Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

Electrical Gurus!! I wired my car using a new wiring harness. All lights work. Headlights, running lights, brake lights, dome light, wiper. All but turn signals. With the brake pedal pressed and brake lights on if I pull the turn signal lever the corresponding tail light turns off but no flashing. And no power to the front signals. The relay is the original SWF. Switch is original 6 wire. With nothing going to the fronts I'm wondering if there is a problem inside the switch. Any ideas?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

Try taking out the flasher relay and run the fused power directly to the turn signal switch. The flasher is old and it may be dead. Since you have brake lights and since they go out on one side when you use the turn signal switch it looks like you have them wired at least mostly correct.

Is it possible that you have one of the front turn signal wires connected to the flasher and the flasher connected to one side front signal wire?
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

OK, I hooked the 2 wires together as you suggested and yes that got power to the front bulbs. So bad relay. I fished thru an old box and found a 6 volt relay. One of the round silver variety with 3 prong connecters.. I connected the wires and power and blinking to all four bulbs. 3 questions. 1. can I safely use this relay in place of the SWF type? 2. does the third prong connect to the flasher indicator light? 3. No ground wire connects to this style relay? Thanks for the help.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

A 3 terminal turn signal switch that doesn't require a ground will not flash the speedo turn indicator bulb. Still, I would try grounding the can and connecting it that way. Some flashers just ground the can and only use that ground for the dash light. You can also connect the indicator bulb to the same terminal of the flasher as you connect to the turn signal switch, using it like a 2 terminal flasher. There is no problem using one of these.

I'm still using my old SWF flasher but the dash light terminal doesn't work. I removed the ground wire and connected the terminal that goes to the turn signal switch to the indicator too so it works again.

Last edited by EVfun on Sat May 28, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

Dont toss that old flasher unit! You can drill out the 2 rivets & disassemble it.
File the contact points, and you can adjust the 'flash time'. Like new!

-c-
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal issue Reply with quote

I am having the same issue with my bullets. I tested it with a bulb and some alligator clips and the flasher unit works. I'm thinking it's the ground, does anyone have an exploded view of the bullet assembly? Looking at it from the back there appears to be a rubber bushing between the body and the nut. Does the nut that holds the bullet assembly to the fender create the ground?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: