Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this part?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: What is this part? Reply with quote

Looking thru parts box that came with bus - and I came across this. Not sure what it is...any ideas?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

Clutch or throttle cable?
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

Not the clutch cable for my Westy - I just replaced that.

Here is another part from the same parts box - trying to ID.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

E brake?
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

The cable is a heater control cable, and the rod looks like the link rod that goes between the throttle body and the EGR.

Central Jersey VW Society
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
and the rod looks like the link rod that goes between the throttle body and the EGR.

X2
(sold - but not forgotten)
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

Looking at my heater control cable -the ends are a heavy or thicker piece of bent metal. Is this for a different year?

I think this is the heater cable for my bus
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2682

The ends are definitely different.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Looking at my heater control cable -the ends are a heavy or thicker piece of bent metal. Is this for a different year?

I think this is the heater cable for my bus
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2682

The ends are definitely different.

There is a right and a left cable, they have different style ends where they hook up to the lever up front.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

Heater Cable, Rhttp://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=Heater+Cable%2C+RH+%2873-79%29H (73-79)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2685

Note that there have been different style ends to the heater cables over the years.
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Heater Cable, Rhttp://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=Heater+Cable%2C+RH+%2873-79%29H (73-79)

Fixed Link:

http://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=Heater+Cable%2C+RH+%2873-79%29H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

If it is shorter than the length of the bus by a long way it can be a cable for the hot air diverter valve under the front seats on a bus that was built as a Kombi.

This can be removed in one piece complete with the rubber gaiter, as it does not run in tubes like the long heater cables going to the rear where the gaiter will not fit down the tubes.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

I think I got it - after reading your posts, and looking more closely under dash - I see that cable must be the right hand heater cable.

While under the dash - I looked at the short rod connecting the fresh air flap - and it looks like the short part I have.

I need to replace the lever that controls where the heat comes out (ie defrost or footwell. I see BusDepot has something that they say will work with some modification. Anyone done this yet?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I think I got it - after reading your posts, and looking more closely under dash - I see that cable must be the right hand heater cable.

While under the dash - I looked at the short rod connecting the fresh air flap - and it looks like the short part I have.

I need to replace the lever that controls where the heat comes out (ie defrost or footwell. I see BusDepot has something that they say will work with some modification. Anyone done this yet?

I just saw where the defroster tree cable was available new again, search for "cable" on the Bus Depot site.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this part? Reply with quote

I've got a '78 Westy, the one I see on the Bus Depot site says it needs some modification to work properly. Has anyone tried this yet? Or is there another part on their site?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: