Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

26 VFIS or 28 PCI
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

I have a 1950 split, but my carburator is pretty much worn out. It has a 28 PCI carburator, but the acceleration pump doesn't work anymore and also it has much play on several axis. It's almost impossible to tune the carburator.

I am thinking of buying a restored carburator and am wondering if I should use the 26 VFIS (that should be fitted on this car) or stick with the 28 PCI. Can I just swap the 28 PCI with the 26 VFIS or do I have to make other modifications?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

My opinion:
I would take this opportunity to swap to the correct carburetor.

The 26 VFIS uses 8mm fuel lines.
The 28 PCI uses 6mm fuel lines.
Do you have a 8mm fuel pump?
You may need to switch the fuel lines and the fuel pump to be 8mm too.
I believe those are the only changes needed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

I'll measure my fuel lines. The engine had a 26 VFIS before restauration, but because the 26 VFIS was unusable an 28 PCI was installed by the previous owner. I still have the old 26 VFIS carburator, but it is in very bad shape. I'll test if the fuel-lines would fit the old carburator. I think I also rather have the original. Thanks for your reply.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

The 26 VFIS has a 26mm bore and the 28 PCI has a 28mm bore. The 28 PCI will bolt on and will work but there will be a 1 mm ridge where the bore transitions from the carb to the manifold. This will cause cause turbulence in the fuel/air mixture. Whether this would cause any noticeable problems I don't know.

When VW put out the bulletin for retrofitting the 28 PCI on older 25 hp engines that originally had the26 VFIS, they specified to replace the manifold with the Zwitter style intake because that manifold maintains the same 26mm diameter tubing for the down tube but are flared at the top to mate to the larger 28mm flange as well as the later style choke cable.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/k1.php

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

I have checked and I have 8mm fuel-lines, so the fuel-pump must be correct for my split. This also explains the weird connection to my 28 PCI carburator. The end of my fuel-line has been worked on and has given me some headaches with fuel-leakage. I always wondered why the VW guys did it like this, but I guess it's not stock and somebody else modified it.

I'll go for a 26 VFIS carburator. Can I check if I have the correct manifold for an 26 VFIS? Can I just measure the size of the intake part of the manifold? If it's 26mm it's correct and if it's 28mm then it's the wrong manifold?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

Going with a small diameter carb on a big diameter manifold will cause no trouble. Going with a big diameter carb on a small diameter manifold might work somehow but I guess it will cause trouble as splitjunkie described.
So you won't have a problem with your manifold in your case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

It sounds that you have a 8mm fuel line (connecting the pump with the carb) that has a modified connecting at the side of the carb. If you got your 26 VFIS, you will also need a correct fuel line with no modification for installing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

VW made a 8mm to 6mm adapter that would allow you to connect a 8mm fuel line to a 6mm pump or carb. They come up for sale every once in a while. Probably easier to find and use the correct carb though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 26 VFIS or 28 PCI Reply with quote

You're a real split junkie Very Happy This is exactly the part that has been put between my 8mm fuel-line and the 28 PCI. I thought it was a "creative" solution by a previous owner but it's the official solution.

I guess I can just remove this part and install the 26 VFIS instead. Thanks for all the input. Great to see there is so much split knowledge out here!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: