Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

make me fall in love with beetles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
He daily drives a M35A2 that always has some kind of catastrophic problem.

Which I'm guessing is always related to the gas gauge moving faster than the speedometer. Who the hell voluntary daily drives a 2 1/2 ton truck? I thought I was a crazy sob.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Literally everyone loves them.

My kid hated the VW. That hate started when he has the car floored on the interstate going up a hill. A smartcar went by so fast the wind from the smart car shook the bug. Blow off the road by a smart car = instant hate.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Literally everyone loves them.

My kid hated the VW. That hate started when he has the car floored on the interstate going up a hill. A smartcar went by so fast the wind from the smart car shook the bug. Blow off the road by a smart car = instant hate.

That is slow but I'd be pissed too because someone didn't take care of the car if it's being blown around, especially by some tiny car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

You have to have a sense of humor to drive a beetle. It's not worth that much, it's slow, it's noisy, it's not macho (unless you stuff a monster engine in the back), and people keep calling it cute. But it drives like a go-kart, women flock to it at car shows, and little kids (and teenagers) punch each other in the arm when it drives by. I like my beetle. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

My oldest daughter turned down a completely restored red w/white top convertible I built as her first car option (she ended up with a passat wagon)

22 now and looks back wishing she had taken it...

My youngest (13 now) seems to like them a little more, she has in her mind:
-the dune buggy
-the thing
-the ragtop

we'll see when the time comes Rolling Eyes

Best part of all is that for both, their school bus drives by our house everyday.
They both get a constant "is that your house with all the cool cars?", "your so lucky, your dad has the coolest cars"

I see it as a whole next generation of potential vw owners in the making...
as long as their parents can get over that whole airbag fad that's going around....
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:

Which I'm guessing is always related to the gas gauge moving faster than the speedometer. Who the hell voluntary daily drives a 2 1/2 ton truck? I thought I was a crazy sob.

Ye hes crazy. It goes 65 now. He runs it mostly off used motor oil he collects. Practical in that sense, other times hes just blowing his money like a fool.

Ah, the slug-bug game. I didnt think about that one. That will be entertaining being on the other side of the game.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

ACVW's are a disease of which there is no cure. Try as I might I just can't hate those little cars in my driveway. I use one as a daily river and get in more than one VW conversation per day. I had a guy stop by my office cube today just to compliment my DD 67. He didn't even know that it was aricooled Shocked . I thought everybody knew that.
I got bit by ACVW's at a young age(10) and have never went more that ten years without one in my life. I just can't shake them.
Hi my name is Perry and it has been three day's since I bought my last ACVW part.
If you are going to buy a VW. Get the best car that you can afford. I spent 6K on my latest and while it is mechanically sound. It needs paint. But I drive it and love it. The PO spent more than I paid for the car in parts. I have the receipts to prove it. These are not investment cars. They are for the pure enjoyment of the drive. Many times I have had a car slowly roll up on me on the highway just to give me a thumbs up. You just gotta love that.
Welcome to the diseased.
Have a great week

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
He didn't even know that it was aricooled Shocked . I thought everybody knew that.

Yesterday I was getting gas in the '66 and a guy looked confused and asked me if they all had the fuel tank in the front. My answer was "all the cool beetles do." People might now know all the ins and outs of them, but people sure do love these cars. I get thumbs up and compliments every time I drive mine. My wife drove mine all last week and everyday she would tell me about how someone liked it.

Plus how can you not get pure joy out of watching someone "slug bug" someone else? That will NEVER get old to me.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
This hobby is full. Laughing

Why am I getting the vibe of a bunch of F-off in here? Do you not appreciate a new comer? If you are being humorous, Ill catch on.

Sorry, but Im slow now. I got a TBI some time ago. For this country, if you catch my drift. Im not some dumb punk kid with a eurotrash veedubb fetish, so please dont treat me like I am one.

Just being a smartass, Welcome my friend. Very Happy

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

OP, where ya from? Know of any local VW clubs?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
This hobby is full. Laughing

Why am I getting the vibe of a bunch of F-off in here? Do you not appreciate a new comer? If you are being humorous, Ill catch on.

Sorry, but Im slow now. I got a TBI some time ago. For this country, if you catch my drift. Im not some dumb punk kid with a eurotrash veedubb fetish, so please dont treat me like I am one.

Just being a smartass, Welcome my friend. Very Happy

Ha, thanks. My smartass/ass* filter gets clogged in the neuron area sometimes... Shocked Ill remember there are no hard feelings and get my callus' going again. I got knocked out of the loop Embarassed... Thats a story with a twisted sense to share sometime.

Brian wrote:
OP, where ya from? Know of any local VW clubs?

Right now, I just moved back to Oklahoma from Colorado. Getting on the road once again when I get things sold and on track. Anyone want... ___fill-in-the-blank___?(guns, car parts, garage/shop, electronics, kitchen/housewares, etc...) Im selling damn near everything.... funny how the one item I know will sell quick has to be the last.

Dont know of any clubs yet but there is the bug bash this Saturday.

Last edited by SOLiiD on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Niceee, good luck with the selling of the stuff. Head to any type of meet up you can find, go on facebook and there should be a few. Be warned, don't take technical advise from Facebook. Talk to people about their bugs and etc.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

modok wrote:
My name's Glen and I'm a volkswagen enthusiast.
I have resisted buying another vw for 115 days.
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a volkswagen enthusiast.
I strayed off the path by diving a pile of rusty old beams looking for early tierods this past weekend & paid penance to the wife.
I have resisted buying VW for 2 days.

Good coffee... We got donuts somewhere around here?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

If you buy a squareback you won't need a pickup near as often! Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

watch the swinging pocket watch very closely...you eye lids are getten heavy... your arms are floating....your mouth is wattering ..you want a bug.... no dont eat it ...drive it.... your wallet is getten lighter...your feet are getten sore....your "exspurt" is getten richer.....youur gonna have to find somebody that knows how & what these cars need.....there are you in love yet?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:

That can be said of the mechanical VW gas gauge used from '62-'67 too. At least the actual fuel level doesn't move anywhere nearly so fast though. Smile
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
If you buy a squareback you won't need a pickup near as often! Cool

Why not have a pickup Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

I want them all
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

That's the attitude, now you're getting it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: make me fall in love with beetles Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
I want them all

In the words of Howard Wolowitz- "Dear God what have we done!" Shocked
Welcome to the diseased.
Good Luck in your hunt.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: