Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noslugsback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm new to the VW world but I just got a dune buggy with an auto trans and it won't go into reverse. I picked up a trans that looks identical but the guy said he was told it came out of a type 3. I was wondering what I'd have to do or what I'd have to change to bolt it up. The motor CB904907/021119225D I believe is a 1700 out of a 73 bus and the trans 00332110D I'm guessing came out of the same bus. The trans that I acquired is 003321105A VW 1a. I have no idea of what I've been told is correct, some people have told me I can bolt it up some have said it probably has a different torque converter on it and won't bolt up. Any advice or places I can go to find out what I have and what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

Yes, you sure can Smile  What is your project ?

Now what model did you have in mind? as this is important as the Differential
(final drive) are different

If you are using a type 3 for instance then you should cruise on over to
the type 3 forum .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Yes, you sure can Smile  What is your project ?

Now what model did you have in mind? as this is important as the Differential
(final drive) are different

If you are using a type 3 for instance then you should cruise on over to
the type 3 forum .

The automatic could also easily be out of a type 4 car....not a bus or type 3 Both. The type 3 and type 4 used similar if not identical in some years....final drives ratios.

The type 4 cars used the 003 as well....but as you note...used a different flex plate.
You will need a flex plate from a type 4 car or a bus....anything that had an automatic and a type 4 engine.

That being said....take a look around for a torque converter from a bus...even if you use a light car. It allows revving higher before lock up and movement. This means you can have a slightly higher idle....with less idle issues and better idle timing setting....like 10-12 BTDC at 900 rpm...which type 4 engines greatly appreciates and has better off the line response (depending on distributor and cam). Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noslugsback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean by project. I just wanted to know if I could bolt what I was told is a type 3 trans behind my type 4 motor without any mods. A parts man at a VW shop said he didn't think I could do it because of different torque converters and some other differences. I'm not a mechanic so I didn't want to tear it apart and try to put the new one in and not fit. I guess I just wanted you experts advice before I tried to do the swap. It's in a dune buggy so it doesn't look like a difficult task if it'll fit without any mods.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

Noslugsback wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by project. I just wanted to know if I could bolt what I was told is a type 3 trans behind my type 4 motor without any mods. A parts man at a VW shop said he didn't think I could do it because of different torque converters and some other differences. I'm not a mechanic so I didn't want to tear it apart and try to put the new one in and not fit. I guess I just wanted you experts advice before I tried to do the swap. It's in a dune buggy so it doesn't look like a difficult task if it'll fit without any mods.

As I noted.....you just need a type 4 specific flex plate. That is the part that bolts to the end of the crank and has the sealing surface for the front main seal.. ...and has a three bolt patttern that bolts to the torque converter.

The torque converter for the type 3, type 4 cars that use the 003 transmissione and the type 4 engined bus......which also uses a version of the 003 automatic transmission.....all use the same bolt pattern.......and the torque converter physical shape and size are all identical.

There are several different torque converyer part #s.....that while they will fitcall three vehicle types.....they have slightly different rpm lock up points.

Also...the reason why one might ask what ylur "project" is....meaning....what are working on.......what type or vehicle.....is because not everything is as simple as it looks.

For instance. ....if your buggy is based in a beetle pan that had a 4 speed....and still has the rear transmission support fork.....the automatic may have issues fitting between the forks. Also......the automatic ....and this is just memory.....may not be symmetrical on the same centerline. The cars that used the automatic......type 3 and 4......had the transmission either place off center....or the transmission width was off center....cannot remember which. Either way. ....the left and right driveshafts were different lengths.

Plan carefully and measure or this might get complicated. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noslugsback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I bolt a type 3 auto to a type 4 motor? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice Ray. The auto that is in now is identical looking to the one I got so I'm sure it'll physically bolt up, I was just unsure if I could use the same torque converter and flex plate out of either the existing trans or the new on I got. It's sounds like there may be some differences and I may want to find an expert to look at them or do the swap to make sure everything is right. I was just trying to save some money and learn by doing it myself but maybe it's best left for a VW trans guy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: