Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Voltage Regulator Question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Voltage Regulator Question Reply with quote

Am doing some rewiring. I have a good generator, and a new solid state Bosch voltage regulator that I want to relocate to a very confined space. Does anyone know how much heat is created by the voltage regulator? I have looked every place I can think of but have had no luck finding an answer. Appreciate any help on this. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Question Reply with quote

Interesting question. You can use a non contact infrared temperature scanner to see what temperature your regulator is producing now. Harbor freight has them for around 25 bucks. If you have any electrician friends they may have one to loan you as they use them to check for hot spots in electrical panels.

I would try it when you are putting it under full load with lights on bright and flashers on. You may even want to leave the lights on for a while before starting the car to discharge the battery for a while so the generator and regulator are at max load.
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Question Reply with quote

Excellent suggestion. Wish I had thought of it before everything was torn down. But I had an old style mechanical regulator. Now its a solid state unit. Or at least it will be. I would expect it to run cooler, but I don't know. Thanks for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Question Reply with quote

late-show wrote:
...how much heat is created by the voltage regulator?...

While I don't know the answer to your question, I can put you at ease from any worry about the regulator being able to withstand heat from its surroundings. Mine has been in a fairly hot location since 1992 with no issues on my daily driver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Question Reply with quote

mrgoodtunes, I'd given up on anyone bothering to help. I really appreciate you and bermoco responding. I guess I wasn't clear about what I'd like to know. I would like to place the voltage regulator in a very restricted place. I'm concerned about the heat that it may generate and if it would be damaged or cause a problem with anything nearby. Will it need more ventilation than I can provide with the planned setup? Probably a dumb idea but I have an alternate plan that isn't much better. Plan A would be preferred. Anyway, thanks again for trying to clean up my act. BTW, I think your solution is pretty clever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: