Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

Might pick one up as a little commuter car. Is there anything specific I should be looking out for? It's a 2003 with the 2.0 and about 150k, or so, miles. I did test drive it today and everything works fine. It is a 5 speed and it shifts smoothly and all that. Just curious if there are known problems with these.

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

All the little plastic shit. Vacuum hoses, coolant flange, water pump impeller, thermostat cover, interior pieces, fuse holder on battery, it all breaks & will drive you nuts. Check engine light coming on for stupid shit. While all that sounds like the car constantly needs attention, it's not like a bug that almost needs a preflight walk around before every outing. Especially the 2.0s, they're very dependable, I've got dozens of customers with over 300,000 miles.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

Awesome thank you. I'm not worried about stuff that "could" break eventually. Just more serious stuff like you MUST change timing belt at xxx miles or the motor WILL blow up type of stuff. Or "every one I've seen has an issue with such and such".

Thanks for the info. 300k miles out of any modern car is great in my book.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

At 150,000 miles it's well into its second timing belt (usually suggested around 100,000 miles but it's worth checking even as a negotiating point) & depending on who drove it where, towards the end of the clutch life or on a new one. Check for the clutch friction point, the higher the pedal is, the closer to replacement it is, it's a hydraulically actuated system & does not have an adjustment (just in case someone tells you all it needs is an adjustment.).

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
At 150,000 miles it's well into its second timing belt (usually suggested around 100,000 miles but it's worth checking even as a negotiating point) & depending on who drove it where, towards the end of the clutch life or on a new one. Check for the clutch friction point, the higher the pedal is, the closer to replacement it is, it's a hydraulically actuated system & does not have an adjustment (just in case someone tells you all it needs is an adjustment.).

Thank you for that tidbit of info. Might pick it up this weekend. Going to look at a '07 Jetta, but I think I like the Golf more.

Thanks again.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

Unless the '07 is a 5cylinder, stick to the 2.slow in the '03, it's not sporty but it's a real work horse. The 2.0t in the '07 has lots of issues with cam wear, oiling issues, & timing chain breakage (has both chain & belt).

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Unless the '07 is a 5cylinder, stick to the 2.slow in the '03, it's not sporty but it's a real work horse. The 2.0t in the '07 has lots of issues with cam wear, oiling issues, & timing chain breakage (has both chain & belt).

So, you're okay with the 2.0 that came in Mark IVs post-ABA? And you're okay with the more recent 5-cylinder engines?

I'm looking for a boring but dependable commuter. I loved the ABA engine in my Cabrio and my daughter's '97 Jetta, and I loved the 5-cylinder in my EuroVan. I just don't know all that much about the more recent editions except they're different.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

So, you're okay with the 2.0 that came in Mark IVs post-ABA? And you're okay with the more recent 5-cylinder engines?

I'm looking for a boring but dependable commuter. I loved the ABA engine in my Cabrio and my daughter's '97 Jetta, and I loved the 5-cylinder in my EuroVan. I just don't know all that much about the more recent editions except they're different.

Absolutely. The mk4 4 cylinders are effectively the ABA with fewer rotating parts. The 5 cylinders are quite simple too but they have too many plastic parts on them to be quite as dependable as the 4 cylinders in my opinion.

visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

My daily for 2 years was a mk3 Jetta with a 2.0. Fantastic motor. An mk4 would be fun to drive and wrench on. Much preferred to the newer VWs.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: MIGHT buy a 2003 (Mk4) Golf Reply with quote

I concur. The 2.0's are almost bullet proof. Just a good solid reliable engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: