Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper cruising RPM.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

We had the buggy out yesterday for a GLORIOUS (but a bit wet at one point) ride. Man, I love this thing!!!!
Anyway, something came up that I wanted to throw out there. If I cruise at 60 mph, my temp holds good at about 220. Any higher than that, and it starts to climb. The rpms at 60 mph is 2400. Is there a correlation between rpm and mph that I can change to get a higher cruising speed or is it, what I have been told, a negative pressure that occurs going down the highway??
Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Wow... you're rpm's seem to be way down at that speed. Do you have a regeared transmission? Even with my "freeway flyer" (Superbeetle trans), I was turning around 3200 at 60mph. It sounds like you're pushing your envelope with the gearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Hmmm... My cruse speed at about 60 mph is just about 2900-3000rpm...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Dang. I'm not sure what I can tell ya. I'm running 15 " wheels with T/A radials. 275/60's rears and 235/60's fronts. The speedo is pretty close - at least checking it against a buddy driving next to me. (I will confirm that.) And the trany is a Ghia IRS - AN 25 05 3.
The engine is a 1915 with SCAT Cam 20006 (C45, 298, 262) and seems to pull it along just fine.
I guess I just need to make sure of the MPH but, I think it is real close. Does this rpm to mph sound like my issue with the "heating"?
Thank for the help!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Are you talking head temps or oil temps...????

I have 275/60-15 tires with 4.12 gearing and turn 3100 at 70 mph
It's about 2750 at 60 mph if I remember correctly...
If your oil temps are that high then you probably need to look at the cooling system instead of rpm and load.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

60mph
2400 rpm
Approx Tire diameter 28 inches (275/60/15)

Think

That sounds like it could be a .82 4th and a 4.125 ring and pinion??
By the math... that puts it in the correct RPM range for those combined tire size, final drive and 4th ratios (2435 RPM's )

or the tach is jacked up.. .. Laughing

Check the trans code..
It may be spot on for its configuration.

Note: A TRUE Freeway Flyer has a .82 and 3.875 ring and pinion..

If it has a true flyer ... at 60mph with Approx Tire diameter of 28 inches (275/60/15)
Engine RPM's would be lower and around 2300. (2280 Rpm's )

If the tach is off 100 rpms.. it will be a hard to distinguish which combinations it has.. ..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Oil temps. My sending unit is at the bottom of the case under the distributor.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

From this site -
http://www.volksworld.com/tech-guides/technical-information/volkswagen-gearbox-codes-9444 -
it looks like a 3.88. So it would be a Freeway Flyer.
But is that my problem?? I'd like to "stretch it's legs" a bit more on the freeway but she starts getting warm (oil temp).

I'm very interested in the philosophy that there is "negative pressure" causing it. I believe I can cure that - or at least I can try some things.
Thoughts??
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Without X ray vision.. it's simple math and an educated guess as to what the ratio's are inside.. The case number prefix AN is only an ID at this point.
The RPM's are too low for a stock gear box.

The RPM's are within acceptable range of a True freeway flyer with the tire size it has..... as suspected... yes.. check... ...

So the story comes out.. the issue isnt cruse RPM... its oil temperatures... hmmm sounds familiar.

There is so much more to this equation that could be the cause.

Stock size pulleys?

What is the oil cooler setup?
Offset Dog house?
VW fan shroud or some aftermarket junk?
What oil viscosity and type ?

Oil temp climbs?
To what?

How new/fresh is the engine?

Over 235 is where most advise to start to back down...

notsurewho wrote:
0-180 cold
180-210 normal
210-230 warm
230-240 hot
240-250 very hot
250+ turn it off

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Let me start by saying there is no such thing as a "Freeway Flyer" transaxle. VW never gave a name to any transaxle. The term was used in flashy magazine ads by a company went bankrupt, and it has no official meaning of any gear ratios. There is also no such thing as a "Super Beetle" transaxle.

AN code Ghia transaxles came with a 3.88 R&P and a .89 4th gear.

Normal cruising speeds for a VW are 3000-3500 RPM's. 220* oil temps are not too hot to be concerned with. There can not be any negative pressure on a Dunebuggy with an exposed engine. It only happens on vehicle with enclosed engine compartments.

If you want to experiment put the 235's on the rear and some stock rims up front and see what happens.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Let me start by saying there is no such thing as a "Freeway Flyer" transaxle. VW never gave a name to any transaxle. .

Eh.. half right... half wrong..

Laughing

Agreed.. the gimmick name is just a name.. and lots of confusion along the years about it..

The "Freeway Flyer" was an advertising aftermarket slogan name (not by VW).. nothing more.. well except.. they were built with specific ... gear ratio specs..

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
A true "Freeway Flyer" has a taller changed overdrive 4th .82 instead of a .89 or .93.. as well as taller final drive using the late Beetle 3.875.

Most confuse 67 up transaxles with the .89 4th and the 4.125 with a true "advertised" freeway flyer.

sactojesse wrote:
"Freeway flier" is a marketing phrase typically used to describe a trans w/ a 3.875 ring and pinion (tallest stock R&P offered on Type Is) and a 0.82 fourth gear ratio instead of the 0.89 or 0.93 fourth gear that normally came w/ a 3.875 R&P. .

Back to the deep frying topic ..

Usually and often edited
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

I never knew the term "freeway flyer" to be any more specific than just a high geared drive train, in any car, that goes down the freeway at low rpm. As opposed to a 1/4 miler that has a low gear drive train. It's used that way all the time in the Hot Rod and drag world. I don't think there is any need to worry about semantics here.
The transaxle is stock geared.
In answer to other questions,
Pulleys are stock (size)
Stock oil cooler, dog house and fan shroud other than cleaned up and powder coated.
Oil is 10-30 Brad Penn.
Engine has about 4000, or so, miles on it.

But the interesting part is that at 60 mph, she runs between maybe 210 and 220, beautifully. Then, if i pick it up to 65 mph, she immediately starts to climb. How far?? Sorry, I don't want to find out the hard way but, yeah, I have seen 235 or more.
It just seems like something happens at 60 mph. That is why I thought it made sense that at that speed a negative pressure could occur. But hell, I don't know. That is why I am asking. I have been playing and building cars and bikes since I was 16 (40 years ago) but VW's are a bit of a new creature for me. And I know "air" can do some strange things.

Thank you all for your input and any more that you care to share!!!!!! The reason I am concerned about this is because not only do i try to drive this everyday that is humanly possible (Yeah, I am THAT bitten!) but, I am looking at "possibly" driving it to So. Cal. (my old stomping grounds) either next year or the year after. I will post more questions about tips and tricks of doing that in the future but, for now, I'd like to get a bit more freeway speed. It will help me on my trips to the city's (Indy and Cincy) and for sure when I make the trek out west. OH, and the St.Louis run! Smile
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Still more to consider...

In reality.... the VW air cooled engine has 2 cooling systems..
Oil and Air.. but yes... both requiring air.. so I understand the air flow question.

Your body configuration is a wide open air engine typical Buggy then, (orange one in your Gallery?) I doubt its an aero issue..

What is the oil pressure?
Does it happen to have any oil pressure boost springs or fairly high oil pressure?
Large pump?

If the oil pressure main relief spring keeps oil pressure too high.. the oil will continue to be dumped back to the sump and will bypass the cooler too long building heat.
The oil cooling system is designed so that when the oil pressure is LOWER than relief valve spring.. it is then routed to the cooler (as well as the bearings).
Too high oil pressure and the relief valve just dumps and dumps bypassing the cooler.
Path of least resistance prevails as always.. ..

Bypassing can be found sometimes by simply feeling (or IR Thermo) the cooler.. if its cooler than expected and the oil is hot.. the oil is bypassing the cooler.

Better in depth explanation and oil flow and data is here.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280293

No pressure boost springs..???
Believe it or not.. it may be as simple as using 5w30 or lighter oil instead..

Carbueration?
Distributor?
Timing?
Fuel used?

^ Most of those effect head temps first... but the oil also picks up some heat from the heads .. so cant rule them out as well.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Thanks NUT! I am aware of these things but I doubt they have much to do with the significance of exactly when and how it heats up. It is very distinctive. Anything above 60 and she takes off.
Timing I can re-check but was set by my VW guru. It's a 009.
Dual 40 HPMX EMPI Carbs
Best fuel I can get - at the pump. Aviation fuel is bit too costly for my road vehicles. Carbs have been set up with synchrometer and plugs burn a little rich (black).
Oil pressure is 20 going down the highway. Don't know about boost springs.
I have an IR Thermo. I can check that. It seems plausible if at that rpm/speed that if the oil was "dumping" it could allow it to heat up. (???) But "something" after 60 mph happens to allow it to heat up. I will check your link but, it would be tough to check the cooler with the IR going down the road. Smile Smile lol
Thanks for the help and ideas!!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Is the doghouse cooler sealed and any hot air flowing properly away from the fan?
Hoover bit added?

It also seems you have an altered fan shroud just verify it's a real genuine VW shroud?
Lots of shrouds out there with no vanes..

Im still leaning on the cooler bypass so be sure to read up on it.. Wink

Skulptorchaz wrote:
Thanks NUT! I am aware of these things but I doubt they have much to do with the significance of exactly when and how it heats up. It is very distinctive. Anything above 60 and she takes off.!

Pretty much sounds like you may have your mind set its aerodynamics.... .
You've been stuck on it since last year.. Wink
Dont beat your head until it bleeds..

Last year.. you were going down the exact same thought process..dont get stuck on that theory.. .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633268
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637414

A fan creates a difference in pressure.. period..
Even with an inch or two of wall to fan spacing there is no real restriction to the fan intake..

If the head temps are nominal and show no signs of overheating.. .. the fan is doing its job..

Too many open bay engines out and about that have no cooling problems.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

Try a shorter fan/gen belt on your engine. I think you can run 1/2' to 1" shorter and still use the stock pulley set up. This will push more air thru the tin as it increases fan speed.

Stock thermostat set ups help with cooling and timely warm ups too.

Keep in mind that stock VWs had a much more restricted path for the air to find the fan inlet. I have a battery access "door" in my package tray deck and when I have driven the car with that off, the airflow from that spot just in front of the fan inlet is POSITIVE...that is, it flows from the engine area into the cabin. Now all I can really deduce from that is that the pressure in the cabin area is less than the pressure in the engine area, but it gives you the basic idea that pressure is higher in that more confined space behind your rear firewall.

When it is hot, or steep, or both, the right foot works well as a thermostat on my car.

Keep driving it, you'll figure it out. With only 4K on it, you might also be having a little extra break in heat to contend with.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

One other thought, if you reeeallly want to confirm or disprove a theory about fan intake pressure values at a given speed:

Attach a GoPro looking at the fan inlet. Tape or glue some (short) strings near the inlet. Set the GoPro to record, setting a timer on your smart phone at the same time.

Drive, using graduated speeds over time to achieve the temp values you are worried about, noting the time on your phone when each temperature value occurs.

Stop the car, stop recording, stop the timer on your phone. Then when you look at the video, compare what you see the strings doing near the fan intake at each speed/temp value you noted on your phone.

A lotta work, but no guesswork or speculation, which is the arena you are playing in now.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

You have a gearing problem. With a 3.875 R&P gear and the .89 - 4th gear running 28" tires the engine is working too hard above 60 MPH and causing the temps to go up.

You may also be over cam'd with the SCAT C45 (20006) What are all the engine specs? Tell me everything you know about the heads.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

I can tell you first hand, it is not an air flow problem. I'm with Dave in his diagnosis. Your gearing and tall tires is the problem. The engine isn't turning fast enough to cool the motor and when you try to go faster the engine is working hard and can't get enough air to cool it.

I have a 3.88/.82 transaxle in my Beetle with 26" tires and no problems. I had the same setup in my buggy and no issues at all.

brad
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper cruising RPM. Reply with quote

I do understand the whole lugging with tall gearing.. and load issues.. on stock and under powered engines...
I dont know if that's an issue with this combination.
The buggy is lighter, the 1915 is stronger.. I don't think it would be struggling to push it along..

I do agree at 2400 rpm's at 60 the fan speed is about 300-400 rpms lower than it normally would be...with stock Ghia size tires.
But as speed increases, fan speed increases... .. Think but then again.. so does the aero load..

A quick test to prove or disprove that...... is as Dave recommended..

vwracerdave wrote:

If you want to experiment put the 235's on the rear and some stock rims up front and see what happens.

Lets see what Skulptorchaz is willing to do to diagnose, prove or disprove.. based on some good input so far.. .

We can point at potential issues all day but until something is tried.. rather than just discussed..(like last years same questions) nothing will be accomplished.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: