Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

road side fuel pump change
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

my fuel pump went out on me today and luckily i had a spare in the trunk, i wasn't sure if it worked, i had replaced the rubber bits, but i threw it in anyway. the car started right up, but about half way home she started losing power and stalling, i was having to keep reving the engine to make it home, when i got home i noticed gas dripping out of the carb. do you think this is a carb issue now? or is the new fuel pump not functioning properly...
pretty fun changing that fuel pump out on the road, i got so excited that i fixed it, i drove off leaving my tool box on the side of the road, some guy was nice enough to honk and let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

Quote:
pretty fun changing that fuel pump out on the road, i got so excited that i fixed it, i drove off leaving my tool box on the side of the road, some guy was nice enough to honk and let me know.

Classic!
You may want to check fuel pressure from the new pump (you want it about 2-3 psi). If its too high it can force fuel. If it runs down carb it will harm rings/cyl walls/oil....=...no bueno.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

thanks, that's what i was wondering....but how do you adjust the pressure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
thanks, that's what i was wondering....but how do you adjust the pressure?

You can add gaskets under the fuel pump. This raises the pump relative to the pushrod. Next best way is to get a fuel regulator. Holly makes an adjustable one - goes from 1 pound up to 4 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-804-Fuel-Pressure-...+regulator

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

very cool, thanks a lot gents.
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
my fuel pump went out on me today and luckily i had a spare in the trunk, i wasn't sure if it worked, i had replaced the rubber bits, but i threw it in anyway. the car started right up, but about half way home she started losing power and stalling, i was having to keep reving the engine to make it home, when i got home i noticed gas dripping out of the carb. do you think this is a carb issue now? or is the new fuel pump not functioning properly...

Tucson connection in the ether somewhere, as my car is essentially doing the same thing right now. Sputter, loss of power, stalling, and a few drops of fuel out of the carb. I've been working to clean the carb out, but it doesn't really look THAT bad, so I've been wondering about the fuel pump as well. Unfortunately, mine does not appear stock as it doesn't have a screw on top to get to the filter inside (if this one even has a filter). So now I'm wondering how to open up, or if I can open up my pump to clean it out. Also wondering if there's something else that could cause a pressure increase from the fuel pump other than gunk in it. Might need to look at getting one of those regulators myself... . Good luck getting your dialed in!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

I have been driving ACVW as daily drivers for the lat 28 years now. The number 1 issue i have personally dealt with across several vehicles and Types is fuel pump issues. I have made it a custom to always keep a spare with its auxiliaries . My last 'road side' emergency was about 5 years ago, and ,yup, fuel pump. But this case was a dead electric Carter pump. Engine dies , I coast to the side of the country road. Quick diagnostic then I pull out tools and spare parts. Then a quick and easy swap of parts for the mechanical to go back on..........Then not so quick and easy Crying or Very sad . The dead electric pump ,under the tank, was blocking the fuel from flowing. So I had to jack it up, pull the wheel , get a lot dirtier than I cared for, for where i was on my way to ,but got it done. Next day picked up another spare mechanical pump.........Having thus forever shunned the idea of having another electric pump Wink
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: road side fuel pump change Reply with quote

You can test/check fuel pressure with an inexpensive pressure reader like these. It wont regulate pressure but it will tell you if you need to.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-93547.html
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: