Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

make me fall in love with beetles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Do shop and test drive as many as you feel you need to. Currently have three of them and they all have there own personality. Not afraid to drive them anywhere do to proper and improved maintenance. Yes on the standards the windshield is close this is so when off road you can see three feet in front of the bumper. Try that with a lifted four wheel drive.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Do shop and test drive as many as you feel you need to. Currently have three of them and they all have there own personality. Not afraid to drive them anywhere do to proper and improved maintenance. Yes on the standards the windshield is close this is so when off road you can see three feet in front of the bumper. Try that with a lifted four wheel drive.

when i park my truck, it looks like im practically crawling up the other cars ass just to be parked. good thing i havent tapped someone yet.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:
I want them all

In the words of Howard Wolowitz- "Dear God what have we done!" Shocked
Welcome to the diseased.
Good Luck in your hunt.
just be ware of the wabbits no hunting of wabbits. you can of coarse go golfing Shocked if thats your thing........just dont bug me.....it's like karma.....gia. just be sure to get the 411 on it all first.
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Well, I kind of like them because they are a little out of the ordinary. I also like to tinker and work on it, and I get to do that just about as much as I want to. In high school, I drove my bug every single day and raced at every stop light where I pulled up next to one of those fart cannon Hondas. Now I really enjoy loading my family up and just going for a drive. My thing is a totally different experience, you just put the top down and really enjoy the drive that much more, it is slow, but the kids love to ride in it. Now I want a type 3 just to see what they are like, seems like they would be a joy to drive down the highway.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
I want them all

Hahaha that was fast.

I might go look at this Laughing

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5623320708.html
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:
I want them all

Hahaha that was fast.

Better review the fine print on your VA benefits first. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Join us ... one of us, one of us. Resistance is futile.

My 71 standard needed a full engine rebuild as the case was so hammered I had to use the spare one that came with the car. Yes, I was over excited when looking at my prospect & neglected to check endplay. At least its solid underneath with a (now) 1776cc. When I asked the misses if I could go look at it & she agreed ( talking about past bugs I've owned must've wore her down ), I literally was jumping on the bed yelling " I'm gonna buy a bug, I'm gonna buy a bug" like a 7 year old kid. Her response to that display was to smile, bow her head, & then walk away mumbling something like " I married an idiot". Now that it has proven itself as a daily driver she loves to go for drives all the time. And the best thing is she can't drive a stick !

As mentioned buy the best bug your budget can afford ... be realistic as to what you can get done ; structural, mechanical, or exterior/interior aesthetics. They truly are simple little cars when it comes to maintaining them. You'll get by just fine. Good luck.

Jump on in, the waters fine ... glug, glug ... gasp, gas, ga, g ... !

Welcome to the affliction / addiction ! !

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Join us ... one of us, one of us.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:
I want them all

Hahaha that was fast.

Better review the fine print on your VA benefits first. Cool

... anything I purchase or invent with gov money is in reality theirs? Shocked
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

It is a DISEASE man! Are you sure you want it??? You have to get bit by one. Laughing

You can learn to like them. Some people drive them coz they have nothing else. Some drive them coz they want nothing else other than a VW.

You have to find that love affair. The VW is all shaped wrong compared to what a sporty car is shaped. But it is a shape that has earned its place in history and peoples' hearts.

I love its simplicity, its vintage aircooled sounds. Although there are people out there who think a VW is not a VW if it did not have a smash on it. Or rust.

My kids got their rides in my VWbug. My daughter always asked me why my car smelled 'different'. And mommy's new 4Runner smelled so nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

I started with Beetles because it was the only 4 seater convertible I could afford as a hobby car. I've owned one now for 14 years because not only are they fun to drive, easy to fix and cheap to own, they represent an era in history that starts in the economic malaise of Weimar Germany and ends with the "Me" decade of the 1970's. It is an engineering achievement, a cultural icon, and a historical artifact, all at the same time. After the PC and the cell phone, I would be willing to bet that the Beetle has had the greatest worldwide impact of any single engineered product.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

"DITTO", to 79 Supervert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I started with Beetles because it was the only 4 seater convertible I could afford as a hobby car. I've owned one now for 14 years because not only are they fun to drive, easy to fix and cheap to own, they represent an era in history that starts in the economic malaise of Weimar Germany and ends with the "Me" decade of the 1970's. It is an engineering achievement, a cultural icon, and a historical artifact, all at the same time. After the PC and the cell phone, I would be willing to bet that the Beetle has had the greatest worldwide impact of any single engineered product.

Agree with a lot of this. I got mine a couple weeks ago. I started looking for one since these are simple to repair, have a ton of support for issues, parts are cheap and world wide. I got mine as a means to get out of debt. Only thing to overcome, besides stripping the choke shaft/nut Brick wall is the stereotype that comes with a "hippy" car.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
The windshield is close enough to touch while your hand is still on the steering wheel.

Confirm that. You will point over at something to show your passenger and break your finger on the windshield Smile
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
john the red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Look at this. Just look at it! How can you NOT love this?
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

john the red wrote:
Look at this. Just look at it! How can you NOT love this?

better watch your words around the patina haters
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:

I got mine as a means to get out of debt.

A beetle isn't necessarily the best choice to get out of debt, especially as you become more infected with the bug.

Where are the pics?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

beauty is in the eye of the beholder Wink

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: