Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Notchback
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

I just picked this up today. Does anyone have pics of what the door panels front and rear look like? This has the seats but no door panels. It does have the front S shaped armrests but no panel. Also is the push button dash specific to the S model? Any other ideas on what makes this an S over an N? I don't have the car home yet but hoping to pick it up Friday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks everyone for any ideas and advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chizucc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Also is the push button dash specific to the S model? Any other ideas on what makes this an S over an N?

This isn't an S nor an N model. The S and N models are specific to 64-65.....the pushbutton dash is also not S specific as it was discontinued in 64.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212733

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68736

Nice notch!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Seats and Doorpanels and armrests as correct for your car. Probably would look really nice with your silver paint.

Since it's not correct though, you can get away with a lot. Dark red and Silver always look nice. Blue leather would be nice too
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

I am in Costa Mesa and have a cpl cars you can take a look at in person.

Nice find on the early notch!

Dustin
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic! That's beautiful interior. Dustin, I think I've spoken with you before on the phone. I was selling a '65 project car and you were also interested in buying some Classic Fab heater channels and heater boxes I think. Also does anyone have a line on a rear, bottom, back seat for the notch or know if a '66 square back seat will work?I had a notch when I was a kid but am an extreme novice when it comes to them now. If anyone has any useful advice or knowledge they'd like to impart on me it would be much appreciated. Another also, does anyone know whereI can get the rear door panels with the armrests and front panels minus the arm rests? I have the armrests for the front.

Thanks,

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Thanks for the pic! That's beautiful interior. Dustin, I think I've spoken with you before on the phone. I was selling a '65 project car and you were also interested in buying some Classic Fab heater channels and heater boxes I think. Also does anyone have a line on a rear, bottom, back seat for the notch or know if a '66 square back seat will work?I had a notch when I was a kid but am an extreme novice when it comes to them now. If anyone has any useful advice or knowledge they'd like to impart on me it would be much appreciated. Another also, does anyone know whereI can get the rear door panels with the armrests and front panels minus the arm rests? I have the armrests for the front.

Thanks,

Jim

back seat is not the same as a squareback - it is the same as a fastback though

the panels you are asking about are 2 piece. The upper and the lower. Arm rests are seperate. So you need upper and lower door panels, and rear notchback arm rests. The rear armrests are probably notchback only because by the time the fastback was made, they had chrome trim (I think)

Also, my upper door pads are black, my armrests are grey on my 63

Nobody is correctly re-producing these panels right now. You can get some good looking custom ones through ISP or any TMI reseller
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Thank all for the help. I need some more though and probably will in the future. I used to own a notch when I was a kid but it's been a long time and I don't remember much. This car is complete on the outside but needs a lot of attention on the interior and motor. Motor is all there but doesn't run so that's going to a mechanic for repair work. If anyone knows of a good and honest mechanic in Orange County I would be grateful to get their info. Anyways, a lot of parts came with the car which I have no clue what they are for. I've taken some pics to get some info from the gurus on here. Thanks in advance for any help. I know I will have more as I get into this build. I've tried to search the archives, old forums, but I don't know what the parts are called to search for them.

It's the big black plastic piece
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Don't exactly know what I'm missing on the motor

What script am I missing?

I wasn't really looking for another project but I couldn't pass this one up. If anyone has any advice for me on what's in store for me I'd appreciate it. Interior is gutted and I need to find correct year panels and back seat rest and bottom. Thank you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

You are missing the VOLKSWAGEN emblem above the 1500 emblem.

Engine:
A bunch of stuff
Carburetor
Air cleaner
Left side engine tin
Fan shroud around fan belt
The obvious stuff like fuel lines and hoses and spark plug wires
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Thank you. That is very helpful. I appreciate it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

here is what your motor should look like

My spark plug wires should probably have black ends instead of orange, but we have seen NOS motors with bright blue wires... My coil wire is extra long too - probably 1500S replacements. I have some NOS wires I'll be installing

This particular air cleaner should have an Orange decal

the air cleaner strap to carb should be a flat blade screw instead of phillips

soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you. If you know anyone else who might be able to help can you refer them to this post. Especially for those parts. I have no idea what they're for. Especially the part numbers for the turn signal switch.
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Awesome. Thank you. If you know anyone else who might be able to help can you refer them to this post. Especially for those parts. I have no idea what they're for. Especially the part numbers for the turn signal switch.

I placed a want ad for a side draft carb and got a few responses eventually finding one here from a member of the forums.
Again feel free to check out the cars I have to give you some insight. I always try to take pictures of original cars at shows. These can be very tricky with lots of subtle changes and different factory options..
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Yea I tried the want ads. In place now. Does anyone know what those parts in the pics are? The big black plastic piece and the other parts pictured? There's a chrome looks like moulding piece, a small switch at the bottom of the doors with a cable connected, some what looks like engine tins. The pics at the top of my posts. If anyone can help with any of those I'd appreciate it.

Thank you
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

The two small engine tins are for super early Type 3. They're hard to find and should be kept even if you don't use them.

The small switch at the doors is the front seat release - it actuates a cable the runs to the front seats - when the door is open, it allows the seat back to be folded forward to provide access to the back seat. When the door is closed, the seat back is locked in place.

And, in the event you aren't already aware, your wheels are not Type 3.
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Dude that's awesome info. I believe my car is early 03 as far as the tins are concerned and I'd have to look at the vin again and compare it to this list. I was stumped on the cables for the seats though. That clears a lot up. Any idea what that pic black abs type plastic "shroud" is for ? And yea I read on here that those aren't the right rims. I believe they are only supposed to have four holes around them. I may be mistaken about that too. Anyways thanks for the info. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Jim
It might be hard to make out but this is the plastic piece

This chrome piece is a stumper.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

I don't recognize either one of those parts as belonging to a Type 3...

Easiest way to distinguish Type 3 wheels from the majority of other ACVW wheels: Type 3 wheels don't have clips to hold the hub cap. When stock, your car had early Type 3 four slot wheels like the one pictured below:

soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Ok, well thank you. The parts came in a box with a bunch of other stuff. Had the Z armrests too but they're hammered. Beyond repair I think, unless you know how to fix them.

Thanks

Jim
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

Don't toss the z arm rests - someone will buy them.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Notchback Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Had the Z armrests too but they're hammered. Beyond repair I think, unless you know how to fix them.

Thanks

Jim

And your car takes the rare grey ones (z arm rests)

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: