Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crash box trans went from when to when?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the year they changed from the non sycro crash box like in 1950 to the partially synchronized trans? 1952 zwitter maybe? Tim
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

I had a 1952 Standard Split with a non syncro crash box. At the same time (1978) my daily driver was a 1953 Deluxe Oval with syncro 2,3 and 4 gears. Both cars were completely original. Hope that helps?
'63 OG 117
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
Can anyone tell me the year they changed from the non sycro crash box like in 1950 to the partially synchronized trans? 1952 zwitter maybe? Tim

Yes, it came with the Zwitter in october 1952.
But only in the deluxe models. The Standards kept the non syncro for many years more.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. Is thee any way to tell from the outside of the trans if it is a non sycro crash box or a synchronized one? Like by a number? or you have to pen it up?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think you can look for the existence of the side filler that is accessible from the top.
This is a feature of only crashbox transmissions.

1947 example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Yes, I think Ev is right about the oil fill plug location.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I could be wrong but I think you can look for the existence of the side filler that is accessible from the top.

1947 example:

I believe the later standard crashbox cases were ribbed just like the synchro transmissions so they didn't have the side filler.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

If it has this sort of side filler it is a split box and generally not synchronized at all.
The next generation up from october 1952 came in standard models as a non synchronized "crash box" and in deluxe or export models as a semi synchronized box. Those two kinds look the same from the outside I think.
You can see a difference when you take off the nosecone.
There is a bearing peaking out a few millimeters more at the synchronized ones.
If it is post 1954 and has a parts number on it a standard part should start with 111 ... and a deluxe part starts with 113 ...
Or if it still has the original brake backing plates on the axles you can separate them by cable versus hydraulic brakes because the standards where produced on with cables for a long time while the exports had hydraulics.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Don't forget about Canadian custom. They never came with crash boxes.

Don
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
EverettB wrote:

1947 example:

I believe the later standard crashbox cases were ribbed just like the synchro transmissions so they didn't have the side filler.

this trans filler ended with the access panel in the luggage area behind the rear seat in 9/52 or with the intro of the zwitter...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Access over the trans ended earlier than 9/52, my 6/52 doesn't have it...but a 5/52 does have it
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Access cover ended 23rd of June 52 by chassis 1-0365716
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

I purchased a box full of crash box gears, spacers, lock rings??
They box was in a rusted out VW bus for over 20 to 30 years. They all have surface rust on them but some still have the NOS paper part numbers tags.
Does surface rust hurt the function of a gear in a trans? I know the bearing areas have to be smooth, but what about the teeth on the gears? Tim
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Canīt you clean up the surface by a brass brush or by blasting with a not too aggressive media?
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

I soaked them in de-greaser first and got the grease off. I then poured some penetrating oil into a can and now some of them are soaking in that. I will take a few pics then of individual gears. I still can't believe someone let a box full of NOS crash box gears sit in a box unprotected for 20 to 30 years and let them get like this. But then again, when the newer trans were out these parts were probably worthless.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Any chance there was cosmoline on them? I have a few NOS gears in VW boxes and the gear is wrapped in a wax paper like material and covered in cosmoline. The gears look used or greasy, but a soak in lacquer thinner melts the cosmoline off and the gears are shiny steel.

I'd think a light glass bead blast and polish the surfaces where bearings/bushings/seals ride and you may be able to use them. I guess it really depends on the pitting if any.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Nancy,
Yes you were right on a few. Some of them had such hardened cosmoline on them I thought they were shot and they did cleaned up. A big thank you! Some have surface rust and some is coming of in penetrating oil. I think the gears will work, the bearing are going to get tossed. Thanks for the help.
Appreciated!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

Good to hear!

Good luck with the tranny work. Very Happy
koolerkrotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
I soaked them in de-greaser first and got the grease off. I then poured some penetrating oil into a can and now some of them are soaking in that. I will take a few pics then of individual gears. I still can't believe someone let a box full of NOS crash box gears sit in a box unprotected for 20 to 30 years and let them get like this. But then again, when the newer trans were out these parts were probably worthless.

Tim wash off all the penetrating oil with laquer thinner and soak the parts in Wd-40 brand "rust remover soak" about 25$ for a gallon but in 3 days you'll have like new metal. It's so clean it'll start rusting again within a half hour so have something to spray preserve them. I'd even try the bearings you'll be able to see if the balls are pitted.. You might end up saving one or two.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Crash box trans went from when to when? Reply with quote

I just was in Lowes and saw that product for the first time in a gallon can and wondered how it works. A big thank you! I will try it and see. I would rather clean the gears this way them have to media blast them somehow.
I will let the trans rebuilder look at all the parts and decide what is good and what is bad. They know from experience.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: