Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alysiasc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

Anyone know of any shops near Aiken, SC that will work on a 73-74 bug?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

Lee Hanks on five notch road and Bell's Automotive in North Augusta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alysiasc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

Both reasonable and dependable?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

First let me say that I've been to both and they both know VWs. And, its been a couple of years since I've been to either one.

Lee is a little quirky. I don't know that I would take my car to him if it needed major work. For instance, I took mine to him because it was skipping and the next thing I know, I have a new Chinese carburetor without even a phone call prior to installing it.

Bell - last I talked to him, he was still in business. He had some health related issues. I would call him first before going. And, I've called in the past and he was out running VW errands so he had to call me back.

Both are "reasonably"/comparable in pricing. I would choose Bell first.

Just curious, what kind of problem are you having?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alysiasc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

It needs a basic tune up to begin with and if I keep waiting for me to have free time to mess with it, it will be sitting there forever before I get around to it.

I'm having issues with white smoke coming out of only one of the tail pipes (passenger side) and what looks like oil coming out of that same exhaust. So I am trying to trouble shoot that one.

The other issue that I keep having is somewhat two-part, the valve cover keeps coming un-seated on the drivers side - I just replaced the valve cover gaskets within the last month. It will be seated fine and locked in place, then you go for a drive and when you get back you can check it and it has shifted like it has dropped but is still locked in position. The secondary issue is that oil fill line has a rubber stopper for a cap with nothing to lock it in place and it likes to pop off - tends to happen when the engine is revved while driving. Both issues remind me of a system expanding under pressure but I can't figure out why the oil system is acting this way.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

Ouch.

The tune up not so bad but the other stuff is above my paygrade. Very Happy
Guess that's why mine is currently in Charlotte, North Carolina at MonkeyNut VW getting some major stuff done.

I've got a towbar if you need it. I'm currently helping my neighbor with his brakes. I'll be glad to help in any way I can...just let me know.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

Oh and there is also a guy here in Augusta - Robinson VW (I believe). I would use him last - he works on cars on a dirt driveway. Not that there is anything wrong with that but he's REAL quirky.

Guess we all are in some way. Just my opinion.

Bell first, then Hanks, then Robinson.
alysiasc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

What do you mean by REAL quirky? that Robertson was the one the VW dealership pointed me to - should I avoid that one?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW Repair Shop Near Aiken, SC Reply with quote

He does know VWs. I've seen him work on cars in his dirt driveway. Stuff everywhere. Kept trying to give me a calendar....and it was July.

But, you don't go to him for social hour, just VW repairs.

I still say Bell first.

But Robinson can fix your car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: