Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1973 412 WAGON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: 1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get a fuel sending unit? Or one that will work for my 73 412?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit Reply with quote

Look for the part # on yours. It looks like its almost identical to the type 3 sending unit and they are having a discusion on the type 3 forum about them right now.

The type 3 uses rwo different lengths.....a 165 and a 170mm. I will measure my spare in the morning. But our part # is a type 4 part #..411 919 049...so its usually uniqie in some way. I cannot remember if I have ever swapped in a type 3 unit. Have to check my log book.

You can rebuild then if you are industrious. Several threads about this.....most linked to that type 3 thread. I will be rebuilding mine moving forward....and do a pictorial. Just have not gotten to it yet. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit Reply with quote

Jim Adney rebuilds Type 3 fuel level senders, if they are similar to Type 4 maybe he can do those too?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit Reply with quote

Sure!....forgot about Jim working on these Very Happy .....however. ..as a rule for type 4 owners....something this simple. ....you should fix this yourself. Its pretty simple and takes few tools....all of which you should have.

The issue for me....is that if you are going to own and drive a type 4.....unless you are fairly wealthy or just have huge disposable income. .....you need to learn to do a lot of your own rebuilding.

This is not a type 3.....in the respect that short of a type 34 ghia......there are far far fewer parts available for type 4 cars than there are for type 3 cars.
Also....for example.....unlike the suspension of the type 3......when type 4s get to a certain point of wear.....they can't be driven without replacing a range of parts that are just NLA.

The vast majority of non seriously invested owners of type 4s.....that have come through the Samba and STF......have given up because of the long term costs......meaning you can't just go down and buy many basic wear parts for these cars.......and there are few if any people like ISP west.....making specialty parts for these cars.

If you want to own .....and drive......these cars and you have roughly 3x the budget of what owning a type 3 car of the same era requires......go for it!.....spend the money to have others rebuild all of your parts.
If not......I urge owners to start getting into doing your own work. If not.....the endless series of $100-$250 parts you will have to buy....and still not even have the full range of parts available that you need......will stop you from owning these cars.

Build your skills......learn and help the your own community. This is why I work to make the directions for how to rebuild and restore parts for these cars available.

If this were something like....remolded tail lights or restamped metal parts......which take heavy research and investment on the part if the person doing them......and are a real service to the community......and should be supported.

Otherwise......you are just paying for the labor of others. Which is fine if you can afford it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 412 Fuel Sending Unit Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to own .....and drive......these cars...I urge owners to start getting into doing your own work. If not.....the endless series of $100-$250 parts you will have to buy....and still not even have the full range of parts available that you need......will stop you from owning these cars.

Build your skills......learn and help the your own community. This is why I work to make the directions for how to rebuild and restore parts.

X2.

I went down the rabbit hole of sending out parts for 'refurb' or 'rebuilding' and my wallet was hit for $150 at a minimum. I'm not wealthy, so I tried to learn quickly. One thing I AM proficient at are statistics; that is more or less my career. I can say with confidence that purchasing a Type 4 in 2016 that does not have a cascade of urgent repairs is virtually impossible.

I hope some of my posts have helped others, and look forward to learning and contributing more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: