Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sick of this and about to give up.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
jwp67 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Please don't take your frustrations at not being able to come up with the solution to my issue yet out on me or my thread.

Just -wow.

Well stated.

maybe I have this whole thing wrong,its not about having a good running dependable car,its about having issues.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Please don't take your frustrations at not being able to come up with the solution to my issue yet out on me or my thread.

Just -wow.

What did you expect, they chastize me for not trying their suggestions like I'm intentionally avoiding them, when I just simply haven't had a chance yet.

Patience my young apprentice...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
kwest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Can't you isolate a vacuum problem with the auto-stick system by doing the following?:
- get it warmed up, do your left-turn trick until it idles poorly.
- now disconnect the big auto-stick vacuum hose from the inlet manifold. Plug both sides of the hose (obviously to the inlet manifold, also to the auto-stick control system just in case..). I suspect that you can disconnect the auto-stick system like this to isolate it, can't you?

Now see if the car idles any differently. If so: wouldn't that point to the auto-stick control valve issue that Johnny suggested? If the valve is leaking when warm then you've got a big problem..

OR similar to the above: just tee-in a connection for a vacuum gauge off of your new vacuum line to the valve. How does the vacuum read when the car is behaving vs naughty? If vacuum reading is much different when moderately-warm vs really warm then you've got a vacuum leak problem to sort out.

HTH,
Kent

PS: wish I'd done those tests on my car a number of years ago! Would've saved me from ripping the auto-stick out..
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

There are no vent louvers in your deck lid. Is that normal for the year of this car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Is that Steve's deck lid?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

From looking at the pics in his gallery... yes it is.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
There are no vent louvers in your deck lid. Is that normal for the year of this car?

Yes, but a 1600 single port isn't. It wouldn't hurt to throw a 70 engine lid on it.
Or a tennis ball
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

I tried the tennis ball trick driving to work and back this afternoon.
It did not seem to make all that much of a difference. Engine bay was still pretty hot to touch anything upon arriving back home.

HOWEVER...
When I measured the oil temp the other day after driving home, the needle stopped at 220 which was the highest reading on the gauge:

I thought the thermometer had simply pegged out and my oil temps were probably hotter than that. But a friend suggested that the needle didn't necessarily stop there- it might go further around if the temp was hotter than 220. So to test this when I got home from work today I immediately took another oil temp reading and it again read 220. Then I put the thermometer in the oven and set it to 300. Sure enough the gauge needle kept going around past 220, around again to about the 100 mark on the dial. (to indicate 300 degrees.) SO 220 degrees is indeed the ACTUAL oil temp I am measuring, which on a hot summer day in the south (about 95 degrees here today) I think is acceptable.
I guess it's just my engine bay is getting extremely warm from sitting in the parking lot all day with the sun hitting it and then heating it up even more driving home. But oil temp seems OK, that is a big sigh of relief.
Now all I have to do is figure out the cause of the boiling fuel. Last night I actually swapped out my stock oil bath air cleaner with the old Empi round chrome air cleaner I had laying around, to isolate the stock air cleaner as the source of the problem. (The Empi air cleaner has no flaps or preheat connection-- just the crankcase breather hose connection):

Pulling into the driveway after work it stumbled a little again but did not stumble low or stall. My flaps in the stock air cleaner seem to work perfectly OK though, so I don't know if this points out anything or not. I wonder if perhaps the WEIGHTED flap is causing an issue? Like at idle it is not closing off the snorkel all the way allowing fresh air to come in when it's not supposed to and thin out the mixture?

1600 SP engine
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
................. Last night I actually swapped out my stock oil bath air cleaner with the old Empi round chrome air cleaner I had laying around, to isolate the stock air cleaner as the source of the problem. (The Empi air cleaner has no flaps or preheat connection-- just the crankcase breather hose connection):

Steve, I can certainly appreciate your thoroughness as you try to sort out this very maddening situation.
But-----is it really necessary to remove the engine from the vehicle in order to change air cleaners? Wink
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Forgot to ask, what size tires are you running?
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

itskyle wrote:
Forgot to ask, what size tires are you running?

165/80R/15

1600 SP engine
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

I ran across a previous thread about your problems ("Why the plume of smoke?") and see a lot of discussion about your distributor.

But, I'm confused. You say your distributor requires a dual vacuum can, which you have, yet you are running it as a single vacuum. Why aren't you running it as a dual vacuum, with the appropriate timing for that? You said you tried timing it at 5 degrees ATDC at some point, but it ran too hot. It wasn't clear if, when you tried that, you timed it with both vacuum hoses connected, as Bently and Rob and Dave prescribe. (All the timing attempts you otherwise mention, you had at least one hose disconnected.)

Due to the continuing problems, I wondering if the assumption the dual vacuum can be run in any way other than the full dual vacuum monty is wrong. The full monty being: time it at 5 degrees after top dead center, with both hoses attached to the proper ports on the carb, at normal idle speed.

Apologies if you've already given this a try.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Now all I have to do is figure out the cause of the boiling fuel.

Quick and easy thing. Find a piece of hose slightly larger than the metal line that runs into the engine bay and cover it from the fire wall to as close as you can get to your rubber fuel line.

I slit my piece of rubber so I could slide it on and off as needed. I've not had any issues since doing this, but my metal tubing also runs outside the normal position. See my gallery pic

I also safety wired it so it would stay above the manifold heat tube and not flop around. Might help you and its quick, cheap and easy. (don't worry, that green wire was taken care of)
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Now all I have to do is figure out the cause of the boiling fuel.

Quick and easy thing. Find a piece of hose slightly larger than the metal line that runs into the engine bay and cover it from the fire wall to as close as you can get to your rubber fuel line.

I slit my piece of rubber so I could slide it on and off as needed. I've not had any issues since doing this, but my metal tubing also runs outside the normal position. See my gallery pic

I also safety wired it so it would stay above the manifold heat tube and not flop around. Might help you and its quick, cheap and easy. (don't worry, that green wire was taken care of)

You should drill some holes in the bottom of your red bull heater block off cans, they will be more effective.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
It did not seem to make all that much of a difference. Engine bay was still pretty hot to touch anything upon arriving back home.

Did you measure the oil temp again after driving with the tennis ball? You should have seen a drop of 10-15 degrees with it installed.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001, you may want to consider getting one of these:

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Venturi_Ring.html

I have one on my 1600DP in my '56 and it dropped the temps down a good 10 degrees. VW put them on the later fuel injected engines.

Before I owned the car, the engine use to get so hot the paint on the deck lid is all cracked and the paint on the apron is blistered off.

I would run with the stock air cleaner but without the pre heat hose - the weather is warm enough and it's probably not needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zoobyshoe wrote:
I ran across a previous thread about your problems ("Why the plume of smoke?") and see a lot of discussion about your distributor.

But, I'm confused. You say your distributor requires a dual vacuum can, which you have, yet you are running it as a single vacuum. Why aren't you running it as a dual vacuum, with the appropriate timing for that? You said you tried timing it at 5 degrees ATDC at some point, but it ran too hot. It wasn't clear if, when you tried that, you timed it with both vacuum hoses connected, as Bently and Rob and Dave prescribe. (All the timing attempts you otherwise mention, you had at least one hose disconnected.)

Due to the continuing problems, I wondering if the assumption the dual vacuum can be run in any way other than the full dual vacuum monty is wrong. The full monty being: time it at 5 degrees after top dead center, with both hoses attached to the proper ports on the carb, at normal idle speed.

Apologies if you've already given this a try.

He's timing his engine at 32* BTDC at full advance (at least I hope he is) that way it eliminates any guess work at what the timing at idle should be.

The retard line on a DVDA is for emissions. It pulls the timing back to 5*ATDC for less pollutants out of the tail pipes. With it not hooked up it runs just like a SVDA. Timing at idle was fine when the car was new but as parts wear things go outta whack... you never want your distributor to advance the timing more than 32*.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Did you measure the oil temp again after driving with the tennis ball? You should have seen a drop of 10-15 degrees with it installed.

As I said I measured oil temp again after I got home from work from driving with the tennis ball and the oil temp still read 220. So the tennis ball really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

1600 SP engine
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

As I said I measured oil temp again after I got home from work from driving with the tennis ball and the oil temp still read 220. So the tennis ball really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

That's odd because the tennis ball trick works for me and accounts for at least 10* lower temps around here.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:

I'm going to try something like this, or reroute my fuel line so there's no possible way it can touch the intake manifold- but I really don't think it is right now as I have it up off the manifold. Can't hurt though I guess..

Would the fuel absolutely have to be boiling in line there? It was suggested that it is actually boiling in the carb instead, causing expansion and excess fuel to dribble out the float bowl vent tube and down the carb throat. Thus the suggestion for extra gaskets on the carb base to try to lifft it up off the manifold more. If this is where it is boiling would this cause the bubbles in the fuel filter as well, even though the filter is in line BEFORE the carb?

1600 SP engine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of this and about to give up. Reply with quote

Stock should be a bracket on the left side of the shroud with rubber sleeve inside bracket like flex fuel line. Less length of fuel line in the engine compartment should mean less heat getting to the fuel.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 35

Jump to: