Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Ok. So replaced the brake light switch last October/November and MAYBE have put 200 miles on the car and damn brake light switch has gone out! Now I know everyone says the el cheapos are crappy, but this was one of the more expensive ones from ATE I believe. WTH? Specifically, who sells a decent brake light switch? Im talking, what store? What brand? One I got before was from Airhead parts and was $17+ shipping. Don't mind spending the money if the $%#$@#@%#$@#$ thing will last more than 8-9 months and a few hundred miles!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I mostly use Napa or Beck Arnley (not just for VW's) and buy them at local parts houses. ..

Plus.. its pretty easy to retrofit a universal micro switch at the pedal/floor.. and do away with the pressure switches..

IMO a pedal switch is a safer alternative as it will activate the stop lamps as soon as the pedal starts to move..

Something along these lines.. maybe better hidden... but this is mounted under the throttle pedal..

fluxcap wrote:

So I installed a micro roller switch. Found it at RadioShack. It can actually be set up for a normally open or normally closed operation. I made a small L bracket to mount it which is mounted to one of the pedal cluster bolts. Been on for a couple of years and working great still. The output wire is T'd into the wire on the master cylinder switch, so if the electric switch ever fails, I will still have the pressure switch as a backup.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it looks a little ghetto, but its pretty well hidden behind the gas pedal and as long as it works (brake lights come on instantly), I'm happy as can be with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat May 28, 2016 6:29 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I mostly use Napa or Beck Arnley and buy them at local parts houses. ..

Plus.. its pretty easy to retrofit a universal micro switch at the pedal/floo.. and do away with the pressure switches..

IMO a pedal switch is a safer alternative as it will activate the stop lamps as soon as the pedal starts to move..

Something along these lines.. but maybe better hidden..

fluxcap wrote:

So I installed a micro roller switch. Found it at RadioShack. It can actually be set up for a normally open or normally closed operation. I made a small L bracket to mount it which is mounted to one of the pedal cluster bolts. Been on for a couple of years and working great still. The output wire is T'd into the wire on the master cylinder switch, so if the electric switch ever fails, I will still have the pressure switch as a backup.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it looks a little ghetto, but its pretty well hidden behind the gas pedal and as long as it works (brake lights come on instantly), I'm happy as can be with it.

Might be something Ill try in the future, but right now just hoping to get a new switch. I have my kids coming into town after next weekend and have nearly zero time to do any sort of mods right now.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I have my kids coming into town after next weekend and have nearly zero time to do any sort of mods right now.

and now.. .you want a rush job.... that's extra... Laughing

99% of the time I buy my brake parts locally.
Screw shipping charges and time... The most I've had to wait is one day.

FYI.. 2 or 3 terminal switches will interchange... for older 2 prong systems you simple omit the center terminal and not connect it to anything..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
I have my kids coming into town after next weekend and have nearly zero time to do any sort of mods right now.

and now.. .you want a rush job.... that's extra... Laughing

99% of the time I buy my brake parts locally.
Screw shipping charges and time... The most I've had to wait is one day.

FYI.. 2 or 3 terminal switches will interchange... for older 2 prong systems you simple omit the center terminal and not connect it to anything..

I want good and fast..... didn't say cheap so I should be ok right? Wink

Called the local Napa and they are bringing two of them in tomorrow. I'll keep one in my parts box just in case. At least this will keep me going down the road for a few months I guess.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that one of the better switches went bad.

I don't think anyone sells the Mera brand any more, which I think were very good switches.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
[..... didn't say cheap so I should be ok right? Wink

Even expensive parts... go bad...

So.... maybe.. .

Note.. if you are using DOT 3-4 brake fluid.. = flush or exchange it every 2 years.. helps brake parts last a long time.
Usually and often edited
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
[..... didn't say cheap so I should be ok right? Wink

Even expensive parts... go bad...

So.... maybe.. .

Note.. if you are using DOT 3-4 brake fluid.. = flush or exchange it every 2 years.. helps brake parts last a long time.

Hmm. Never done that before. Brakes had been redone on the car before I got it and the level has stayed good so I didn't mess with it. Lines all look very good. Guess I'll add that to the late summer list after the kids are gone back to live with the life sucking leach, er... their mom.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
....Note.. if you are using DOT 3-4 brake fluid.. = flush or exchange it every 2 years.. helps brake parts last a long time.

Hmm. Never done that before. Brakes had been redone on the car before I got it and the level has stayed good so I didn't mess with it. Lines all look very good. Guess I'll add that to the late summer list after the kids are gone back to live with the life sucking leach, er... their mom.

Nah...dont wait...perfect opportunity... you'll have helper pedal pumpers on hand .. unless they are younger than 5.. ish..
PLUS you will be changing the switch.. so the system sorta kinda needs to be bled anyway..
I prefer the open and push method. It doesn't aerate the fluid.

Brake fluid is one of the top neglected fluids on vehicles..
DOT 3-4 holds moisture and can combine with water unknowingly.

Drain the reservoir, fill with fresh brake fluid,
Start at the RR or furthest from the master. .
(LHD = RR, LR, RF,LF.. )
Open the RR bleeder,
yell.. DOWN!
Helper pushes the pedal to the floor and HOLDs, < that's important..
Close RR bleeder.
yell UP!
Helper releases the pedal.
Count 5 seconds..
Repeat 5 times at RR,
Top off fluid.
Move to the LR, then RF, Then LF.. 5 times at each topping fluid between locations..

Takes about 10-15 minutes with a helper..

I do it by myself if no one is around to help... which in most of the time.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri May 27, 2016 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow when I change the switch. My second wife came with a helper and she likes to help when she can.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I wish I knew. I change those brake light switches at least twice a year. They never last. Unbelievable poor quality. If I have to do it again anytime soon I will change to a switch off of the brake pedal. I drive my car at least 400 miles a week and considering all the maintenance I already have to do every every extra bit because of low quality parts sucks.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

FWIW.. I currently have 3 Vw's on the road..

All have dual circuit hydraulic systems..

1 has a pair of BWD's (I think) (2008)
1 has a pair of Beck Arnley's (2011)
1 has a pair of Napa's. (2012)

None of which I've had to change since installation.. not saying one isn't bad.. and they are riding on the back up second switch.....
Granted.. I dont put miles on miles on mine like i used too. ... but they do get driven and checked over often.

I do flush my fluid every 2 years....

Advice ..if it has a single circuit hydraulic system.. upgrade to the 67 and newer dual circuit master. ..

Usually and often edited
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Advice ..if it has a single circuit hydraulic system.. upgrade to the 67 and newer dual circuit master. ..

Why do you keep finding me more work?!?!? You are starting to sound like my wife Laughing
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Maybe try http://bughaus.com
I have never purchased brake light switches from them but their quality is usually very good. They have a note on the web page that says:
"If we're out of the German-made FTE we will substitute ATE-brand switches which are made somewhere in Europe. Both are the best quality switches on the market and both are OEM to VW."
I imagine you could call them to find which they have in stock.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

I would recommend switching to a mechanical brake light switch. At one time I posted the number for a good plug for any unused master cylinder holes. A mechanical switch can be adjusted so they work before the brakes at starts to. It also works even if the brakes fail and you are stopping with the engine and e brake. I think that plug has the number "br18". If there is interest I will check when home.

My buggy has dual circuit brakes. My oval has the old single circuit system. The swap to dual is kinda a pain. The 2 front lines are easy to change but the line from the master to the rear splitter will require you to pull the interior on the left side. I've had less than good luck rebending 40+ year old hard lines.

Correction: The plug is BrakeQuip BQ18

Last edited by EVfun on Sat May 28, 2016 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Yeah I just finished installing the interior last weekend. Pisses me off because everything was fine before I parked it a couple of months ago and tore the interior out. It was a bit of a pain to get running right again and then the brake switch goes. Ugh.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
Maybe try http://bughaus.com
I have never purchased brake light switches from them but their quality is usually very good. They have a note on the web page that says:
"If we're out of the German-made FTE we will substitute ATE-brand switches which are made somewhere in Europe. Both are the best quality switches on the market and both are OEM to VW."
I imagine you could call them to find which they have in stock.

Unfortunately, I've gone this route as mentioned in my first post. Ordered "genuine German" ATE/FTE switch and it failed after 9 months and barely any use. I'll look at it tomorrow when I remove it to confirm which it is for certain. But right now even German ones suck. Might as well have saved my money and bought 3-4 of the cheap ones. Either way that is a dismally short time for a brake light switch.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Why do you keep finding me more work?!?!? You are starting to sound like my wife Laughing

Sorry.. .. Wink

No need to do it now other than the slight safety factor..... but when its time for it's next master cylinder.. change it.. and upgrade..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604177&highlight=dual+master

EVfun wrote:
The swap to dual is kinda a pain. The 2 front lines are easy to change but the line from the master to the rear splitter will require you to pull the interior on the left side. I've had less than good luck rebending 40+ year old hard lines.

Um... Anxious no interior removal required...that is.. unless the rear line needs to be replaced due to age and issues.
The existing rear line is simply bent and formed to fit the rear master upper port..

The conversion is straight forward with really only a reservoir change and adding the extra stop lamp switch and jumper harness.

Usually and often edited
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT, it may be time for a flush. My last was 3 yrs ago but even then I don't think those dang switches should fail in that time.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells a brake light switch worth a damn? Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT, it may be time for a flush. .....My last was 3 yrs ago but even then I don't think those dang switches should fail in that time.

Yep.. three cups off coffee do it every time..
.. Shocked . .. oh wait.. brake fluid flush... exchange..

No switches should last longer.. agreed... .. the common cheap switch failure is within the contacts not the diaphragm..
But... the switch ports are the lowest ports on the system.. Its very common for old and cruddy fluid to clog the switch passage...
Flush.. people.. flush.. Laughing
It helps purge the crud and moisture..

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: