quote

Apply some type of "DTM epoxy primer/sealer" and then shoot the bedliner over it RIGHT AWAY, like in 2 hours or one day or whatever they recommenced in the instructions.
Why wait? it sticks better if you don't. If you need it to be a certain color then get a kind of bedliner that can be tinted a certain color.

Same way with sanding primer, shoot it over the epoxy right away.
Sanding primer is intended to be sanded. epoxy primer/sealer only needs sanding if you miss the window (mess it up).

But that's general advice. What's it say on the can??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: