Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the difference in spindles
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

I have my type 3 with a ball joint front end. It has drum spindles on the front. I want to know why I cannot just pay $80 for a pair of bug spindles for discs and put them on there, even if they needed a slight modification. what is the exact difference? Could I just put a bug front end on instead of paying $1000 ish dollars for a set of spindles and brakes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I have my type 3 with a ball joint front end. It has drum spindles on the front. I want to know why I cannot just pay $80 for a pair of bug spindles for discs and put them on there, even if they needed a slight modification. what is the exact difference? Could I just put a bug front end on instead of paying $1000 ish dollars for a set of spindles and brakes?

I tried to answer this question earlier, but my computer was having a stupid moment.
The big question, is what are you wanting/trying to do? Are you wanting to keep the wide 5 lug pattern? Wanting disc brakes? wanting wide 5 disc brakes? Wanting cheap brakes? The only reason I'm asking, is that I have no idea what YOU'RE wanting to do.
Bug spindles are completely different from T-3 spindles. No just in their shape, but also in their mounting, and how they are assembled.
Can you put a bug beam on, sure. But, you'll have to fabricate some brackets to mount it. Do a search, and you'll see what I mean. Keep in mind that a T-3 beam is completely adjustable, and doesn't need anything added like a bug beam does.
Now if it's just cheap brakes you're after, then I'd have the wheel cylinders rebuilt, and buy a set of brake shoes.
If you're wanting disc brakes (4 lug), then contact Joel (Boo-Koo-Z), and buy either a set of disc spindles from him, or a complete set of disc spindles and rotors with calipers. But, if you decide to go 4 lug, you'll also need a set of rear drums and hubs to match. You can have them "re-drilled" to a Porsche pattern to open up some wheel choices.
If you decide you want wide 5 discs, then you'll have to either modify a set of disc spindles(cut the caliper bracket off, drill and tap some holes) and buy a wide 5 disc kit. Or spend the money for either a CSP kit or an AirKewld kit (see the forum thread for the differences).
DON'T waste your time trying to use wide 5 bug drum brakes, as they are just barely enough for a bug, and too small for a heavier T-3.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

What Bob said. The Bug front axle and Type 3 front axle are very different, and the spindles are not compatible at all.

As we've been telling you from the start, Type 3 stuff is not as available as Bug stuff, and early Type 3 stuff is even harder to find/more expensive than later Type 3 stuff. I'm starting to wonder if this might not be the car for what you're trying to do -- it might be easier if you did a Bug, or at least a later model Type 3.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
What Bob said. The Bug front axle and Type 3 front axle are very different, and the spindles are not compatible at all.

As we've been telling you from the start, Type 3 stuff is not as available as Bug stuff, and early Type 3 stuff is even harder to find/more expensive than later Type 3 stuff. I'm starting to wonder if this might not be the car for what you're trying to do -- it might be easier if you did a Bug, or at least a later model Type 3.

Like I asked above, "What is he trying to do?" If it's any kind of "road racing", aka Solo, or Solo II, you'll want to look at what Nate did. Keep in mind it won't be cheap. And any of the disc brake kits are also not cheap.
And yes, bug parts DON"T directly interchange with type 3s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

I ended up coughing up the money for disc brakes. All that I need to do on it after I get those on would be the interior and body rubber, and then I will have it on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

Which disc brakes? only the CSP kit is bolt on...
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I ended up coughing up the money for disc brakes. All that I need to do on it after I get those on would be the interior and body rubber, and then I will have it on the road.
I still don't think you've answered any of the questions asked of you to help you (at least on this thread).

What is your overall look/want for it?
5 lug
4 lug
disk/drum
etc etc etc.

I hope it works out for you, whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

I bought a porche 5 lug pattern disc/spindle kit (its the ispwest kit). Basically I just want to put disc brakes on my notchback to make it safer.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

so you are going to run Porsche wheels?

You will want to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder as well
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

This thread amuses me greatly... Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I bought a porche 5 lug pattern disc/spindle kit (its the ispwest kit). Basically I just want to put disc brakes on my notchback to make it safer.

You're also going to need a set of rear drums drilled in the Porsche pattern too. The stock wide 5 drums you have can't be drilled due to the webbing in them.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

Mine already had a dual circuit master cylinder, one of the first things I did. And yes I bought the EMPI porsche wheels for the front. I havent done anything with the back yet. they are all operational. I am going to table the wheels to do other things on the car for a bit.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
Mine already had a dual circuit master cylinder, one of the first things I did.

Yes, that was in your build thread, I believe. But then you started yet another thread to ask about the spindles. It's easier for everyone to keep track of what you've done if you stick to one thread.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:

Wait...which "kit" did you buy from ISP?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
It's easier for everyone to keep track of what you've done if you stick to one thread.

I tried telling that to the other guy who now has now started 125 new threads for the same car/random questions. Laughing

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
tubbstravis wrote:

Wait...which "kit" did you buy from ISP?

there was someone selling the re-drilled 4 lug discs in the classifieds, bearings and spindles included. I'm assuming he means these, the seller said they were all new from you guys

Travis, I have some disc backing plates if you don't have those. They are nice, yours for postage if you need them
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: the difference in spindles Reply with quote

Thanks Eric. Ill let you know after I get my kit in on tuesday or wednesday. I should not need anything (if im lucky)...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: