Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wire works instruction sheets on line?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

Installing a wire works harness in my 68 T1. The instructions for the main harness at the dash are cut off at the top and it is not clear where the long red wire goes. I can't tell if its fuse box, ignition or possibly headlight switch. Anyone know where it goes and/or a clean set of instructions on line or here in Samba that will tell me?

thanks

Bill
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

As per wiring works, connect fat red power wire from harness to #30 head Light switch. small red wire goes to #50 ignition switch.
boater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

google wiring works 68 vw. complete instructions
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try it out on Google
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

as an FYI - I googled it, got the wire works website, and the same issue is on the WW site. So they just made a bad copy of their own paperwork and have perpetrated it into everything
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

Skip the "post new forum thread tab," open the "technical" tab and pull up the "wiring" for a '68 beetle.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

When your options in the Technical Forums are :
Performance - Engines/Transmissions
Vintage Speed
Custom Wheel/Tire
Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys

not to be snarky, but under which of those will you find electrical information pertaining to "wiring for a 68 Beetle"? The headings alone leads one to believe that there is nothing in the General Forums having to do with the electrical systems of any VW. If I'm in the wrong Technical Forums section I apologize but the General section was the only one I found on my initial search.
I do have several wiring diagrams already for the 68. I needed help with the Wire Works specific diagrams of which I found out its a corporate problem and not just my copy. But do appreciate your input Sir

Bill
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

hitest mentioned "technical tab", not technical forum. Here is the link to the T1 wiring diagrams:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

There are a few diagrams that are for the '68 model year. The primary difference is the E-flasher system. Early '68 used a 7-9prong flasher relay. Later on this was replaced with a 4-prong flasher relay. Select the wiring diagram that has the correct flasher relay.
Also, after '69 the brake MC was changed and any MC replacement after this would have used the later type MC w/ two 3-prong brake switches. So you may need to follow later brake switch wiring diagrams if your MC has been replaced. Speedy Jim has a simplified diagram:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

Not sure if you found your answer yet. If not maybe this will help.

full page

Close up

Link to full PDF
http://www2.cip1.com/v/pdf/Wiring-68-69.pdf

Steven

PS I prefer Wolfsburg West wiring diagrams ALOT more than Wiring Works hand drawn diagram. The harness quality is about the same though IMO
Rmvr53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

EMPI3 this is the very page I was in reference to. Notice at the top right the top word (or top left on your closer view) is cut in less than half. This is how my set looks as well and upon referencing the Wire Works web site, the same error is on their own site. I was merely trying to find out what the word was.

Ashman thank you. I missed the "tab" part of the comment. I have been on Speedy Jim's site and am using it to update to the 69/70 flasher as recommended in the Wire Works paperwork.

Apologies hitest. I now see the Technical tab on the top of the page.

Bill
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: wire works instruction sheets on line? Reply with quote

The cutoff word is "IGNITION"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: