Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado cost of living
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Why has Colorado become so expensive to live in?
Don't quite understand as there is plenty of room, lots of good jobs and the economy is one of the best in the nation.
Seems to be on the fast track to becoming another L.A. or San Fran.

"Hmmm"...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

The prices will go down after all the uber rich that drove the prices up get tired of tripping over all the stoned vagrants that are now bakedcationing.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The prices will go down after all the uber rich that drove the prices up get tired of tripping over all the stoned vagrants that are now bakedcationing.

Don't know about that, but do know it is a bear trying to get around the Denver Metro area, especially during rush hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
lots of good jobs and the economy is one of the best in the nation...

Hmmmm ...... could it be because of this and being one of the fastest growing places recently Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
lots of good jobs and the economy is one of the best in the nation...

Hmmmm ...... could it be because of this and being one of the fastest growing places recently Question

Could and most likely is.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Legal weed, Its that simple, and it will get into San Fran territory on the front range soon. Plenty of little towns to enjoy for the time being. The billion dollar juggernaut of cannabis is unstoppable at this point, bring it!
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Legal weed, Its that simple, and it will get into San Fran territory on the front range soon. Plenty of little towns to enjoy for the time being. The billion dollar juggernaut of cannabis is unstoppable at this point, bring it!

Now, need to tax it and out the funds to use.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Lived in Co. Springs for 14 years and left in the late 90's. I miss it but don't know if I could ever go back, I would probably be in shell shock.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

West side of Springs is still recognizable, rest of the town has blown up. It is Bum'thirty all over town , super horrible. I'm a native born,life long Coloradoan very glad to see cannabis transforming the state rather than fracking or forestry. I think its bringing the right kind of people into the state. Nice places to live will get pricier, that is inevitable. Luckily, there is plenty of opportunity to make more (for now).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Weed legalization responsible for the economic expansion of Colorado? Laughing ......not even remotely.

You guys need to put down the bong. Laughing Wink

The transformation of Colorado started long before weed was legalized. The first major visual point was the new world class Denver airport....even though it had issues getting off the ground.....the light rail links between Denver and Colorado Springs and other areas were next obvious....and again pre-dated the wonder weed movement.

The biggest prime mover of the cost of living increase on Colorado in general was the polulation influx over the past decade chasing medium to high tech manufacturing and a high standard of living at ...then...moderate prices.

All the weed is doing is bringing in tax dollars. While that is good for further infrastructure investment.....its not not what created the boom in cost of living and job creation.

While it might be fun to think everyone is stampeding to Colorado to be close to legal weed.....you have to bear in mind that the jobs had to be there in the first place.......for those who move there to be able to afford buy weed. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Utility bills are LOW, cigs are 5 bucks a pack. No emissions tests. I live in the center of colorado springs, and I'm not rich. Rather, the number of vacant properties and bums is slightly alarming, but, it's partly due to the complete lack of city planning. The shape of the town has all the logic of a random ink blot. If none of that bothers you, then you'll love pueblo. Laughing

Now DENVER, and Boulder, that's EXPENSIVE!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Facts: 6000 immigrants per week attributed to the 2 legalization amendments, many are so called "medical refugees" seeking to escape pharmaceutical relationships. 50% of 2015 tourists cited legal access as a factor in their vacation plans. 1 billion in revenue plus much more in capital and business development. DIA serves roughly the same as Stapleton did and guess what?? It will have a 1.2 billion dollar expansion to serve pot tourists known as "Airport City". Colorado is heavily dependent on Federal spending as well, close to %50 of revenue originates from them. This includes retires, military bases, etc.etc. High tech has largely left for Asia 10 years ago (where you hire a qualified engineer for 1/10 of the cost). Been here all my life and run many small businesses as well as a property investor. This boom is weed driven.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Used to be known as a "Friendly Cow Town" with the "National Western Stock Show / Cattle Yards" as one of its major attractions.

It's amazing how just a few select folks can change the whole personality of a state / city.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Utility bills are LOW, cigs are 5 bucks a pack. No emissions tests. I live in the center of colorado springs, and I'm not rich. Rather, the number of vacant properties and bums is slightly alarming, but, it's partly due to the complete lack of city planning. The shape of the town has all the logic of a random ink blot. If none of that bothers you, then you'll love pueblo. Laughing

Now DENVER, and Boulder, that's EXPENSIVE!

Ah, "Boulder" a state within a state... Laughing !
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Facts: 6000 immigrants per week attributed to the 2 legalization amendments, many are so called "medical refugees" seeking to escape pharmaceutical relationships. 50% of 2015 tourists cited legal access as a factor in their vacation plans. 1 billion in revenue plus much more in capital and business development. DIA serves roughly the same as Stapleton did and guess what?? It will have a 1.2 billion dollar expansion to serve pot tourists known as "Airport City". Colorado is heavily dependent on Federal spending as well, close to %50 of revenue originates from them. This includes retires, military bases, etc.etc. High tech has largely left for Asia 10 years ago (where you hire a qualified engineer for 1/10 of the cost). Been here all my life and run many small businesses as well as a property investor. This boom is weed driven.

... a shame.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Not even close. High tech is actually returning in drives from China.....just in different forms. Has been for the beyter part of 6 years.I deal with it every day. Tons of it in Colorado ...I deal with it there as well.

Smaller scale for higher dollars. If you are not part of it you wouldn't know about it......but its driving lots of worker movement. Weed is just a tax sideshow. Not insignificant. ....but not whats building jobs and driving infrastructure.

Do some research. I have about 9 aerospace and 3 automotive based customers in Colorado that were not there 6 years ago.....among other types of customers including medical device majufacturing. They did not move there for the weed.

They moved there for the moderate cost of living, three air force bases other than cheyanne mountain, 35 penal institutions in the "valley", decent rail links into New Mexico and the sea of engineering willing to commute and contract....among many other details.

I truly understand the boon of legal weed....and the medical benefits......and tax generation....but it amazes me the attributes assigned to it as the savior of the world. Its not. Its just an accessory. Ray
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

I see the day fast approaching when each state will require some sort of passport just to enter. And, those not native to that state will only be allowed a limited visiting visa.
It would be required at each states boarder kind'a like a port of entry for truckers.
I think we are fast becoming a divided country.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
I see the day fast approaching when each state will require some sort of passport just to enter. And, those not native to that state will only be allowed a limited visiting visa.
It would be required at each states boarder kind'a like a port of entry for truckers.
I think we are fast becoming a divided country.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Article IV, Section 1:

Quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

See also: United States Civil War.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

The division has already occurred based on education and income. Municipalities can enact "time,place,and manner" restrictions that heavily favor one demographic over another (Gated communities,minimum prices for cups of coffee-Aspen-,zero free parking-Vail). There may be reverse flow tech jobs, I'm not an expert in that field. I am involved directly with economic development in 3 counties and the industrial hemp movement. 90% of the discussion in the last 3 years has been around the weed issue, with many towns going "all in" and reaping the rewards. Manufacturing in the US?? less than 5% of GDP, and less than 9% of employment. I don't see how those figures shifted Colorado's economy so quickly. I know many trades people,Realtors,politicians they all agree, its the weed. Of course, any dynamic event will have multiple inputs and outcomes. I freely offer that this is a generalization based on personal experience. Its still way cheaper than most of SoCal.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado cost of living Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The division has already occurred based on education and income. Municipalities can enact "time,place,and manner" restrictions that heavily favor one demographic over another (Gated communities,minimum prices for cups of coffee-Aspen-,zero free parking-Vail). There may be reverse flow tech jobs, I'm not an expert in that field. I am involved directly with economic development in 3 counties and the industrial hemp movement. 90% of the discussion in the last 3 years has been around the weed issue, with many towns going "all in" and reaping the rewards. Manufacturing in the US?? less than 5% of GDP, and less than 9% of employment. I don't see how those figures shifted Colorado's economy so quickly. I know many trades people,Realtors,politicians they all agree, its the weed. Of course, any dynamic event will have multiple inputs and outcomes. I freely offer that this is a generalization based on personal experience. Its still way cheaper than most of SoCal.

"Its still way cheaper than most of SoCal" ... for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: