Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

The time has now arrived to be considering exactly what the finish of the paint should be on our 1946 Saloon (1-063289).

The body colour was black before stripping confirmed by that showing under the engine bay seal and the birth certificate so I am in no doubt about the original colour but how matt (or not gloss) should it be?

The same question applies to the floor pan, investigation within the tunnel (centre backbone) confirms that it was green. Can anyone provide a paint colour code for this green? How matt (or not gloss) was this part of the car? Also did this green colour extend to the front beam, rear axle tubes and brake back plates etc?

All opinions will be considered so please let's hear them.

Thanks for your help.

Here are some pictures of the shell taken recently...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Maybe you can find something from these album pics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=46
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

The hood and apron look like great reproduction parts.
If they are were did you get the hood from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Mika, thanks for the link there are some useful pictures there.

German Crew,

The apron and spare wheel well are from Wolfparts

http://wolfparts.com/?product=front-apron-pre-49

and

http://wolfparts.com/?product=spare-wheel-well-pre55

respectively.

The front hood is an old one (but not as old as the car). It was dismantled into its constituent parts so that there were no seams remaining. Then acid cleaned and etch primed before repair and reconstruction with an inner panel from Mika Virtanen to enable a turn catch fastening.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1739046

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

Your car is looking great. I have original dark grey paint under the body to chassis seal on my 47, engine tin was also the same colour. So I will match the grey paint for the chassis and tin. General opinion when I asked a few people suggested the front beam, axle tubes etc would have been black so I was going with that.

Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the compliment, yes it's coming along well now and so it should after almost forty years in limbo!

The quality of the metalwork is all down to Steve Hook, meticulous to the last detail.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
The body colour was black before stripping confirmed by that showing under the engine bay seal and the birth certificate so I am in no doubt about the original colour but how matt (or not gloss) should it be?

It looks not to be all matt.
There is some shine to it but itīs not all glossy.
The amount of mattness that feels right for you, you may have to find out by some tests.

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
rod_vw wrote:

It looks not to be all matt.
There is some shine to it but itīs not all glossy.
The amount of mattness that feels right for you, you may have to find out by some tests.

Thanks, this is the conclusion that I am coming to. I started this thread in the hope that someone had investigated the paint mix and could provide detail of their findings simply to reduce my 'trial and error' time.

Thanks again for your contribution, especially the picture.

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:

[/quote]

White wing beadings Shocked
New projects
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

I wonder what the worker with the gas welding torch is doing at the rear!

Is he the person responsible for the horrible welding in the engine bay of our '46?

And why was welding still being done on a car that seems to be in the final stages of construction?

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing about the torch guy. The guy in the lab coat at the table is smiling also. Maybe the photo is staged
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:

And why was welding still being done on a car that seems to be in the final stages of construction?

I wondered about the guy as well.
When you look at them as many are smiling I think they just wanted to make up some action for the photographer.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Well, there has to be some shine.
But how much exactely?
You have to find out.
Hereīs more pics.

Tis one is cruising through London. Yours?

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hallo Carsten,

thanks a lot for sharing this awesome photos with the community! Wink

Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr magyar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

Hi Rod,
I went to my local car paint shop to get some L21 Pearl grey paint mixed up for my '49 wheel rims. Surprisingly the paint code was on their database! After ten minutes the chap came out from the back of the shop where he was mixing the paint to show me a glass beaker of grey paint he was stirring. He said it was a bit of a strange mix with grey and bits of green, blue etc in it and also he said it's not 100% gloss but a kind of semi gloss finish. It looks like the proper paint code mix isn't just correct in colour but also in finish too. Maybe your black will display the same characteristics if you can get the proper '46 code?
Fantastic car by the way!
Cheers,
Andy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

From hanging around a body shop I've found that thinner, pressure, humidity,and spray technique all contribute to gloss or lack of.
mr magyar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

In the photograph where they're lowering the body onto the chassis the only thing that looks black anywhere is the voltage regulator! And are those reduction boxes on the rear axle?

Andy
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

I think it's type 51 with raised chassis.
New projects
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

I have had 2 painted - will check to see what the paint/flattener combination was and let you know. There were a few trials to get what we thought was right. I seem to remember is was some form of paint currently available for Mercedes bumpers....??
There are some pictures in the gallery if you search my name qwerty.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint finish and colour for November 1946 Split Reply with quote

mr magyar wrote:
Hi Rod,
I went to my local car paint shop to get some L21 Pearl grey paint mixed up for my '49 wheel rims. Surprisingly the paint code was on their database! After ten minutes the chap came out from the back of the shop where he was mixing the paint to show me a glass beaker of grey paint he was stirring. He said it was a bit of a strange mix with grey and bits of green, blue etc in it and also he said it's not 100% gloss but a kind of semi gloss finish. It looks like the proper paint code mix isn't just correct in colour but also in finish too. Maybe your black will display the same characteristics if you can get the proper '46 code?
Fantastic car by the way!
Cheers,
Andy.

Interesting Andy but unfortunately my paint code is only quoted as L41 on the birth certificate. As far as I know L41 is 'gloss' black and used over many years. I will ask the paint shop if there are any hints about the percentage of gloss in L41 mix though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: