Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado cost of living
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblackburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

lol just grabbed a flyer for a house for sale. 1700 sqft on a .22 acre lot in fort collins. last sold two years ago for 290k, and the assessor has it appraised for 310k after renovations. Honestly, I thought it would be a nice house for my wife and I to move into with original architecture but not so big that it's an old style mansion, maybe in the ball park of 350k walkin by the place. grabbed a pamphlet and laughed so hard that if anyone was home they would have heard me. I lost my breath--545K! talk about robbery.

Don't get me wrong, not a bad lookin house, but what the hell. Considering I would actually get paid what work is actually worth in Cali, I should move there and enjoy a place that isn't a frozen shit hole for 5 months out of the year. I'm a 5th gen native and to see this kind of boom in housing prices astonishes me considering that the "trickle" of flow is just back into big box consumer corps that would get their money else where and only look to hire part time workers. I still think it's attainable to own a house in the next year or two, but jesus if I don't act fast enough every house on the block is gonna be worth a million just to demolish.
jblackburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The division has already occurred based on education and income. Municipalities can enact "time,place,and manner" restrictions that heavily favor one demographic over another (Gated communities,minimum prices for cups of coffee-Aspen-,zero free parking-Vail). There may be reverse flow tech jobs, I'm not an expert in that field. I am involved directly with economic development in 3 counties and the industrial hemp movement. 90% of the discussion in the last 3 years has been around the weed issue, with many towns going "all in" and reaping the rewards. Manufacturing in the US?? less than 5% of GDP, and less than 9% of employment. I don't see how those figures shifted Colorado's economy so quickly. I know many trades people,Realtors,politicians they all agree, its the weed. Of course, any dynamic event will have multiple inputs and outcomes. I freely offer that this is a generalization based on personal experience. Its still way cheaper than most of SoCal.

Manfred, I know this is off topic of the discussion but I too am apart of the hemp movement up here as well, maybe we can talk more on that some time. Glad to know some dudes are into cars and farming, it's a wholesome lifestyle my wife can't complain about haha
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

The ole saying "What goes up must come down" and when it does it will come down hard and fast and will create slumps like never before seen in Colorado.

It really is a shame as Colorado was once one of the hide jewels of America.

As to the cold / ice / snow, never had any issues with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Psshhh.
Try Vancouver.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/01/5-outrageously-prices-vancouver-homes/
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
The ole saying "What goes up must come down" and when it does it will come down hard and fast and will create slumps like never before seen in Colorado.

It really is a shame as Colorado was once one of the pride jewels of America.

As to the cold / ice / snow, never had any issues with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

To me, that place sucks to live. I just left there. Cool to visit.
If you're into the rec stuff, prepare for a little selection that changes every so often. and high prices for some govt weed, not the mystical super good stuff that was once a rumor either. Heard many times stories of stuff from other areas is way better than the same in colo. I had a Wa med card once, the samebstuff in colo wasnt as good. Still better than buying some unknown oregano trimmings off the street.
Anywho, because of that is why I think housing is stupid high(pun) there. Loads of awesome good food tho! Especially with the local stuff like jams n jellies. Oh, and the beers :drool: Bristol Beehive and Gold Rush are my two favorites.

It snows way too much for my taste... I had no problem driving in it (2500 diesel with mud tires) but it was just way too much snow. Everything in the springs shuts down. If you're a house hermit then you're fine. I just couldnt do it... Snowing in May? Peace, I'm out.

Pm me if you wanna know more about some areas. I explored as much as I could when I was there.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

The weather is not for everyone (luckily). I've seen the population double in my lifetime. That has brought problems and opportunity. The big issue will be water, and the cost of that will skyrocket soon. I'm a holder of senior water rights on agricultural property, that is rock star status in the sticks. Small towns are still affordable as is Pueblo (houses less that $50K). Overall I think the state has managed growth (and all its politics) as well as possible. All the imported Californians have told their cautionary tales!!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
... I've seen the population double in my lifetime. That has brought problems and opportunity. ...

The population of the entire United States has almost doubled since 1960. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Gulp!!! I was born in 64. I did not know that.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Stop whining. If you want to live somewhere with decent weather like Hawai'i or parts of California, the cost of living is high. You don't like it, move to the stinking desert, some mosquito ridden swamp, a tornado belt, or deal with ice storms and blizzards.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Stop whining. If you want to live somewhere with decent weather like Hawai'i or parts of California, the cost of living is high. You don't like it, move to the stinking desert, some mosquito ridden swamp, a tornado belt, or deal with ice storms and blizzards.

Who's whining, from what I gather "folks" are just giving their opinions and relating their experiences. Confused
And, I think all states have their advantages and disadvantages, wouldn't you agree.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
You don't like it, move .

I did and I'm glad Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

"Yep" we've been out of Colorado going on 18 years ago.
Sold our home back in the late 90s and paid cash for our new home here (Southern Missouri) with several acres of land.
Last time I looked at the home I grew up in in east Denver its value had gone up by 10 times what was paid for it! Shocked

Absolutely insane!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The weather is not for everyone (luckily).

The weather is great. A few days ago it was raining hard, and the sun was shining brightly, and randomly hail was also falling at the same time.
I was buying groceries. I really enjoyed waking to and from the car in the warm sun-shower with occasional hail. The looks on other peoples faces made it clear they were not enjoying the occasional hail, but too bad. The secret is, don't forget your hat, preferably one with straps. East of town there was a tornado, while lightning south of town ignited a brush fire.
Sounds impossible, but I'm not making this up
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

The weather also effects the cost of living, higher insurance etc.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The weather also effects the cost of living, higher insurance etc.

That is a proven fact.
More days of blue skies (Colorado has the most) led to higher speeds, more wrecks with greater injuries.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

I-25 is suicide in my book during rush hour.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I-25 is suicide in my book during rush hour.

"Yep" fully agree!
Problem is it runs directly through the Denver Metro area and without it would also be a real nightmare to navigate north or south.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

You are totally right. Denver is the low point of Colorado living when it comes to traffic. Cowtown to Boomtown in 60 second. Property Taxes are climbing fast.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: