Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

I'm finally getting ready to paint my 70 Sedan. How much paint do I need per coat?
I'll be painting the whole car, obviously the outside, but also the entire inside. Inside the engine compartment, the trunk, inside the hood and decklid, underneath the gas tank area, underneath the package tray, inside the fenders, etc.
Everything. Well, almost.

The only area that won't be painted will be the inside of the doors and the inside of the roof. The pillars and rear window surrounds will get painted, too because I'm going with the 1200a/sparkafer style headliner.
BTW, the pan is already painted and it's separated from the body so I'll be painting the undersides of the heater channels, too.
Thanks,
Dan
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

base clear?
single stage?

2 gals min, if your color covers well
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

So, two gallons per coat? Seems like a lot. Since I'll put on a coat of etch primer, 2 or 3 coats of hi build, 2or 3 coats of color, and a couple coats of clear.

14 to 18 coats of paint?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something

Dan
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

2 gallons to paint the entire thing with single stage....depending on your technique, your equipment, and the coverage.

Since you sound like you are going with two stage I would say 1.5 to 2 gallons of color (depends on how it is reduced) and 2 gallons of clear.

probably at least 2 gallons of high build (maybe 3).

I wouldn't use etch. I would use epoxy.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
2 gallons to paint the entire thing with single stage....depending on your technique, your equipment, and the coverage.

Since you sound like you are going with two stage I would say 1.5 to 2 gallons of color (depends on how it is reduced) and 2 gallons of clear.

probably at least 2 gallons of high build (maybe 3).

I wouldn't use etch. I would use epoxy.

You said 2 gallons to paint the whole thing. So 2 gallons would get me 1 coat on the whole thing (depending on technique and coverage) or more than 1 coat?
I just want to get enough to paint one car I don't want to get enough to paint five cars
Dan
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

total, not per coat
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

Sorry....should have been more clear.

You cannot paint a car with one coat. And each coat will be a different amount of paint so you really can't estimate. The first coat is usually very light. You may also do a drop coat at the end (for metallic). Your two middle coats might be a bit heavier.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. And I know that spraying can either use a lot of paint or a little depending on the coverage.

Mainly though I just wanted an estimate of how much to get. I guess I can have a little better idea when I do the primer. I didn't want to run out, but as expensive as paint can be, I didn't want to have a lot of each "layer" left over or give it a lot of unnecessary coats either.

Dan
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

You will go through a lot more of high build then you will epoxy. Although epoxy can be used as a sealer as well so it might even out.
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

I just painted my 72 Bug. 4:1 mixture on for the paint and clear. painted about the same parts. 1 1/4 gallons of paint and 1 1/4 of clear. 3-coats of paint and 3-coats of clear. This will vary by brand and mixture. Purchase more than you need. I bought 2-gallons of each. Mix your two gallons of paint so they match and save the remainder for touch ups.
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

Epoxy would be recommended instead of etching primer.

Epoxy 1 1/2 gallons.

Filler 1 gallon

Paint 2 gallons

Clear 2 gallons + depending on how many coats you plan on putting.

A body shop will do 2 coats of clear. If yiu do it yourself i would recommend doing more coats, since it will be sanded and buffed you want to have a good uv protective coat after that.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

Two gallons is this for single sage also . I have not painted yet but I only got one gallon.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint? Reply with quote

Ask your paint supplier, they will know. I sprayed the outside with 2 quarts of color, two stage. Depends on color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: