Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

What's up everyone.

While I was under the car today working on the front end alignment, I noticed that the steering box shaft, at the point that the pitman arm connects to, moves up and down when you move the steering wheel side to side. I can hear a clunking noise when I move the steering wheel sharply to the left.

The steering Box is a new TRW unit with about 500 miles.
Is this movement normal? I'm not sure if it was always this way.
I looked through all of the steering box threads and don't think you can adjust this out.

My steering wheel play isn't excessive - about 1".

Please let me know if you think that the box has a problem! Thanks.
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

Bumping this, hoping to get a reply. Can anyone offer any insight?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

Mine didn't move like that.
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, check. I kind of figured that!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

There was a recent thread about such movement. I can't remember if it was in the Bug or Type 3 forum, though. Search for it... it was alleged to not be a problem, if I remember right.
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box/Pitman Arm Shaft Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I found it in the T3 forum. And after some more reading, I'm thinking that my pitman arm may have moved down on the shaft even though I have shims between it and the steering box. I did take a hit off-road not long ago..
If the pitman arm didn't move, and there is a gap between the shims an the box, maybe the box was damaged.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: