Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Is anyone on the forum familiar with the black '54 sunroof for sale on oldbugs.com?

Any members in Nevada that might have seen the car in person?

I'm thinking of making a trip to see it, but before I buy a plane ticket, I wanted to see if anyone tell me if it's worth the trip or not.

Thx

p!
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

I don't know the car personally but it's been on the site for a very long time.

According to the write up the owner is in Nevada but the car is in LA:

Quote:
The car is currently located in the Los Angeles area and is available for inspection by serious buyers.

TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

I just had a look and on first inspection, the engine is far from 'proper' for the car as its a later 36hp. If you don't care then it's no big deal.

And that steering wheel is incorrect but that's an easy $800 fix. The steering wheel should be correct since it's so obvious. But that's just me.

I think that price is a little crazy considering that engine isn't correct, and making it correct would be more than 10K.

The pan looks correct but there is no mention of body and pan are matching.

Nice looking car otherwise.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

http://www.oldbug.com/kidd54.htm

Is this the car? I agree this is a very top notch price...for a 3-fold oval to justify this money it need be a very very correct car restored to a high level.

This car has great eyeball...but is lacking the attention to detail to justify $42k IMO. The steering wheel is likely a Petri Repro...if it is a real Petri most would view it as an upgrade. Engine details are a let down, bumper Overrider holes plugged with rubber plugs are also a disappointment. maybe have someone who is really knowledgeable on 55 and earlier cars take a look in person, the devil is in the detail on this generation of car and when expecting to ask or receive top dollar for one.

I do think there should be a slight premium if the car is originally black. Ive noticed that higher end collectors seem to really like black 3-fold cars
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
I think that price is a little crazy considering that engine isn't correct, and making it correct would be more than 10K.

Are you saying building a correct '54 engine would be $10K?

I can't decide whether that is right or wrong... it might depend on how lucky you are finding parts or how long you are willing to wait to find stuff for good prices.
Are you going to have $10K into your engine?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Yeah, $10k is high for an engine, but am glad others have said it first. It wouldn't take much to clean the engine compartment up. It also depends on how picky you want to be. You couldn't pay me to run the original 54 intake manifold

Over priced. It's a nice car, but even the paint seems lower quality or old,lots of orange peel. For $42k, the trunk, fender wells, should look as good as the top side.

The rear pop outs are not correct either...I have no issue with the Banjo Steering Wheel, repro or not

$30k seems about right...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Looks like a transistorized radio no? That would be wrong for this car. Looks like 12V radio not a 6. I wonder if its just there for looks.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

My57Oval wrote:
Looks like a transistorized radio no? That would be wrong for this car. Looks like 12V radio not a 6. I wonder if its just there for looks.

Yes that is a transistorized radio. That gold colored thing on the back is a transistor.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Shouldn't the semaphore lenses be orange on a 54 ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

Yes.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

I can't decide whether that is right or wrong... it might depend on how lucky you are finding parts or how long you are willing to wait to find stuff for good prices.

Considering the only thing correct on my engine was the oil bath cleaner...
I have bought everything. I bought a new case. The engine tin was stupid expensive, I think in total I spent $1000 on the tin alone (cylinder head, heater boxes, breastplate, under fuel pump and oil filler etc). Plus align bore, then that stupid distributor that was super rare, round regulator, all these parts were super expensive. Correct pulleys, coil, fuel pump, generator, correct carb... and then all the powder coating, cleaning/stripping/refinishing, rebuilding, yes. I will have 10k into my engine which is why I said that. It's ok, you can laugh at me. I should have been more specific though, that's 10k Canadian. Which is 7kUSD. Yeah, rocks in my head but... It's what I wanted to do. And some of my parts were sold 'at a discount' by friends or people willing to help. So it could have been worse... Although I had a thin slot generator from the get go, I bought another that was date coded for 54 because that's what I'm doing. I've turned down parts that were too expensive and I've scoured for some. And of course, I've overpaid for some as well. I believe in karma for those jacking the prices of things because they can.

I do not and will not have a correct manifold.

56Cabrio wrote:

The semaphores and the mirror screamed reproduction to me. Lol.
Orange lenses are correct.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Peter S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

To all who responded - thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and opinions. I knew the car was not a premium car, but certainly asking a premium price.

I'm partial to towel rack bumper/bullet lamp ovals, and is what I am really looking for, but the lure of a 3-fold is always there.

Thanks for taking to time to respond.

ps
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
EverettB wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

The engine tin was stupid expensive, I think in total I spent $1000 on the tin alone (cylinder head, heater boxes, breastplate, under fuel pump and oil filler etc).
I will have 10k into my engine which is why I said that. It's ok, you can laugh at me. I should have been more specific though, that's 10k Canadian. Which is 7kUSD. Yeah, rocks in my head but... It's what I wanted to do. And some of my parts were sold 'at a discount' by friends or people willing to help. So it could have been worse... Although I had a thin slot generator from the get go, I bought another that was date coded for 54 because that's what I'm doing. I've turned down parts that were too expensive and I've scoured for some. And of course, I've overpaid for some as well. I believe in karma for those jacking the prices of things because they can.

Thanks for the info, I truly was curious what you had into it as I knew you were getting all the "correct" parts in your thread and I know it can add up quick.

$1000 into the tin alone sounds pretty high to me but I am going to think about the complete list of tin and what that truly adds up to for a '54 setup.
Off the top of my head it was over $500 "retail pricing" really quickly and I am sure I forgot some stuff.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:
EverettB wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

The engine tin was stupid expensive, I think in total I spent $1000 on the tin alone (cylinder head, heater boxes, breastplate, under fuel pump and oil filler etc).
I will have 10k into my engine which is why I said that. It's ok, you can laugh at me. I should have been more specific though, that's 10k Canadian. Which is 7kUSD. Yeah, rocks in my head but... It's what I wanted to do. And some of my parts were sold 'at a discount' by friends or people willing to help. So it could have been worse... Although I had a thin slot generator from the get go, I bought another that was date coded for 54 because that's what I'm doing. I've turned down parts that were too expensive and I've scoured for some. And of course, I've overpaid for some as well. I believe in karma for those jacking the prices of things because they can.

Thanks for the info, I truly was curious what you had into it as I knew you were getting all the "correct" parts in your thread and I know it can add up quick.

$1000 into the tin alone sounds pretty high to me but I am going to think about the complete list of tin and what that truly adds up to for a '54 setup.
Off the top of my head it was over $500 "retail pricing" really quickly and I am sure I forgot some stuff.

Yep, and then having it tanked and powdercoated makes it pricey really quickly. The tin was all atrociously priced because it's often in horrible shape. Having the parts repaired also added to the cost; the one cylinder head tin I got was decently priced but needed an extensive repair as it was torn.

So yeah.
That car on old bugs is too much money if the engine isn't right.
2016 Golf R - my daily
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

The '54 that I'm restoring right now didn't come with the proper engine either so I've taken the same approach as Charmaine - buying one piece at a time, trying to get date coded parts that are close to my car.

Early parts are not cheap. It's taken a couple years to find & collect them all, and now after powder coating, restoring the carb, BR3T distributor, fuel pump, generator, round regulator, and heads, I'm into the engine just over $4k and still need to align bore the case, source bearings, recondition the crank & rods and P&Cs and flywheel, and source a good cam. An easy $1,000 - $1,500 more, so the total for my engine will be somewhere between $5k and $6k. And that's the cost for an amateur like me to build it.

While that oldbug 3 fold is nice, I'd expect every detail of the car to be correct including the engine for that price. Even then, I'm not sure it's worth that amount...yet.
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

K now I don't feel so silly Wink Laughing
2016 Golf R - my daily
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

I have seen the car persnally and it would take quite a bit to make the car correct. Chris Vallone in New York restored this car. My brother has about $6000 in his 54 motor that I did for his car and I got lucky and found a 90% complete Oct 54 motor. Shocked
davetaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Peter S. wrote:
I'm partial to towel rack bumper/bullet lamp ovals, and is what I am really looking for, but the lure of a 3-fold is always there.

Then buy a mid-55 which would have overriders, bullet signals and a three-fold roof. I had a May '55 three-fold parts car with those specs.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (sold)
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: '54 Beetle on Oldbugs.com Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

. . . bumper Overrider holes plugged with rubber plugs are also a disappointment.

That was the first thing I noticed.
Finding a correct front apron and rear fenders, then welding/painting them . . . on a $40K Bug???
OR . . . 4 little round RED FLAGS sticking out like sore thumbs!
HOWEVER . . . It is an absolutely beautiful car!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: