Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting idle speed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Adjusting idle speed Reply with quote

Hello all,
My van came back from a clutch job with a tad too slow idle speed when warm, the tech at the shop said he tuned some things while he was in there but it is not to my liking.
So I want to increase the idle speed a little bit. I read the Bentley section 24 and it says below image 24-175 to disconnect the O2 sensor and the idle stabilizer control connector. I know where the O2 sensor is so I'm fine locating that one. The issue I have is with the idle stabilizer control connector, on my van the only connector near the thermostat housing is this yellow one on the green wire. Could it be the one? It is slightly more to the right and does not look like the one on the image. There are no other connectors in that general area.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idle speed Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Saw your post on idle speed adjustment, you are looking at the correct connector.

You really don't need to disconnect that wire to adjust the idle, just turn the big screw on the Throttle Body down(clockwise) The wear in the Throttle body may be such that you can turn the screw all the way in and not see much change in the idle speed. One last tip, there is an o ring on the idle speed screw itself, you can easily remove the screw, inspect and lube the oring with some silicone grease to rule out an air leak at the screw.

If the VW technician working on your van adjusted the bypass air (CO adjustment screw on the Air flow meter,) then the process gets a little more involved. Let me know if I can help further.

Peter in Hamilton

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idle speed Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Hi Alex,

Saw your post on idle speed adjustment, you are looking at the correct connector.

You really don't need to disconnect that wire to adjust the idle, just turn the big screw on the Throttle Body down(clockwise) The wear in the Throttle body may be such that you can turn the screw all the way in and not see much change in the idle speed. One last tip, there is an o ring on the idle speed screw itself, you can easily remove the screw, inspect and lube the oring with some silicone grease to rule out an air leak at the screw.

If the VW technician working on your van adjusted the bypass air (CO adjustment screw on the Air flow meter,) then the process gets a little more involved. Let me know if I can help further.

Peter in Hamilton

Hi Peter, the TB is new so I don't expect any wear. I was under the impression these two sensors had to be disconnected in order to prevent the Idle Control Unit to automatically compensate for the change made on the TB air by pass screw. It made sense too because I gave two solid turns to the screw with no change at all on idle speed. Anyways now that I know it's the right connector I will play around some more and see what I can do.
Thanks for the reply Smile
Alex
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idle speed Reply with quote

Alex Proulx wrote:
I will play around some more and see what I can do.
Thanks for the reply Smile
Alex

And what did you discover?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: