Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300 oil pressure
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt a 1300. I am ready to start it for the first time. Oil pressure while cranking is around 35 psi. What should it be when it runs? It is the original 6mm oil pump. Thanks, Casey
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

That's kind of impossible to answer definatively. The hotter it gets the lower the pressure will be. Depends on what thickness of oil you're running as well. Factory specification:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. That's what I was looking for. I wanted to know what the minimum was. I am using Castrol 10-30 for the first start-up and will probably switch to 30 weight after it is in the car this summer. Casey
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

FYI... The older 1200 Workshop Manual said this, along with a note that it was with 10W30 oil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So is this with a new cam and/or lifters? normal Castrol may not be the greatest oil for a fresh build unless you add some ZDDP to it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It is a new cam and lifters. I started it up last night. The oil pressure was 10 lbs at idle after the first twenty minutes at 2000 RPM. I probably should have used some additive but did not. Casey
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 oil pressure Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
Thanks for that. It is a new cam and lifters. I started it up last night. The oil pressure was 10 lbs at idle after the first twenty minutes at 2000 RPM. I probably should have used some additive but did not. Casey

Cam and lifter assembly lube before buttoning up the case. ZZDP used with the break in oil and all oil changes thereafter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: