Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil temp on new build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

I'm having an issue with the oil temp on my rebuild.

when i'm driving highway speeds 65-70 my temps creep up to 230+
that's when i let off and try to cool down. Driving city speed doesn't do much to drop the temps back down.

I've tried everything I've read on the forum and had no luck.

The build is as follows:

1699 74x85.5 full balanced.
kueltek cam (same as an engle 100)
8.5:1 compression
kadrons 140 mains and 55 idles.
009 30 deg at full advance
doghouse with all tins

the motor runs smooth and pulls strong but runs hot.

i have 300 miles on it and when i did the first oil change at 200 miles there wasn't a single speck of metal so i don't think its an internal issue.

anyone think of something i missed?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

New engines run hot due to tight tolerances.

Try backing the ignition down to 28*.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

I'll try that. Thanks for the quick reply!

i love how this engine drives! i hope im able to get the oil temp under control!
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

i forgot to mention there is a flat spot any time im driving and try to go further than 2/3 throttle. i went from 132 to 140 mains and it didn't help

Last edited by 67vwcruising on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

Just curious exactly what oil temps do you consider safe and being under control?

Have you verified the accuracy of your temp gauge with anything else? Where are you measuring oil temps?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

what oil and what oil pump are you using? What is your oil pressure at speed?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

I know that 190 to 210 is considered operating temp. i think that on a hot day even 220-225 would be ok. But when i pull off the highway my temps are 230 and climbing. I put a meat thermometer in the dipstick tube and it matched my vdo gauge.

I'm running a 26mm or 28mm(its bigger than stock) pump with 20-50 VR1 valvoline

even when i'm pushing 230 degrees the oil pressure is still 10lbs per 1000rpm

I've never seen more than 40 psi oil pressure even cold and it takes 15-20 seconds to show changes on gauge. i think this might be due to the fact that i'm using air brake line for my gauge. its pretty flexible.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

Go down to a 30 or 40 weight oil. Of whatever single dual viscosity suits your fancy. I like shell but it's just me. 20-50 is probably way too thick for your new motor. I broke in my 1699 with 30 weight straight.

If your car is so equipped, change the oil filter.

Report back.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

67vwcruising wrote:
I know that 190 to 210 is considered operating temp. i think that on a hot day even 220-225 would be ok. But when i pull off the highway my temps are 230 and climbing. I put a meat thermometer in the dipstick tube and it matched my vdo gauge.

I'm running a 26mm or 28mm(its bigger than stock) pump with 20-50 VR1 valvoline

even when i'm pushing 230 degrees the oil pressure is still 10lbs per 1000rpm

I've never seen more than 40 psi oil pressure even cold and it takes 15-20 seconds to show changes on gauge. i think this might be due to the fact that i'm using air brake line for my gauge. its pretty flexible.

X2 on that road tar 10-50 being way too thick causing the high oil pressure to by pass your oil cooler. I'm in Phoenix and only run 10-30 oil with low mileage engines in my VW's.

There was a thread yesterday where another guys dip stick warning light sensor was triggering on freeway runs. He also was running that road tar. He dropped down to 10-30 and his problem went away.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

I can definitely try a lighter weight oil. My aircooled parts guy said I needed 20-50 for the summer here in Reno. Anywhere from 60° to 100°f

If 10-30 isn't too light I'll give it a try.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

I run a full synth 5-40 here in southern Idaho with no problems. I'd wait for a couple of oil changes then switch over (if you want).

(Don't ask for advice from that parts guy....) Wink
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

Stick with Valvoline vr1 it has the proper zinc.....in order to cool oil down, you need to cool the heads. Have you tried the porshe 356 alternator pulley.....it will make a huge difference. 10/30 makes my engine run hotter here in NC......straight 40w gives the best results in my 1904 stroker motor built by Pat Downs at cbperformance. You can buy the pulley at stodderds, and I purchased the 36mm stainless nut from jorg. Also bigger displacement requires more air flow in an early bus.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

What is this in? In older cars with increased displacement, doghouse fan and dual carbs, sometimes you have to increase air intake into the engine compartment. Do temps change driving with the engine lid open slightly?
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

ALB is right on that one. There is no way, that the tiny vents under the rear window can supply both carbs and the doghouse fan with enough air to share. VW knew that , when they put more and more vents in the engine lid. I would put a stand of on the lid, or just do the tennis ball trick on the lock.
If you drive a 1967, which your name suggest, then you have no vents, and definately need more air to cool the engine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

It is a 67 but does have a vented deck lid. I think the head temps are fine. I used a infrared thermometer and only see around 260-300 head temps. [/list]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656654&highlight=

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

67vwcruising wrote:
It is a 67 but does have a vented deck lid. I think the head temps are fine. I used a infrared thermometer and only see around 260-300 head temps. [/list]
you have to stop and get out of car to check head temps w/gun........get a Dakota real time cylinder head temp gauge.....then you will know????????
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
New engines run hot due to tight tolerances.

If an engine is running hot due to tight tolerances it's because those tolerances are too tight -- hence out of specs -- not allowing the oil to coat the mating surfaces in order to reduce friction. Higher friction translates to heat.

Two random pics from internet:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Oil Starvation / Marginal Oil Film Thickness."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

VR1 10-30 will lubricate better and run cooler than the 20-50 you are using now.

Change, and if the temps don't drop you can change back. But the 10-30 will drop oil temps a lot. Right now your cooler is being bypassed due to too much pressure.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vwcruising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp on new build Reply with quote

Ok. This afternoon I will try a lighter weight oil and maybe dial the advance to 28° and see if that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: