Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Hey guys, I want to get a bunch of things done to my buggy and am having difficulty finding a good reputable shop that specializes in VW bugs that's near me. I live in Brick NJ and am wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with a shop near the Jersey Shore? The work I want done is mechanical, electrical and custom things. Any help would be appreciated.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Can't help with a shop but you might want to ask over at the south jersey volkswagen club
http://www.sjvwc.net
DWP
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Vogel78 wrote:
Hey guys, I want to get a bunch of things done to my buggy and am having difficulty finding a good reputable shop that specializes in VW bugs that's near me. I live in Brick NJ and am wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with a shop near the Jersey Shore? The work I want done is mechanical, electrical and custom things. Any help would be appreciated.

I know this is not what you want to hear but I found the Brick, toms river area to have zero air cooled shops worth a damn.

Good luck.
AMAC
72SilverBullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

May want to try Foreign Car Werks in Bound Brook NJ, not sure of any place near Brick unfortunately.
04 Terminator Cobra
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

No one around anymore that I know of.....the guy here in Brick that used to do air-cooled stuff sold the building and is now doing something else....I have had to use local general mechanics for things like brakes and tires, and I imagine if you have a mechanic you use for your everyday cars they may be willing to do generic stuff. I have seen a few air-cooled vehicles parked at Mike's Imports on Richmond Ave. (Rt. 35) in Point Pleasant Beach....they seem to do Mercedes and the like....have no idea about them, just drive by there all the time.....and for a general mechanic, I use Joe's Service Center on Mantoloking Road in Brick....decent enough guys, may help you for general stuff.......you can tell them I sent you, they will either thank me or hate me Smile....and if you do find someone, or if Mike's Imports does air-cooled, let us know....

Good Luck,

Rod
Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. I was wondering if anyone ever heard of Autobahn Automotive? They are on Rt.9 in Lakewood. They supposedly work on all new and old German cars and also work on air-cooled engines.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Autobahn works on a friends new beetle and said they seem like upfront people. I'd take a ride over and talk to them. Nothing to lose.

AMAC
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Wow, this is too funny that I found this site. I too live in Brick and just bought a 1776 buggy that I may need some work done to. The previous owner had all the work done by T&T automotive in Red Bank. They did the big bore upgrade and replaced the trans. I cannot vouch for their quality of work, but my buggy has an oil leak and is hard to shift into 1st & 3rd. I've used autobahn for trans work on a Mini Cooper. They were fine, but not sure if they handle air cooled stuff.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Funny, I thought I was alone here in Brick....well, with an air-cooled VW.... maybe we could all show up someplace at the same time....any very local cruise nights? Oh, and if anyone comes up with any place that works on air-cooleds, let us all know.

Rod
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Rodmullet wrote:
Funny, I thought I was alone here in Brick....well, with an air-cooled VW.... maybe we could all show up someplace at the same time....any very local cruise nights? Oh, and if anyone comes up with any place that works on air-cooleds, let us all know.

Rod

I think they have some kind of car meet at Windward Beach coming up soon. I plan to go there if I am around. I live just off Jordan road. My neighbor has a classic Vette and a sleeper el Camino that he takes to the car show.
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be needing a VW mechanic in the Brick area sooner than I would have liked. I fixed the shifting problem myself. After that, the buggy was begin driven up from Cape May Court House and something blew up two miles short of the Brick exit. I think the engine got to hot and fried something important inside. Now it is dead. I need to find someone to help resurrect it.
72SilverBullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

rob_engineer wrote:
Looks like I'll be needing a VW mechanic in the Brick area sooner than I would have liked. I fixed the shifting problem myself. After that, the buggy was begin driven up from Cape May Court House and something blew up two miles short of the Brick exit. I think the engine got to hot and fried something important inside. Now it is dead. I need to find someone to help resurrect it.

That stinks, engine locked up? crack the case?
04 Terminator Cobra
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

72SilverBullet wrote:
rob_engineer wrote:

That stinks, engine locked up? crack the case?

The engine is basically locked up. I don't think the case is cracked, but not 100% sure. It still has about 2.5 quarts of oil in it. I broke down at midnight two miles from exit 86. Took roadside assistance 3 hours to come tow me the 7 miles to my house.
Now I'm considering whether to try a rebuild kit or whether to get a new long block kit. Mine is a 1776cc. I called autobahn. Sounds like they know what they are talking about, but I may do it myself or have a mechanic friend do the work.
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Hey, I'm in Brick, but found a good guy who knows what he is doing. He is in Old Bridge. Lou Hodi. He's been working on air cooled VW's for decades. He just replaced my engine.
CAR60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good shop to bring my buggy to in nj Reply with quote

Just had my buggy done over the winter by Juan at Pegasus in Elizabeth NJ. I traveled 1 1/2 hours to get there. You won't be disappointed check out his web site and give him a call. He has aa big shop and works 6 days a week on VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: