Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

Back in 1984, I rebuilt the 1600 DP on my 1974 Bug. I can't remember too much about it now other than the case needed no machine work and I bought the largest jugs I could bolt on. It turned out ok for an amatuer like me who has pretty good mechanical skills.

I just finished a restoration of a 1971 SB convertible but did nothing to the 1500 in it. Other than a small oil leak, it runs fine. I have a spare 1600 DP sitting around gathering dust. My question is this, if I were to decide to rebuild this engine to have as a spare, approximately what would the parts cost and would they be quality parts? I read a lot about the lack of quality parts available today. I also know there can be no exact cost until all the problems have been found. Assuming normal machining and replacing jugs, pistons, crank and cam and rods, what would be a reasonable range of costs I could expect? I will compare that figure to the cost of one already rebuilt and go from there. I would enjoy rebuilding another engine, I think.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

I had my 1500/1600 rebuilt by a local machine shop in December. Align-bored, new bearings, rings, they put the bottom end together, I just got the jugs and heads installed today. They also did a valve job on the heads.
$1200.00. I won't take anything there again. The old machinist told me he hadn't done an air cooled VW in 30 years. Rods were installed upside down on one side, so I had to take it back and get that fixed.
I guess shop around. Ask questions. Lots of questions.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

I live in a rural area on the coast of NC and don't have access to any machine shops that can handle this engine. Closest possibilities are 30-40 miles away. $1200 doesn't seem too bad as long as the work was done right.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

drbacklash wrote:
Back in 1984, I rebuilt the 1600 DP on my 1974 Bug. I can't remember too much about it now other than the case needed no machine work and I bought the largest jugs I could bolt on. It turned out ok for an amatuer like me who has pretty good mechanical skills.

I would enjoy rebuilding another engine, I think.

Wow memories, i rebuilt one in 1986, living room ground floor apartment in Dallas Texas, almost all new parts, case was line bored. Machinist told me to do what the book says and take your time. car was a daily until 1999. I remember nothing about the cost.

New parts and quality, will a SCAT crank crack? will EMPI lifters or whatever not be in spec? China pistons and cyls seem to have a decent reputation around here.

I would enjoy, I think, building my fairly new 1600 into a 1776...I think...
drbacklash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

I do remember getting my finger stuck in one of the oil pressure relief holes. Lubricated the bottom of the hole and pushed the piston with my finger and couldn't get it out. Couldn't turn my finger without the threads cutting my finger. Finally rolled the engine over enough to get the oil in the bottom to reach my finger and I could turn it until it came out. My wife still laughs about that.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost to rebuild a 1600 DP Reply with quote

drbacklash wrote:
I do remember getting my finger stuck in one of the oil pressure relief holes. Lubricated the bottom of the hole and pushed the piston with my finger and couldn't get it out. Couldn't turn my finger without the threads cutting my finger. Finally rolled the engine over enough to get the oil in the bottom to reach my finger and I could turn it until it came out. My wife still laughs about that.

Not just your wife- Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: