Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurgen272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

I have a 36hp engine with WW Okrasa kit and camshaft, everything else is stock
With the standard jets in the replica Solex's the engine is running rich. (Idle screw is turned in completely, ...)
Any advice on which jets I should change/use (at sea level)?
58 Karmann Ghia coupe
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

the jetting should be fine. i would check the float level. maybe loose or bad float valve? those things are made in india after all and have some bugs in them sometimes. luckily standard solex parts work in them. or high fuel pressure will cause that.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

Hi,

don't have experience with the WW Okrasa kit, but I guess they tried to copy the original Okrasa jet sizes?

http://felix03.jimdo.com/die-vergaser/der-solex-32-34-picb-vergaser/

there you can see some sizes, but they should be the same that you're running. When I rebuilt my original Solex carbs and bought new gaskets, there was the choice between a Solex 1.5 and 2.0 jet, I choosed the smaller one as it was installed before...

Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jurgen272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
the jetting should be fine. i would check the float level. maybe loose or bad float valve? those things are made in india after all and have some bugs in them sometimes. luckily standard solex parts work in them. or high fuel pressure will cause that.

Had some timr to work on the car Today.
Started with changing the oil. Oil was really thin and smelled like gas.
Guess you are right about float and/or fuel pressure.
Any advise on getting those right?
58 Karmann Ghia coupe
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Hi,

don't have experience with the WW Okrasa kit, but I guess they tried to copy the original Okrasa jet sizes?

http://felix03.jimdo.com/die-vergaser/der-solex-32-34-picb-vergaser/

there you can see some sizes, but they should be the same that you're running. When I rebuilt my original Solex carbs and bought new gaskets, there was the choice between a Solex 1.5 and 2.0 jet, I choosed the smaller one as it was installed before...

Jan

The WW carbs have much larger venturies compared to the originals (according to my info 26mm vs 23/24mm), thus the jet sizes might be different.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

it is not a jet problem. i have built them with no problem. high fuel pressure or bad float valves. the jets they come with are fine.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

Too much fuel pressure. correct 2.5 -3.5 psi. I just bought the Wolfsburg West 36 hp fuel pump rebuild kit and the spring was much stronger and even longer. I didn't even use the spring in the kit. Ended up using the OG spring and the diaphragm from the kit.

I don't know whether you bought that fuel pump kit. Just assuming since your Okrasa kit came from them.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine with WW Okrasa running rich Reply with quote

I agree with most here. Many people don't realize how much float level effects mixture. The float bowl is not simply a place where fuel sets before entering the engine. the level of the float effects ts the level of fuel in all the internal passage ways of the carburetor and in some cases emulsion tube level. This effects how easily fuel mixes with air as it passes thru the carburetor.

Too high of a setting on fuel pressure will also overwhelm the float and cause mixture issues as stated by others here. If you are having fuel in oil you have a very big issue with mixture or unburnt fuel in the system. Also, pierced fuel pump diaphragm can cause oil in fuel. Good luck, proceed with care
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: