Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window install tips??
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Hi all!

Hey I have to install the Windows back in my type 3 and I was thinking of doing it myself. Just wondering if anyone has any good tips?
These are the ones I know so far -

Loop some cord around the rubber to pull through from the other side.
Start at the top?
Lube the heck out of the rubber.
Have someone apply slight pressure on the other side.

Does that sound okay? Also what can I use for lube? I was thinking silicon spray, someone else mentioned wd40 but I think the smell would drive me crazy. I've also heard Vaseline is good.

Any pointers??
Thanks
Pete
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Dish soap and water work just fine. That's what I use.
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Hey thanks, I was a little worried that it might trap water if I was using soapy water, do you think that could be a problem?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Take your time with putting the glass in and watch your headliner as the rubber lip is going over the material. I’d recommend starting at the bottom and working your way up so as not to shift the glass downward as you’re pulling the line as it may sit off of where you want it. I found that to be best when I was doing my side glass. I did my rear window glass but ended up taking the car to a Glass shop where they put the windshield in as I was having my butt handed to me on trying to get that to sit proper. Having extra hands will help immensely. Good luck and look forward to the pics!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

PeteLeary wrote:
Hey thanks, I was a little worried that it might trap water if I was using soapy water, do you think that could be a problem?

Nope.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Dish soap and water work just fine. That's what I use.

Me too, slightly heavy on the soap (make it more slippery). I can't tell you how many windows I've installed using soapy water over the years, but it's more 8 (not all were VWs either). Cool

About the only issue I ever had arise from it, was in my T-34, as we went thru a heavy rainstorm and we had a soap bubble appear in one side lower windshield part of the seal. It never let any water in, and the bubble eventually popped in the sunshine. It never happened again in the next 2 years of owning it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Have a professional install the wind shield. I have installed quite a few windshields, but the Type 3s compound curve can be a bitch. When I TRIED to install mine, it cracked. I then had one of those mobile class companies install one theirs. They cracked it on their first try, but got it right on the second. At least if they crack it, they have to eat the replacement cost.

All the other windows are a piece of cake with the methods mentioned above.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

I agree the windshield is tricky, but it's doable. I had to install mine twice to get it like I wanted it, but that's definitely a case where I found I had to take my time.
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Damn, I'm a bit stuck with what to do.
Looks like the window people around here (Melbourne) are kinda pricey and if it breaks you have to buy a new one from them Sad they're not exactly instilling confidence in me.
I guess I'll just have a look and see if I have any chance.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

If they will not install it without a no breakage / replacement policy, then you might as well do it yourself. The only difficult one is the windshield. The rest are a piece of cake.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

If your doing the door windows, be very careful with the aluminium trim/outer window wiper which is pretty easy to ding up or bend irreparably

If you get cheap seals, they with not look as nice when installed, or be rather difficult to install.
SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

I got the side ones in, they went really nicely. They were still the original as far as I know so they have a little scuffing and what not but they look pretty nice.
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Unfortuantely I was not so lucky on mine.... Embarassed
SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Ahh bummer! Well I only had to do they back two, the middle ones are pop outs which are still a bit of a pain.
PeteLeary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I had a bit of a go and it looked like I was making a mess of it so I called a windscreen place. Turned out it was just down the road and they were pretty helpful. The fit wasn't great though. They reckon the rubber might be a bit hard. I can't remember which one I bought though 'cause it was years ago. But I think it'll have to be looked at eventually...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the corners are a bit off...
68vwfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

It's funny because my front windshield went in quite easy (ISP seals). I had trouble with my back window on my Fastback. Still is not in right.

I did not use any slippery substance, probably should have.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Window install tips?? Reply with quote

Read page 24 of the build thread below for a step by step method to replace your own windshield working alone .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: