Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which hitch?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Which hitch? Reply with quote

I've read through various posts here. I'm realizing that maybe any hitch will do given a bug's status and how/where too attach....that there's not a betternone over another. Just curious if this is a correct summation or if I should go with either of these...which one? There isnthe Curt ine and the longer Empi one. The Empi style in then2nd image looks more substantial.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

The first image is a tow hitch for towing a trailer.
The second image is a tow bar for towing the car.
They are two completely different applications.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

Aha! Thank you very much!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

$50 dollar question, what are you planning on towing?
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

$124-question.... Something like this.... or the other with built sides for moving boxes.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

s60088 wrote:

^^^ This would be good for that.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

Quote:
$124-question.... Something like this.... or the other with built sides for moving boxes.

This is a lawn/garden trailer and is intended for low speed operation. Usually towed behind a large riding lawn mower, yard tractor, atv, etc.

Quote:

This is what you want for towing behind a car. Note that it has a ball hitch, you would need to purchase the correct size hitch ball for the trailer hitch. Typically these type trailers are sized so you can floor it with a single sheet of plywood, and there are rectangular cutouts in the frame for inserting posts for vertical sides.
LocknFestBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

The trailer with the ball hitch is a 48" x 40". I have one and I have pulled it to Florida with no problems.
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that I'll be alright. Thanks for the note. My engine was rebuilt and he's a little rocket, especially compared to my MB diesel wagon who ponders moving....always a negotiation!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

The most important criteria when it comes to towing in a bug is not engine size. It is the weight of the towed item. Stock VW brake SUCK when it comes to towing anything remotely heavy. Yeah you here stories of people pulling this or that across country, but they never had someone pull out in front of them.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

True that and whatever I get, I'll make sure that brakes can be installed on the wheels. Surely, I don't want to strain the car, the new shocks, and new brakes that he has!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

If you need a wiring schematic to show how to add a trailer brake controller to a VW, I can make one up for you. I installed one in my Baja, after I found how hard it was to stop my LIGHT dirt bike trailer.
My builds
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

s60088 wrote:
True that and whatever I get, I'll make sure that brakes can be installed on the wheels. Surely, I don't want to strain the car, the new shocks, and new brakes that he has!

Probably best to find a trailer that already has brakes rather than trying to add them. A lot of small light weight trailers don't have the backing plates to mount the brakes, and the brake drums are usually integral to the wheel hubs so those would have to be replace also.

You need to look up the towing capacity for the particular year vw you are towing with, and be careful how you load the trailer, the tongue weight rating is rather low on these cars.

Its also a good idea to measure the height of the trailer hitch before shopping for a trailer, normally you want the tongue of the trailer to be fairly level.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

Or you can do like I did, I picked up a heap tent trailer that had brakes for $100. Gutted it to the frame (which is next to nothing), then build to suit.
My builds
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

I pulled a 4x8 trailer just like that with my bug when I was in high school. Had it outfitted for lawn mowing. Never had any trouble with it. I would suggest whatever you get, the first time you drive with it, do it on a day with little to no traffic and go out and practice. Those trailers are hard to see behind the car, putting some poles or flags on the back corner will help when backing.
s60088
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which hitch? Reply with quote

Thumbs up to all. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: