Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I'll take the Porsche Very Happy

Aside from that, very nice. You definitely put in the work and it paid off. That first camping experience with your girls probably had them talking for a week and to all their friends.

Look forward to more photos and stories.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

main things to consider on any bay that is saved:

1) the fuel hoses are lengthy. Replace always if in doubt when they were last replaced.

2) tires rot from the inside too. Example - we bought new tires in 2009. They have almost 8 years on them and about 3,000 miles. Its almost time to sell them to someone who drives a lot more with their bus and buy a new set. Once they get to 10 years, even in a garage I won't trust them at freeway speeds. Yours could be 15 - 20 years old.

3) when a bus sits it gets spiders, mice etc in it. Mice and hanta go together so water and bleach to clean any nests. When one sees black widow webs there is one nearby. Plenty of sprays that will kill them. We probably killed 50 in our bus when we bought it and several active wasp colonies. In fact there was a swarm following it when we had it towed home. Smile

4) It is a nice bus and you will enjoy it. Be patient with it as there will be times it will tax your patience. But there are little to no cars out there that can be as much fun.
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

I still have all the FI original parts... I guess I could just have someone look at it. But I really think a dual carb setup might help from what I have read. It is definitely less complicated. Even though I want to mod this out a little. I will keep all the original parts in case someone wants to offer me a pretty penny. Smile

I did replace all the fuel lines and clamps to german oe style and I purchased the blazecut as well HA!

I did a little bit of research and then found out about all the fires and freaked out so I did that first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We had such a great time on our camping trip and are really shocked at how much we were able to load into the bus... It was truly designed well. Not to mention everything in it worked. We even had AC when driving.
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Rolling Eyes I'll take the Porsche Very Happy

Aside from that, very nice. You definitely put in the work and it paid off. That first camping experience with your girls probably had them talking for a week and to all their friends.

Look forward to more photos and stories.

I'm getting the Porsche painted as soon as I sell my old mercedes! Smile

I'll post some aircooled love 911 and Bus together.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

nice work, use this stuff on your paint, it will shine it right up.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/einszett_1z/extra_paint_cleaner

Also as far as tires, im kicking myself in the ass for buying tires that only give me a payload of 5600 lbs. I don't have much room to play with. get some 15" steelies. They have much more tire options than 14" or 16" wheels.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Some nice adel clamps and get rid of all that garbage insulation and press board above the engine....dynamat sells nice fire...resistant insulation.

I think I have a shiny penny for all the FI stuff too...I'll pick a good one.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Y'all really jumped right in, congrats!

secretsubmariner wrote:
Jaymeandyan wrote:
Will the FI help me get up the mountains better... because it's just awful right now. 70 downhill is fine haha. Im not to keen on keeping it all original with that said what would be the best route for more power with or without FI and what kind of mods would you recommend?

yes, The FI will help but...you're still at about 70hp pushing a ton and a half of people and steel. The Fuel Injection is a really sturdy system. If you can get it complete and have 0 air leaks. lol

Dude, mods

Also, the Champagne Edition is somewhat of a rare bird, not really sought after, but it is a special edition.

It's my opinion that fuel injection equals an elevated fire risk that is not worth worrying about. I've been rolling with a Weber progressive for years now. It's not perfect, but is simple and when tuned correctly very reliable and adequate. My bus sits for weeks at a time and I can always jump in and it fires right up. It doesn't like the cold, but here that is not much of an issue. For more power look into dual carbs. Or just dial that progressive in and enjoy it!

I can't agree with Secret Sub on the Champagne edition comment. Maybe for standard station wagons, but a CEII Westy is the top of the line and very desirable. I had one for a while, needed a lot of work, but I sometimes regret selling it.

Welcome to the Westy life!

Well, I was wrong, my friend. I just wasn't trying to put the 'pagne on a pedestal. LOL. The Champagne Westfalia is a deluxe North American only camper with all the fixin's. It is total utmost badassery, refined. I have my eye on one right now Wink

Well yes, the old, krusty FI components can spring a leak and blow your bus up. I have never tried the progressive carb (although I'm keen to drive one and see what its like!)

The injectors can all be sent to cruzinperformance or witchhunter for testing and rebuilding, the VW AFC FI manual can be purchased on EBay for the testing and understanding of each component, the harness can be repaired or bought new, even the Cold Start Valve can be bought new (which has been thought to be a leading cause in fire disasters on FI buses, so I've read). Not to mention the huge amount of threads about the different FI components and how someone has either rebuilt it, fixed it, or found a decent replacement. Idk, with the resources available, the time, and the $$$ it's do-able to have a reliable, like-new FI system. I like the power it gives.

The only carb setup I've tried is the dual solexes, and I hated them. Always sucking air- after hours of going over every connection and making sure there are no leaks. Tuning and tuning and tuning and tuning. I rebuilt them both, super cleaned the jets and all that. After I got it all back together I had wandering idle problems BAD. Hell, I had to grind off and re-weld the barrel nut holder for the acceleration cable to fix the terrible angle that the cable was being run at, due to the stock FI cable tube placement.

I actually like to think I'd really enjoy the progressive carb, and I'd like to know more about them. In fact, I may run one while I finish re-vamping my FI system. Isn't there an issue with icing tho? Those intakes are loooong.

I'm not preaching one way or the other on the FI vs. Carb issue. Just sharing my experience. I sure wish I had learned some more stuff about how to take care of the FI before I got this far and fudge up the engine (with the carbs)
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

78 CE with FI gets a solid 23mpg.

Great power, tuned well.

3 things doom the FI:

1. Ignorance
2. Some people just like/know carbs..maybe a bit of #1 thrown in, maybe not.
3. OLD COMPONENTS

A new wiring harness, cleaned injectors, new CSV, fuel lines, FPR and we will see how the orange bus goes with the new engine...

With this site for reference if I can do it, anyone can...
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
78 CE with FI gets a solid 23mpg.

Great power, tuned well.

3 things doom the FI:

1. Ignorance
2. Some people just like/know carbs..maybe a bit of #1 thrown in, maybe not.
3. OLD COMPONENTS

A new wiring harness, cleaned injectors, new CSV, fuel lines, FPR and we will see how the orange bus goes with the new engine...

With this site for reference if I can do it, anyone can...

I would add a caveat to #3, ethanol in modern gas. I don't think every FI rubber piece is ethanol resistant and I've personally seen what it can do to non resistant fuel hose over a short period of time. If you can still get non-ethanol gas and spend the time to become familiar with the FI systems (there is a very comprehensive Bosch manual that would be nice to have on hand) or be extremely vigilant about checking every rubber component every couple of months I would say go for it. The main thing is to just be aware of the risks and carry a good fire extinguisher. Laughing

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

I keep reading about the need for ethanol resistant fuel line, diaphragms and the damage this ethanol fuel does. In all the years I've been on this site, I've never seen someone post any pictures of degraded/damaged fuel hose, diaphragms or other fuel system components.

At times I wonder if this is simply an internet myth. I've run the German braided fuel line forever. I usually change it ever 2-3 years just to be safe. I always cut it down the middle looking for any damage or issues from the ethanol in our fuel when I remove it from a VW. I also am running NOS rebuild kits in my original Pierburg Fuel pumps. These kits were made decades ago, before ethanol was added to the fuel. So, the rubber diaphragms in these NOS kits are not engineered to specifically handle alcohol. I've never had a failure of one of those diaphragms or fuel pumps.

I'm NOT saying I'm right but the vast majority of fuel line issues are caused from OLD fuel lines or the wrong rated ones on fuel injected engines. Everyone on this site has found really old, dry, brittle fuel hoses on their new to them used VW.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Do a google search and you'll find plenty of evidence, VW and non-VW.
I put new German fuel line on my '63 beetle a few years back and within a little over a year the ends were cracked and a the internals of the rubber line were coated in degraded black rubber slime.

Kind of like this picture from the gallery, but not as extreme:

More:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

I guess we're getting a bit off topic. Embarassed

OP. any more pictures of that CEII? Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
OP. any more pictures of that CEII? Very Happy

Hear, hear!! Razz
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

This thread just went all over the place haha!

Here is a new pic.. Found an old fog light at home and painted the housing ivory... Smile Not sure if like it or not... but hey it was a free find.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

that's badass. I am a fan of ivory on champagnes.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Excellent find, no doubt. CEII Westies are limited in number. I had a 1977 CEI sunroof bus with good running fuel injection and totally miss it.

As for power... you've got late 1970's technology administering a large lawnmower engine shoving a giant brick all over Colorado. Not sure if you can expect any more power than what you have, carbs or FI... Laughing

Cool I totally dig that Coleman cooler. Last year I finally got rid of ours (same as yours) dating from 1976 when we went from California to Colorado and back. But I have another one just like it, just a bit taller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Haven't done as much re-search as I could but what and how much money do you think it would take to throw a turbo kit on it. Smile I just need a little help getting up the mountains. I really would like to also tow a small boat or 4 wheelers...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

about the cost of 2-3 engines Wink
it'll blow up in short order on a stock T-IV motor moving a loaded bus and towing to boot.

look into the Subaru (or other) swaps if you can't live with 25mph
though a turbo suffers the least from altitude sickness, they are the most complicated and create alot of heat as well as the supportive systems to keep them operating properly.
Jaymeandyan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

Or i could throw in my 911 motor into it... Smile

I guess i'll look into the BUSARU route.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westfalia Champagne Edition aka Frannie Reply with quote

there are those on the other side of the pond
slipping 1.8t 5spds into Bays by inverting the oe passat 5spd trans.
if you are DIY handy, the trail has been outlined on the internets.

you won't be lacking or begging for power then.. and probably significantly cheaper than building a turbo T-IV
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: