Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior and Jam painting
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Interior and Jam painting Reply with quote

Experts,

Going to be doing a color change on my daughters Squareback. The original paint is in great condition on the dash and under the dash. Would these areas need to be primed prior to the new color or can I sand and paint this. It's going from a darker original blue to an original color light blue (Diamond Blue) I think?

In the jams, engine compartment, and under the trunk, Do you think I need to prime all of that also? The paint is a little rougher there, but I'm not sure that all of that needs a filler primer and block sanding.

Thanks.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior and Jam painting Reply with quote

Guessing you didnt go with the shop.

Im no expert but here we go,
The bottom of the dash and under the dash wont need to be primed. As long as there is no metal showing you should be fine with just wet sanding to 800 or even scuffing it with a grey scotchbrite. You might want to try to lay some sealer right before painting tho just to be safe and protect the new paint from the old but not necessary. You dont sand the sealer just paint over it after it flashes.

Idk how rough the paint is the other areas is, maybe pictures would help. But again maybe sanding the area flat with first then primer if necessary.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Interior and Jam painting Reply with quote

No, I didn't go with the shop. As nice I as it probably would have come out, I just can't justify spending that much money on a teenagers first car, so I'm plugging away with doing it myself.

Yeah, the dash and under dash paint is perfect as it's never seen the sun or anything.

I'll try and get some pictures up today, I'll be out finishing stripping the car down today.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Interior and Jam painting Reply with quote

No. As long as it's scuffed and cleaned properly and you don't sand through the original finish.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Interior and Jam painting Reply with quote

The guy who painted mine just asked me to go over the dash and interior parts with a scotchbrite pad to my own satisfaction. I did, and it turned out great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: