Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the air cooled scene
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place for an intro or not... please dont tack me up to a cross Confused and direct me to the right place if not

Im finally doing something I should have done long ago. To start I am selling everything I own. Yup, Im making that move. Theres a change in the winds... arr.

I suffer from CLSA so something air cooled is a good move.

I think the rear engine bug bit me when I was little and it mutated to wanting a fiero. Had that fun and realized the amount I spent on building that car up I could have built/restored a bug or made a nice westy.

So howdy yall. Im here to pick your brains, talk about bug infestations, and share what crazy ideas I have... To start, is it possible to get cylinders made of aluminum? No need to worry about warping, heat wont be involved! Wink
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum! Cool I've never heard of anyone making aluminum cylinders, however I see no reason someone with a cnc machine couldn't make some. They'd look pretty sweet!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure aluminum cylinders would wear and warp. Interesting CTE issues, too.
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

oh they would definitely wear and warp with heat applied
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Sooo what's the application of the cylinders if there isn't going to be any heat involved?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

I Google CSLA and come up with a lot of things, none of which one could suffer from (except maybe the Canon Law Society of America).
So what CSLA do you have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Can't Stand Los Angeles. Thought everybody knew. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Cant Leave sht Alone

Malokin's got it! Laughing No fusion involved. Think of solenoids, but dont think too hard.

Thats going to be more of a back burner project. Main focus is having a bug/bus reliable enough as a daily... i know i know, routine maintenance is key. But isnt it with everything?

One of my other ideas is to do a V twin of some sort to the bug tranny without having to resort to that 3000$ over engineered adapter plate.
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

SOLiiD wrote:
To start, is it possible to get cylinders made of aluminum? No need to worry about warping, heat wont be involved! Wink

You can get a set of these, but they're spendy!

http://lnengineering.com/products/aircooled-cylinders-pistons.html?p=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

fly2kads wrote:
SOLiiD wrote:
To start, is it possible to get cylinders made of aluminum? No need to worry about warping, heat wont be involved! Wink

You can get a set of these, but they're spendy!

http://lnengineering.com/products/aircooled-cylinders-pistons.html?p=1

Shocked

Are those aluminum? I need them to be a non magnetic metal. I havent really thought of looking into 3d printer plastics but that could be a whole new can of worms. Hmm...
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

Search biral cylinders for vw on google. Biral are a cast iron sleeve with aluminum fins. Some people swear by them, others not so much. FYI if your engine is built and tuned correctly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with cast iron cylinders if they are good ones. My buddy has a 500hp at the wheels bug that is turbocharged with cast iron cylinders and nary a problem. He drives it on the street and it doesn't overheat ever.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to the air cooled scene Reply with quote

yes there are aluminum cylinders. but I doubt you will find them in craigslist, but you might find some type of infestation there. good luck and have fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: